Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Israel 2004 vintage vs 2005

no avatar
User

Warren B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:43 am

Lawrence,NY

Israel 2004 vintage vs 2005

by Warren B » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:28 pm

Hi Daniel

I am just back from spending the holidays in Israel. I visited Galil Mountain winery and had an enjoyable tasting there.
The nice young man who was our guide told us that the winery feeels that their 2004 vintage was better than their 2005. Do you agree? Also, in general which vintage do you think produced better wines in Israel?
Thanks
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Israel 2004 vintage vs 2005

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:46 am

Warren, Hi...

As seen by my vintage summaries that follow, overall the two years were of very near equal quality. With regard specifically to Galil Mountain, my tasting notes indicate that here too there was a near parity, perhaps with a barely marginal leaning towards 2005 as a somewhat better year.

Best
Rogov

2005 Vintage Rating 89

One of the most promising years in the last decade, with a prolonged harvest of overall high quality, exceptionally good in many parts of the country for reds and whites alike. Barrel tastings reveal wines of excellent balance, structure and aging potential. C

2004 Vintage Rating 88

Colder than average temperatures and heavy rainfall during the winter months followed by an unusually warm and dry period during March and April caused early budbreak in warmer vineyards. Relatively cool temperatures returned in May leading to a relatively short and hectic harvest but with an overall excellent crop. A promising year. D/C
no avatar
User

Warren B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:43 am

Lawrence,NY

by Warren B » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:42 am

Thanks Daniel!

But how valuable is a general rating for an entire country when the terroir of each individual region is SOOOO different?
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:34 am

Warren B wrote:But how valuable is a general rating for an entire country when the terroir of each individual region is SOOOO different?

Warren, Hi....

Indeed a good point but in my own defense as well as in the defense of such ratings, all vintage ratings are little more than summary statements. I can easily understand how in France for example, one might break down vintage ratings to individual areas (e.g. Bordeaux, Burgundy, Loire, Rhone, Alsace, etc) and can even understand how one can sub-divide several of those areas (e.g. left and right banks at Bordeaux, northern and southern Rhone). In each of those cases however we are talking about vineyard plantings that are larger than the entire land area of Israel. And of course one can go even further (in Bordeaux for example, by individual villages; in Burgundy to specific villages or even to 1er and Grand cru). All of which eventually leads to an ad absurdium where we are left with individual ratings ot only for each producer but for each of their wines...... in other words, wine tasting notes.

True, in some cases (e.g. in Tom Stevenson's World Wine Report), I will divide my Israeli vintage ratings for whites and reds. Beyond that, however, despite different climates, micro-climates and soil conditions, the overall vintage ratings seem to hold fairly well. In the end, however, specific wines from specific wineries will show a huge range and that no matter how far we "break down" the ratings. As a single example - think for example of almost neighboring wineries such as Flam and Mony.

Best
Rogov