Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

In the Shade /Succot

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

In the Shade /Succot

by Harry J » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:52 pm

bsd
Protection from the elements.A roof over our head.But in the final analysis that which is so very deep inside
is beyond & without explanation or description. Alone by itself
h
User

Birger Vejrum

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:42 am

Ringsted, Denmark

Re: In the Shade /Succot

by Birger Vejrum » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:09 am

Hi Harry,

Tonight fish with Gewürtztraminer 2006 from Palladium in Alto Adige. After a nice Barolo 2004 from Gianfranco Alessandria in Monforte d´Alba.

Ciao
Birger
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:41 pm

Tried the Tabor mescha 02,nice wine but wasnt overwhelmed($35),galil mt cabshiraz 05 nice spiciness in the mouth but no finish.yarden viognr was past its time as Rogov predicted and amiad cab res 02 was no longer scoreable again as Rogov predicted.h
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:26 pm

Harry, Hi....

Not surprised at a bit of disappointment in the Mes'cha as that wine like so many others was a victim of the 2002 Israeli curse - that is to say, drinking nicely in their youth but not meant for more than short-term cellaring. My most recent tasting note follows.

Best
Rogov

Tabor, Mes’cha, 2002: A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, this medium to full-bodied red shows firm but well-integrated tannins with spicy oak and generous currant and blackberry fruits, those matched by hints of spices, earthiness and tobacco on the finish. Drinking well but showing first signs of aging. Drink up. Score 88. K
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:30 pm

My own experience not all that rewarding tonight. After an earlier tasting of various Chardonnay wines, none of which very exciting, set aside the 2005 Katzrin Chardonnay. As will be seen in my tasting note (to be posted in the next few minutes), a true oak bomb. Had hoped a few hours might help the wine settle down. It did not.

Happily, right now sipping a 1955 year vintage Armagnac, so all is well with the world.

Best
Rogov
User

Doug Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:11 am

by Doug Z » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:31 pm

your thread title made me think of this reggae tune...

96 degrees in the shade
real hot in the shade

said it was 96 degrees in the shade
ten thousand soldiers on parade
taking i and i to meet a big fat boy
sent from overseas
the queen employ
excellency before you i come
with my representation
you know where i'm coming from

and like birger...(great minds think alike...) we also have fish and gewurtz. but mine is from chile....

Undurraga Gewurztraminer 2007 Central Valley, Chile.

never heard of it before...but it sort of fell into my shopping cart.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
no avatar
User

Alek W

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:34 pm

by Alek W » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:00 am

Last night we had two Israeli 2002 wines, and both were a success. No trace of the curse...

The wines: Carmel Single Vineyard Kerem Zarit Cabernet Sauvignon 2002 (I find it better than Kayoumi and almost as good as Ramat Arad) and Yarden Syrah 2002.

Alek.
no avatar
User

B Kessler

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:36 am

by B Kessler » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:32 pm

Sukkot is a great time of the year here in Israel. The tempratures have moderated from the summer, and there is a cool breeze in the air in the evenings. We have found the Sukkot holiday in particular to be a time to drink many of the better Israeli wines that we have encountered and stored, with friends and family.

Our list so far has included:

Castel Grand Vin 2003 and 2004
Yarden Elrom Cabernet 2001 and 2003
Yarden Cabernet 2003
Yatir Forest (Ya'ar Yatir) 2003
Yarden Syrah 2003
Carmel Limited Edition 2003 and 2004
Yarden Odem Vineyard Chardonay 2004

My two favorites, so far, have been the Yatir Forest 2003 and the Yarden Elrom 2001.

Wishing everyone a continued mo'adim le'simcha and happy holidays!

Regards,
Bill
User

Avi Hein

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:23 pm

Israel

by Avi Hein » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:41 pm

Being taken care of by friends as my wife is busy visiting friends and family in the States (why I'm not ... well, I'll just blame high gas prices).

Friday night took my last bottle of 2007 Carmel Private Collection Cabernet-Merlot. Quite enjoyable, smooth, and was even appreciated by my friends who are not big wine drinkers (their normal choice is Young Selected Moscato!). So hopefully I've opened their palates a bit.

Saturday lunch at another friends was the Barkan Domaine Emerald Riesling. Seems like a decent quaffer in lieu of a citrus (Sprite or 7-Up) soda. More importantly, of course, was the hospitality of friends and the gorgeous view.
It's Israeli Wine 2.0 - HaKerem: The Israeli Wine Blog - http://www.israeli-wine.org
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/avihein - @avihein & http://www.twitter.com/israelwines - @israelwines
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/israelwine
User

Billy M

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:55 am

by Billy M » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:56 am

So far this Succot I have had the following (having guests made the enjoyment all the more complete, not to mention the additional volume):
2001 Yarden El Rom
2004 Castel Grand Vin
2003 Petit Castel
2004 Galil Mountain Yiron Syrah
2004 Castel C
2003 Recanati Reserve Cabernet
2006 Capcanes Peraj Petita
2002 Segal's Kerem Dishon

The El Rom is drinking much better than I remember last Pesach when it seemed to go dumb in the glass. The Castel(s) were all fabulous. The Yiron Syrah was fruit-bountiful. The Recanati was still as good as I last remembered. The only surprise was the Dishon threw off a lot of sediment - first time this has happened for this wine.
Chag Sameach to all.
(aka newlawyer)
Is this stuff on the level or are you just making it up as you go along? (Groucho)
no avatar
User

T Shahar

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:40 am

Helsinki , Finland

by T Shahar » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:55 am

For Friday's night we had Boekenhoutskloof The Chocolate Block 2005 (Syrah, Grenache, Cinsault, Cabernet Sauvignon and Viognier) , it need 3 hours to open up to great syrha blend. the only small issue was the high (14%) alcohol level that a bit overwhelm then nose.
--Tomer--
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:30 am

Continuing, gamla sangiovese 05,wonder if this will deepen w/ aliitle more age and tepperberg silver merlot 06 a nice long mineral finish.h
no avatar
User

EY Han

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by EY Han » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:03 pm

bsd

Hi Harry,

I started off Sukkot the first night by being left with relatively little of my quality ready to drink wines, as I sort of "splurged" from my collection on Rosh haShanah. The first night I contributed last year's Israeli QPR hit - Galil Mountain CS, 2006 as well as this year's new variety to the same winery - the Barbera, 2006. For a simple yet filling and enjoyable dairy brunch the next day we supplemented it by drinking the Elal Valley SB, 2006 and the light, fun Tzuba Sangiovese, 2006.

Friday morning (fourth day of Sukkot) we celebrated a Bris ("Brit Milah" - the Covenant of Circumcision and naming of the newborn boy on the 8th day after birth) and I brought out one of my first purchases of the newly released GHW Yarden, Ortal Vineyard, Merlot, 2004 for the Kiddush cup of the ceremony. At first the father wanted the baby to only have some cheap grape juice but the Moyil before starting the ceremony said that "it is good for a baby to come into the world knowing the taste of good wine," so he started out after the circumcision act by feeding a little grape juice from by soaking it onto a small cloch but then went onto pour a little bit of the wine directly into the baby's mouth. In addition to the "Bris wine," as I reminded people of its special status and purpose as such, I also served the wines of Carmel Private Collection CS-Merlot, 2007; Tabor Merlot, 2007; Tzuba Sangiovese, 2006; and the Yatir Merlot-Shiraz-Cabernet [Franc], 2005.

The night of the fifth day (Shabbat) following the Bris kept it simple to one wine for each meal - the newly released Recanati Reserve Petit Syrah-Zinfandel, 2006 supplementing an Indian Lamb Curry dish; and the Bustan Merlot, 2004 for Shabbat lunch.

Best wishes and chag sameach,
E.Y.
no avatar
User

RShaffer

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:41 pm

Chicago

by RShaffer » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:00 pm

We enjoyed Yiron 2004 last night with friends.

And Yarden Odem Organic Vineyard Chardonnay 2006.

Richard
Richard Shaffer
Israeli Wine Direct
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:22 am

New York

by Menach N » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:50 am

Hi
throughout Sukkot so far had some lovlie wines but unfurtunatly cant remember their full notes :( i guess i would have to try them all again sometime soon :P
Yarden cabernet 2005 - a lovlie wine !! definitly needs more time to relax but still very much enjoyable! quite different then 2004 which i found it to be much more on the fruity side, this 05 had more earthy,herbal,spicy notes with more depth and backbone, great wine
Bustan Syrah 2003 - very smooth and gentle gotta be patiant here for the nose to pick up but rewarding !! picked up some aromas of smokie/spicy beef jerkies :P which i found very attractive ... very.
Carmel LTD 2002- nice and velvety and delicious but the finish .. had something else which ... i dont know ! i have give another try. 3 btls left
Domaine Pinicle apple ice wine NV - very very interesting experience here. at first i was expecting a full dessert -that is to say "sweet"- wine which really its more of a aperitivo then desert because of its tartness but i love apples specially granysmith so .. me happy ! it started off sweet with flavors of backed apples with hints of cinnamon changing to pears and a bit of sweet citrus, once you pass the TOP few layers an explosion of tartness or call it sourness takes over the whole palate and then it finishes off dry to bone dry ! incredible !!!! people around the table didnt "apriciate" it so i just finished the btl my self so i had time to examinate the "wine" properly, personnally i liked it but for 30 $ i dont know, definitly worth the experience for sure. (1 btl left)
Hagafen Prix Zinfandel Moskowite 2005 - i always stayed away from Zins simply because of its overfruity fruitness in the wine but this was a nice suprise, more body & balance then expected, i remember picking up some cinnamon there, overall i must say not bad ! 8)
Hagafen Prix Merlot Reserve Vichy Vineyard Block 4 2005 - nice round soft full flavored wine, strangly enough i pick up BUTTER (?????) mixed in the vanilla, ... still enjoyed the wine :lol:
Covenant Red C 2006 california from a mile away ! nice wine full body and med finish
Benyamina special reserve Viognier 2004 first time for a Viogier, im sure there are better ones out there. this seemed a bit flat but okkei, honey and toasted bread i remember
Ch Malmaison 2001 & 2002 very nice easy drinking wines basic brdx characteristics (which i love) and went well with food, not complex or deep but a nice glass

lovlie wine experience in the past few days !

a wonderfull holiday to all
Best regards
Menach
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:13 pm

A green Israeli campus

by Lior Yogev » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:33 am

Menachem,

I tasted the Carmel Limited 2003-4-5 recently and found the 03 to be in/past it's peak. Haven't had the 02 but it's generally considered significanltly a lesser vintage than the 03 in Israel. Perhaps it would be good to open the remaining 02 bottles in the near future.

Lior.
User

Menach N

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:22 am

New York

by Menach N » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:11 pm

Lior Yogev wrote:Menachem,

I tasted the Carmel Limited 2003-4-5 recently and found the 03 to be in/past it's peak. Haven't had the 02 but it's generally considered significanltly a lesser vintage than the 03 in Israel. Perhaps it would be good to open the remaining 02 bottles in the near future.

Lior.

Will do. Thanks Lior.
i haven't had the 2003 in a while i think i should give it a taste sometime soon, i really hope its not already past its peak, maybe in its peak and holding there for a bit, anyway i cant say much because i havent had it but .... :wink:
all the best ..
Menach
User

Avi Hein

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:23 pm

Israel

by Avi Hein » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:41 pm

I enjoy soda. I grew up drinking soda. I like sweet sodas far more than sour coffee or other sour foods. So, that's going to be my comment on the two wines I had for Shimini Atzeret, which concludes the litany of Jewish holidays this month (for those outside of Israel [except for those affiliated with the American Reform movement], it lasts one additional day, until tomorrow night). At friends, I had the Bartenura Malvasia 2007 for holiday dinner last night and, with most of the same people, for lunch this afternoon, I had the same - Bartenura Mavasia 2007 and also the famous "blue bottle" Bartenura Moscoto 2007 - it reminded me a lot of the citrusy 7-Up, and, well, I do enjoy 7-Up, and was an interesting wine with a cheese cake for dessert.
It's Israeli Wine 2.0 - HaKerem: The Israeli Wine Blog - http://www.israeli-wine.org
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/avihein - @avihein & http://www.twitter.com/israelwines - @israelwines
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/israelwine
no avatar
User

Mike BG

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:25 pm

Maale Adumim, Israel

by Mike BG » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:29 pm

Lior Yogev wrote:Menachem,
I tasted the Carmel Limited 2003-4-5 recently and found the 03 to be in/past it's peak.
Lior.

We enjoyed a bottle this week. Definitely NOT past its peak, in fact showing much better than the last time we had it, maybe six months ago. It was very, very enjoyable.
The real star this chag though was the Yarden Ortal Syrah 2004. It was excellent a few months ago, but is now just incredible. I already have built up quite a stock but am going to try to get more, as it really is quite special.