Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Margalit 2007: The Tasting Notes

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:28 pm

Today's at-home tasting was a pot-pourri of reds from the 2007 vintage, nearly half of which Israeli and those either varietal wines or blends from Cabernet Sauvigjnon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc grapes. I knew that the newly released Margalit wines were to be set on my tasting table this week, and today, it seems was the day. Interestingly enough, as I got to each of the Margalit wines I recognized them immediately, for whatever it is that Margalit Pere et Fils (that is to say, Yair and Asaf) are doing, they are certainly doing it right and their joint signature is always apparent. I had tasted all but one of these wines while still in barrels. Following are my fully updated tasting notes.

Best
Rogov

Margalit, Cabernet Sauvignon, Special Reserve, 2007: Intense and concentrated, so firmly tannic at this stage that you might think it searing. No fear, however, for those tannins are in fine balance with wood and fruit, the wine shows an enviable structure and all that is required for this one to show its glory is time. Destined to always be muscular, those muscles with an elegant and not at all showy note, as the wine develops look for currant, black cherry and blackberry fruits, those with hints of black pepper, nutmeg and licorice, all leading to a long, generous finish. Best 2011 or 2012-2020. Score 94. (Tasted 9 Mar 2009)

Margalit, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2007: Made from intentionally early-harvested grapes, full-bodied, green and tannic, with brambly undertones and black licorice on first attack, those yielding to black currant, tobacco and espresso coffee aromas and flavors. As the wine develops look as well for notes of olives and truffles. Still quite solid but showing fine balance and structure and already starting to open to reveal an underlying finesse. Best 2010 or 2011- 2017. Score 92. (Re-tasted 9 Mar 2009)

Margalit, Merlot, 2007: Anything but one of those rather boring internationalized Merlots that we have come to so dread! Medium to full-bodied, earthy, with big but velvety tannins and ripe purple plum, currant and blackberry fruits. Long and soft on the palate, with a finish that goes on and on. Approachable and enjoyable now but best from 2010-2017. Score 93. (Re-tasted 9 Mar 2009)

Margalit, Cabernet Franc, 2007: Unless you can buy a case or two of this one so that you can follow its history over time, don't dare open this one now. Still a baby and because of that not yet showing its full charms but with already revealing remarkable promise. Full-bodied, with gently mouth-coating tannins, opens to reveal traditional Cabernet Franc "greenness", that yielding comfortably to blackberry, blueberry and cassis fruits, those complemented by notes of sweet peppers, green olives and an appealing note of garrigue. Give this one time to show its elegance. Best 2011-2018, perhaps longer. Score 93. (Re-tasted 9 Mar 2009)

Margalit, Enigma, 2007: Every bit as good as at component barrel tastings. Full-bodied, with soft tannins that coat the mouth gently and opening to reveal a complex array of wild berries, black and red cherries and currants, those complemented by an intriguing melange of freshly roasted herbs and a touch of fresh-forest floor. Surprisingly approachable even now but best 2011-2017. Score 92. (Re-tasted 9 Mar 2009)

As has been noted elsewhere on the forum (but worth repeating now) Yair and Assaf Margalit will be holding an open house at their winery (not far from Hadera) on three consecutive Fridays and Saturdays - 21 and 21 March; 27 and 28 March; and 3 and 4th April. The winery will be open on each of those days from 10:00-16:00. The purpose will be allow tastings and to make at-winery purchases of the just released 2007 wines.

The wines being offered are listed below, each with its price at the winery and then, in parentheses, at the stores on release.

Margalit, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2007: NIS 165 (NIS 200-220)
Margalit, Merlot, 2007: NIS 165 (NIS 200-220)
Margalit, Cabernet Franc, 2007: NIS 165 (NIS 200-220)
Margalit, Enigma, 2007: NIS 190 (NIS 230-250)
Margalit, Cabernet Sauvignon, Special Reserve, 2007 NIS 230 (NIS 300-320)

As a courtesy, let the winery know when you will be arriving. To do that and to receive a map with precise instructions on how to get there by car phone 04 6262059 or send an email to marwine@netvision.net.il
User

Loweeel

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:05 pm

Triangle Below Canal, New York, NY, USA

Re: Margalit 2007: The Tasting Notes

by Loweeel » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:36 pm

Rogov,

Do you know the % of PS in the Special Reserve '07?
http://PSychospath.com -- The PSychos' Path: the long road to being crazy about Petite Sirah
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:39 pm

Loweel.....

As always, Margalit uses some of their "special" Petite Sirah in their Special Reserve but I do not yet know the percentage used this year. Will inquire.....

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:50 pm

Daniel, Hi,

Thanks for posting the notes so quickly.
As for the Margalit, Enigma, 2007 which I had the rare opportunity to taste some time ago:

Surprisingly approachable even now

Beautifully described!!!!

Eli
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:49 pm

Loweeel wrote:Do you know the % of PS in the Special Reserve '07?

Just received an email from Yair Margalit. There is 18% of Petite Sirah in the blend this year.

Best
Rogov