Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

older TN's kosher bordeaux

no avatar
User

Motti K

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:35 pm

older TN's kosher bordeaux

by Motti K » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:59 pm

dear rogov,
can you pls provide me with the following notes, all kosher :
piada 2001
labegorce zede 2000
lafon rochet 2001
leosville poyferre 1999
haut condissas 2001
matras 2002
smith haut laffite 2002 - i missed the ageing expectation.
and
domaine st.benoit laureline 2005

thanks a million motti
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: older TN's kosher bordeaux

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Motti, Hello and Welcome to the Forum....

Following are my most recent tasting notes for those of the wines on your list question that I have tasted. Tasting notes without dates were re-tasted during my American trip a week ago.

Best
Rogov

Chateau Piada, Sauternes, Kosher Edition, 2001: Medium- to full-bodied, with generous botrytis overtones that run throughout and revealing moderately sweet but remarkably rich aromas and flavors of dried summer fruits, citrus peel, and what at one moment feels like white chocolate and another mazipan. Look for a long finish with a honeyed white-bread finish. Drink now-2012. Score 92.

Chateau Labegorce Zede, Margaux, 2001 (Kosher Edition): A wine that has beguiled in the four times that I have tasted it, that because it has always shown better than the regular (i.e. the non-kosher edition) and because it seems to show positive and unanticipated developments in the bottle each time I taste it. Full-bodied, with fine balance between gently mouth-coating tannins and dusty oak. Opens to reveal a complex array of blackcurrant, blackberry and purple plums on a spicy and vanilla-rich background. Generous and long and perhaps finally showing its best. Drink now-2011. Score 90. K

Chateau Lafon Rochet, St.-Estephe, 2001 (Kosher Edition): Dark ruby towards garnet, full bodied, with blackcurrant and berry fruits somewhat held in check by firm tannins and a rather heavy hand with the oak. Drink up. Score 85.K
Chateau Leoville Poyferre, St.-Julien (Kosher Edition), 1999: Medium-bodied, with soft tannins and showing straightforwards berry, black cherry and plum fruits on a lightly spicy background. Not complex but quite pleasant and, as predicted at release, destined for early drinking. Drink now or in the next year or so. Score 86. K (Re-tasted 7 Nov 2007)

Chateau Condissas, Medoc, 2001 (Kosher Edition): Medium bodied, with good balance between soft tannins and wood and a generous currant and berry personality and appealing hints of spices and minerals. Drink now – 2005. Score 87. K. (Tasted 22 Jun 2003)

Chateau Smith Haute-Lafitte, Pessac-Leognan, 2002: Medium- to full-bodied, with soft tannins and gentle toasty wood influences settling in nicely to reveal a complex array of blackberry, blackcurrant and cherry notes, those on a background of earthy-minerals and Oriental spices. Almost impenetrably dark royal purple in color and with a long and intense finish on which the tannins rise nicely. Drink now-2013. Score 90.

Domaine St. Benoit, Chateauneuf du Pape, Laureline, 2005: Garnet towards royal purple in color, medium- to full-bodied, with firm tannins only now starting to settle in. Opens slowly in the glass to reveal generous purple plum, black berry and blackberry fruits, those supported by hints of spicy cedar wood and hints of smoked meat. Best from 2009. Score 88. K
no avatar
User

Motti K

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:35 pm

by Motti K » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:31 pm

thank you rogov,
nearly had a heart attack on the haut condissas ...on the labegorce zede i'm looking for the 2000 and by any chance do you have a TN for the kosher sarget 2000.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:01 pm

Motti, Hi.....

As much as I adore wine, women and song, no wine, woman or song is worth a coronary!

As to the tasting notes - those follow.

Best
Rogov

Chateau Labegorce Zede, Margaux, 2000 (Kosher Edition): If you like the 1990 wine from this Chateau you’ll adore this one. Excellent balance and length, with lots of currants, berries and flowers, this medium to full bodied wine is soft, ripe and abundant in every way and should drink nicely for 10 - 15 years. Score 90. K. (Re-tasted 6 Jun 2003)

Sarget de Gruaud-Larose, St.-Julien, (Kosher Edition), 2000: Medium- to full-bodied, with firm tannins that even now seem not to want to yield and those holding back the black fruit, spices and chocolate that struggle not fully successfully to get through. Score 85. (Re-tasted 9 Jun 2004)
no avatar
User

Michael P

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:23 pm

by Michael P » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:09 am

I guess no notes on any Matras editions? I think 2003 or 2004 also had a Kosher version...?
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:25 pm

Michael, Hi....

Aha...you guess wrong in this case. Tasted fairly recently.

Best
Rogov

Following are my tasting notes for the 2002 and 2004 vintages of Chateau Matras. I have marked both as being "kosher editions" but I do not know if this estate produces a non-kosher wine.

Chateau Matras, St. Emilion, 2002 (Kosher Edition): Medium- to full-bodied, traditionally Bordeaux with its blackberry and blackcurrant fruits, those complemented by notes of mocha, spring flowers and mint. Generous and mouth-filling. Drink now-2012. Score 87. K (Tasted 26 Jun 2009)

Chateau Matras, St. Emilion, 2004 (Kosher Edition): Ruby towards garnet, with a rich floral, crushed berry and coffee nose. Medium- perhaps medium- to full-bodied, opens to show still firm tannins and generous spicy wood waiting to settle down but in fine balance with blackberry and cassis fruits, those supported nicely by hints of roast meat and balsamico. Near-elegant. Best 2010-2015. Score 89. K (Tasted 26 Jun 2009)
no avatar
User

Michael P

Rank

Ultra geek

by Michael P » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:38 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Chateau Condissas, Medoc, 2001 (Kosher Edition): Medium bodied, with good balance between soft tannins and wood and a generous currant and berry personality and appealing hints of spices and minerals. Drink now – 2005. Score 87. K. (Tasted 22 Jun 2003)

Rogov,

Thanks for all the TN's today!

Has Condiassas made a Kosher version since 2001? If so, do you have TN's?

Thanks!
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:47 pm

Michael, Hi.....

To the best of my knowledge, Condiassas has not released another kosher edition. I will, however, put out a few fingers to see if I can find further information.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Michael P

Rank

Ultra geek

by Michael P » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:58 pm

Just keeping track of the kosher French wines could be a full-time job! Some vintages, yes, others, no. Also as a general they are harder to find and the prices do not seem to always correlate with taste/quality. I am hoping we see more 2005 vintage!

I tried searching your tasting notes, the website says you are adding 50 TN's a day - is that accurate?

Thanks again.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:02 pm

That is indeed accurate. The main job of one of my assistance (starting on 15 July) is precisely that updating. I figure she'll have all the notes done in another decade or so. 8)

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Keith Levenberg

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:25 pm

by Keith Levenberg » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:03 pm

I've only had the kosher Smith Haut Lafitte once but from my experience with the non-kosher version it's a wine I'd drink young. It's a brash modern-styled Bordeaux built to impress on release and some years hold longer than others but it's pretty much all downhill from there.
no avatar
User

Michael P

Rank

Ultra geek

by Michael P » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Motti, Hi.....

As much as I adore wine, women and song, no wine, woman or song is worth a coronary!

As to the tasting notes - those follow.

Best
Rogov

Chateau Labegorce Zede, Margaux, 2000 (Kosher Edition): If you like the 1990 wine from this Chateau you’ll adore this one. Excellent balance and length, with lots of currants, berries and flowers, this medium to full bodied wine is soft, ripe and abundant in every way and should drink nicely for 10 - 15 years. Score 90. K. (Re-tasted 6 Jun 2003)
Sarget de Gruaud-Larose, St.-Julien, (Kosher Edition), 2000: Medium- to full-bodied, with firm tannins that even now seem not to want to yield and those holding back the black fruit, spices and chocolate that struggle not fully successfully to get through. Score 85. (Re-tasted 9 Jun 2004)

Rogov,

Have you tasted the 2003 Sarget kosher edition?

thanks.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:48 pm

Michael, Hi...

Following is my tasting note for the wine in question.

Best
Rogov

Sarget de Gruaud Larose, St. Julien, 2003 (Kosher Edition): Another good effort for the kosher edition of this second wine of Gruaud Larose. Medium- to full-bodied, with firm tannins and spicy wood integrating nicely. Opens to reveal blackcurrant, blackberry and citrus peel notes, those supported comfortably by notes of tobacco and mocha. On the long finish an appealing note of black licorice. Drink now-2014. Score 90. K (Tasted twice with consistent notes 14 and 19 Jan 2010)
no avatar
User

Michael P

Rank

Ultra geek

by Michael P » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:46 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Michael, Hi...

Following is my tasting note for the wine in question.

Best
Rogov

Sarget de Gruaud Larose, St. Julien, 2003 (Kosher Edition): Another good effort for the kosher edition of this second wine of Gruaud Larose. Medium- to full-bodied, with firm tannins and spicy wood integrating nicely. Opens to reveal blackcurrant, blackberry and citrus peel notes, those supported comfortably by notes of tobacco and mocha. On the long finish an appealing note of black licorice. Drink now-2014. Score 90. K (Tasted twice with consistent notes 14 and 19 Jan 2010)

Rogov,

One more please: a 2003 Kosher Hermitage? Have you ever tasted?
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:55 pm

Michael, Hi.....

I have almost certainly tasted the wine but cannot do a search or give feedback without knowing the name of the winery, producer or negotiant whose name will be on the label.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Michael P

Rank

Ultra geek

by Michael P » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:58 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Michael, Hi.....

I have almost certainly tasted the wine but cannot do a search or give feedback without knowing the name of the winery, producer or negotiant whose name will be on the label.

Best
Rogov

Imported to the US by IDS. Is that enough?
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:13 pm

Michael, Hi…

Your clue gives me what I need. The wine is not "a Hermitage", for Hermitage is a Rhone wine but in this case the wine comes from Chateau l'Hermitage in Bordeaux. My tasting note follows.

Best
Rogov

Chateau l'Hermitage, St. Emilion, 2003 (Kosher Edition): Dark garnet, full-bodied, with generous but gently caressing tannins and notes of spicy wood reflecting the 18 months the wine spent in new barriques. On the nose and palate generous blackberry and cassis fruits, those on a spicy and mineral-rich background. On the long finish hints of green olives and licorice. Drink now-2016. Score 90. K (Tasted 17 Feb 2010)
no avatar
User

Michael P

Rank

Ultra geek

by Michael P » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:25 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Michael, Hi…

Your clue gives me what I need. The wine is not "a Hermitage", for Hermitage is a Rhone wine but in this case the wine comes from Chateau l'Hermitage in Bordeaux. My tasting note follows.

Best
Rogov

Chateau l'Hermitage, St. Emilion, 2003 (Kosher Edition): Dark garnet, full-bodied, with generous but gently caressing tannins and notes of spicy wood reflecting the 18 months the wine spent in new barriques. On the nose and palate generous blackberry and cassis fruits, those on a spicy and mineral-rich background. On the long finish hints of green olives and licorice. Drink now-2016. Score 90. K (Tasted 17 Feb 2010)

Excellent that's the wine. I noticed the tasting date - have you recently retasted a bunch of Kosher french?
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:35 pm

Michael P wrote:... have you recently retasted a bunch of Kosher french?

Indeed I have and continue to do so. That's the price I have to pay for writing my kosher wine book. 8)

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

sam.mahler

Rank

Just got here

Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:57 am

by sam.mahler » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:03 am

Sarget 2005 , some one know if it's Kosher and where can i get?