Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

TNR (PNR?) Entry level Ports

no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:13 pm

A green Israeli campus

TNR (PNR?) Entry level Ports

by Lior Yogev » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:41 pm

Hello

Could I please have TNs for the following:

Sandeman Tawny Porto
Warre's King's Tawny Port
Warre's Warrior Tawny Port 10 years

Any suggestions for additional ports of a similar price range (which are imported) are welcome.

Thanks !
User

Loweeel

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:05 pm

Triangle Below Canal, New York, NY, USA

Re: TNR (PNR?) Entry level Ports

by Loweeel » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:15 am

Lior Yogev wrote:Hello

Could I please have TNs for the following:

Sandeman Tawny Porto
Warre's King's Tawny Port
Warre's Warrior Tawny Port 10 years

Any suggestions for additional ports of a similar price range (which are imported) are welcome.

Thanks !

Lior, I don't know what's imported, but keep an eye out for LBV ports and Crusted Ports (like Dow's Crusted).
http://PSychospath.com -- The PSychos' Path: the long road to being crazy about Petite Sirah
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:38 pm

Lior, Hi....

Following are my most recent tasting notes for the wines in question and several suggestions....

Best
Rogov

Sandeman, Tawny Port, n.v. Consistent from year to year, a medium-bodied wine with moderate sweetness and showing berry, black cherry and hazelnuts on the palate, those followed by a light salty note that lingers nicely. Not complex but a good bet with walnuts and Stilton cheese. Score 84.

Warre, King's Tawny Port, n.v.: Aged in wood for three years, medium- to full-bodied with generous sweetness set off nicely by aromas and flavors of black cherries, Mediterranean herbs and caremlized apples. Fresh and exuberant despite its sweetness. Score 87.

Warre's, Warrior Tawny Port, 10 years, n.v.: If tawny is your thing, this is your wine. Plums, cherries, prunes, chocolate and honeyed dried peaches on the nose and palate. Shows generous caramel-like sweetness with generous hints of iodine. Full-bodied and long. Needs a fine Gorgonzola or Stilton cheese. Score 90.

As to other to look for, difficult to know what is on the shelves these days but worth looking for other wine from these Port lodges as well as

Graham, Tawny Port 10 years old,
Ferreira, Tawny Port, NV
Taylor Fladgate, 10 Year Old Tawny Port,
Gould Campbell, 10 Year Old Tawny Port, n.v.
Dow, 10 Year Old Tawny Port, n.v.

Also to consider are the LBV (Late Bottled Vintage Ports) which are far less dear than the Vintage Ports. If you see anyu that beckon, don't hesitate to ask for tasting notes on those.

You might also want to take a peek at my little piece at http://www.stratsplace.com/rogov/englis ... _wine.html

Best
Rogov
User

Doug Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:11 am

by Doug Z » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:25 pm

Also to consider are the LBV (Late Bottled Vintage Ports) which are far less dear than the Vintage Ports. If you see anyu that beckon, don't hesitate to ask for tasting notes on those

how about cockburns LBV port 2001?
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Ultra geek

A green Israeli campus

by Lior Yogev » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:30 pm

Thanks for the informative replies and the link.

The second warre's sound nice, but I found that "Otima" and "Warrior's" are different labels. Which one does the TN refer to?

Example: http://www.winedepot.co.il/Catalogs.asp ... CatID=080_

Thanks,

Lior.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:37 pm

Lior, Hi....

Indeed two different wines. I have made the correction above. Thanks for picking that up.

Best
Rogov
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:46 pm

Doug, Hi.....

When it comes to LBV you won't go wrong with this one. My tasting note follows.

Best
Rogov

Cockburn, LBV Port, 2001: A delicious LBV! Full-bodied and intense on first attack, then softening nicely to show off a character of dried plums, cherries and raisins, those on a background of freshly roasted herbs. Drink now-2010. Score 90. (Tasted 27 Feb 2006)
User

Doug Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:11 am

by Doug Z » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:50 pm

thanks...i picked it up on recent trip to holland at the schipol duty free...
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
User

Ehud W

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:57 am

by Ehud W » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:43 pm

I support the "LBV concept", the wines are much more approachable than Vintage ports and cost a fraction of the later.
Usually, their quality is very good to excellent.
And yes, Lior, you can find it in Israel.
Ehud
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Ultra geek

A green Israeli campus

by Lior Yogev » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:52 pm

LBVs seem to be a popular recommendation (also outside the forum). Any particular names to seek after?

Lior.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:07 pm

Lior, Hi.....

As I say, difficult to know precisely what is on the shelves now but you will not go wrong in looking for any year between 1997 and 2001 of the following Port Lodges, all of which have at one time or another appeared in various wine shops locally.:

Grahams
Calem
Taylor Fladgate
Quinta do Noval
Warre
Osborne
Ongley
Sandeman
Churchill

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Ultra geek

A green Israeli campus

by Lior Yogev » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:09 pm

Thanks again,

I'll follow-up when it's purchased and tasted.

Lior.
User

Loweeel

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:05 pm

Triangle Below Canal, New York, NY, USA

by Loweeel » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:51 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:Lior, Hi.....

As I say, difficult to know precisely what is on the shelves now but you will not go wrong in looking for any year between 1997 and 2001 of the following Port Lodges, all of which have at one time or another appeared in various wine shops locally.:

Grahams
Calem
Taylor Fladgate
Quinta do Noval
Warre
Osborne
Ongley
Sandeman
Churchill

Best
Rogov

Lior, I would also add to this list the Niepoort LBV if you come across it. I am a big fan of the Niepoort house style, and find their quality consistently excellent. Just my 8 agorot.
http://PSychospath.com -- The PSychos' Path: the long road to being crazy about Petite Sirah
no avatar
User

Norm N

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:58 pm

by Norm N » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:16 am

On the topic of LBV's, I would suggest some care in picking up "older" vintages. Some of these ports were produced with early drinking in mind and were heavily filtered. I believe that Graham's is an example if this. On the other hand, other houses produce an LBV which is simply a more approachable version of vintage port i.e. throws a sendiment and can age for many years.eg. Noval.

Cheers,
Norm
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:43 pm

Tel Aviv, Israel

by YoelA » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:53 pm

For those in the US

Two better suggestions.

Trader joe's usually carries a 10-year old tawny port from Quarles Harris for about $ 15.00. It's lighter in body than some 10-year old tawnies but very tasty. The price is less than any other 10-year-old tawny I have seen and barely higher than the nonvintage tawny.

For a little more money one can buy a 10-year tawny at Costco under their house "Kirkland" brand that is even better. One of the top port houses makes it; I forget which one. I think the price is about $ 20 or so.

And for under $ 40, the Kirkland 20-year tawny is excellent. It's made by Fonseca. So if you like the entry-level tawnies, do yourself a favor and buy a bottle of that for special occasion use.

[required legal disclaimer: I am in no way associated with Costco except as a consumer]
no avatar
User

Norm N

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:58 pm

by Norm N » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:16 pm

YoelA wrote:For a little more money one can buy a 10-year tawny at Costco under their house "Kirkland" brand that is even better. One of the top port houses makes it; I forget which one. I think the price is about $ 20 or so.

My wife and I buy alot of different Kirkland products but I just could never bring myself to buy Kirkland brand wine, no matter how good it might be. Just feels wrong....like make a cappuccino from a powder mix. Here in Ontario, Costco is not allowed to sell wine, but even if they did, I just couldn't put it into my shopping cart along with our cereal, toilet paper, and baby diapers....

Cheers,
Norm
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Ultra geek

A green Israeli campus

by Lior Yogev » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:13 pm

A small follow-up, I purchased the Warrior's today. The recommendations for LBVs are not ignored, I just wanted to begin with something which is more... entry level (both in complexity and price). Probably my next purchases will include LBVs as well.

Just one newbie question: storing it after opening - vacuum? recork? winter room-temp?

Thanks,

Lior.
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Ultra geek

A green Israeli campus

by Lior Yogev » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:59 pm

After tasting and enjoying it several times - I'm following up.

Warre’s Warrior Port NV - Fresh fruit, roasted oak, spices, raisins and choclate. Thick, fruity, good unagressive sharpness, sweet but the acidity keeps it under control, long fruity-spicey finish. Two words: tasty and balanced.

Thanks again for the recommendations. I'll try to seek out some of the LBV suggestions brought up here.

Lior.

P.S.
A question of definition. I looked it up at Warre's website and they don't state "tawny" or "10 years" (on the King's - they do). Was I mistaken before?

http://www.warre.com/conteudos.asp?cont ... le=Warrior