Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN: Yarden and CdG cabs

no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:13 pm

A green Israeli campus

WTN: Yarden and CdG cabs

by Lior Yogev » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:43 pm

I posted this on Wine Focus and thought it might be of interest here as well.
Thursday evening I had the pleasure of joinning the neighbouring Israeli Wine Forum in a tasting held at Wine and Gourmet's tasting room. Each participant brought a bottle with him/her and we tasted the wines (full-)blind in three flights, knowing only the vintage year.

Golan Heights Winery, Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 - Dark towards deep ruby on the rim, red fruit, oriental spices and a hint of earth. Medium-full body with pleasant texture, spices, right amount of tannins towards medium-length, fruity finish. Pleasant, balanced and doesn't show any sign of age. Beautiful now and will develop comfortably in the next 5 years if not more.

Clos de Gat, Har`el Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 - Dark ruby-purple, restrained fruit, vanila and oak, nice texture, rich, lively dryness, gentleness, medium-length finish, fruity and dry. Interesting, showing some elegance but perhaps better to wait a couple of years with this one.

In my opinion, the Yarden was the best wine tasted, followed by Vitkin's 2005 Petite-Sirah (I can post more WTNs should anyone be interested).

Lior.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: WTN: Yarden and CdG cabs

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:22 am

Lior, Hi....

Please do post your other tasting notes here. Always good to read.

Thanks
Rogov
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Wine guru

A green Israeli campus

by Lior Yogev » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:40 am

Vitkin Petite Sirah 2005 - Completely opaque dark purple, opens with asphalt, notes of coffee, rich forest fruit and black pepper. Full bodied, juicy, tannic, fruity and concentrated. Medium-long finish, spicey and fruity. Intense wine, rich and unique.

Margalit Cabernet Franc 2004 - Dark ruby to purple, the nose opens with green pepper, subtle fruit and hints of coffee. Smooth mouthfeel, medium body, pleasant fruit, elegant, more fruit on the medium finish. Pleasant to drink and well made.

Psagot Odem 2005 - Dark purple, ripe plums and raspberries, vanila and herbs. Full bodied, fruity and balanced, spicey on the medium-long finish. Modern and well made.

With the above two those are my five favourites from the 11 wines tasted blind. I rated them as follow:
Yarden, Viktin, Margalit, Psagot, CdG.

I must say the Yarden and Vitkin, besides being excellent - were truly exciting to drink, and stood up above others. The Margalit surprised many with its elegance, while CdG didn't surprise with its elegance.

For desert we had (non-blind) the recently released 2005 Yiron which was excellent, and reminded me of the 2002 vintage. More ready to drink IMO than the 2004 was on release, and perhaps the best vintage so far.

Rogov, could you please post your own notes as well?

Lior.
Attachments
wines.jpg
(68.53 KiB) Downloaded 847 times
Galil-mountain-Yiron-2005.jpg
Yiron 2005
(82.79 KiB) Downloaded 848 times
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:05 pm

Lior, Hi...

As requested, following are my own most recent tasting notes for each of the wines in question.

Best
Rogov

Yarden, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2001: Full-bodied with finely tuned balance between wood, tannins and fruits. Showing plum, wild berry and spicy currant fruits, and reflecting its 18 months in oak with appealing overlays of vanilla, cedar, tobacco and cocoa. Drink now–2013. Score 91. K

Clos de Gat, Cabernet Sauvignon, Har'el, 2004: Full-bodied and firmly tannic, reflecting its 12 months in oak with spicy wood which yields in the glass to reveal currants, black cherries and purple plums, those supported nicely by hints of chocolate and cigar tobacco. Fine balance and structure. Drink now–2012. Score 90.

Vitkin, Petite Sirah, 2005: Made from old-vine grapes and oak-aged for 16 months. Full-bodied, impenetrably dark purple-black, with deep spicy overlays and firm tannins all coming together beautifully. On the nose and palate blackberry and blueberries, those matched nicely by notes of white pepper, tobacco and cedar, and on the long finish enchanting hints of raspberry jam. Drink now–2012. Score 91.

Margalit, Cabernet Franc, 2004: Deeply fragrant, this full-bodied wine was blended with 12% Cabernet Sauvignon. Silky-smooth tannins, black and red fruits, hints of tobacco and chocolate come together on a long, mouth-filling finish with an appealing hint of freshly turned earth. Drink now–2011. Score 90.

Psagot, Edom, 2005: Deep garnet in color, this blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot (75% and 25% respectively) opens with a rich vanilla and white chocolate nose, then settles down in the glass to reveal aromas and flavors of black cherries, plums and currants. Medium to full-bodied, with soft but mouth-coating tannins, a good touch of spicy cedarwood and on the finish an appealing earthy minerality. Drink now. Score 88. K

Galil Mountain, Yiron, 2005: A Bordeaux-plus wine—that is to say, 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 44% Merlot and 2% Petit Verdot, plus 4% Syrah. Full-bodied and concentrated but simultaneously soft and elegant, with generous cassis and black fruits, with velvety tannins and reflecting its 16 months in French oak with gently spicy and dusty wood, all of which lead to a super-long finish. Perhaps the best to date from the winery. Approachable and thoroughly enjoyable now but best 2010–2015. NIS 100. Score 93. K
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Wine guru

A green Israeli campus

by Lior Yogev » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:27 pm

Thanks,

I think we see eye to eye more or less. The drinking windows I estimate match quite well to your predictions.

Lior.