Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

At Last! Negative Impacts of Even Moderate Wine Drinking

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:38 pm

After fifteen years of being bombarded on a bi-weekly basis by the good news about wine consumption (in moderation said to be good for nearly everything that ails us), finally a report that suggests a possible harm. Simply stated: To consume alcohol is to shrink the brain.

As to whether brain shrinkage has any impact whatsoever on cognitive or any other human abilities, I'll leave that to those who studied neuroscience. See the CNN article at http://edition.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet ... pstoryview

Comments, amusing, sarcastic or serious will be most welcome.

Best
Rogov
User

Ehud W

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:57 am

Re: At Last! Negative Impacts of Wine Drinking

by Ehud W » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:31 pm

From the article:
"Men were more likely to be heavy drinkers than women. But the link between brain volume and alcohol wasn't as strong in men. For men, only those who were heavy drinkers had a smaller brain volume than those who consumed little or no alcohol.
In women, even moderate drinkers had a smaller brain volume than abstainers or former drinkers. "

Rogov - so, do you still trust the She-God after all?

As for myself, reading the bottom line shows the real weight of the whole research (all bold marks are mine):
"However, the study did not demonstrate that the smaller brain volume actually impaired memory or mental function...
And the differences between brain volumes in drinkers and nondrinkers were quite small -- less than 1.5 percent between abstainers and heavy drinkers."
You see, they claim that the normal rate of brain shrinkage is 2% every 10 years, but the heavy drinking effect is less than 1.5%! To me it sounds like what we hear in every public opinion poll - "less than the sample error".
Ehud
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: At Last! Negative Impacts of Even Moderate Wine Drinking

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:50 pm

Ehud, Hi.....

Your observation taken from the article: "In women, even moderate drinkers had a smaller brain volume than abstainers or former drinkers. " Your question: "Rogov - so, do you still trust the She-God after all?"

Well, as long as we men are playing with God, women and brains one might speculate that smaller = more concentrated = better focused.

Best
Rogov
User

Ehud W

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:57 am

by Ehud W » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:40 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:... one might speculate that smaller = more concentrated = better focused...

That leads to the only logical conclusion, if one accepts this speculation: we should become heavy drinkers, so our brains shrink and become smaller, more concentrated and better focused :lol:
I'll raise a toast for that :!:
Ehud
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:21 pm

Yup....but when one exceeds a certain amount of alcoholic intake the brain cells die more rapidly. Have to find that happy medium of shrnkage and concentration.

And, as points of record, even though Woody Allen dismissed the brain as "my second favorite organ", it was the superb Hercule Poirot who credited his abilities in the fields of logic and detection to "ze little grey cells". And not to forget that excess can lead to Hogarth etchings such as "Gin Lane"

Best
Rogov
Attachments
hogarth_william_ginlane.jpg
(80.07 KiB) Downloaded 631 times