Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Wine and Culinary Poll #30: Passover and Easter

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:47 am

Passover and Easter are coming up rapidly, each in its own way a holiday that celebrates spring, freedom and rebirth. While some of us are deeply religious and others not, nearly all of us will celebrate one of these holidays, the celebration of which calls for special feasts.

What are your culinary plans for the eve of Passover and/or Easter Sunday? Be as detailed as you wish in describing lthe dishes you will be serving, the wines you will be serving and other traditions surrounding the meals that you will be observing.

To each in his/her own way, a joyous Passover and Easter.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

Re: Wine and Culinary Poll #30: Passover and Easter

by Adam M » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:33 pm

The menu is pretty much set, though the wine selection is still up in the air and I'd love anyone's input on which of the wines listed below would pair best with each of the following three dishes.

In addition to the traditional voluminous Moroccan salads, the main courses will include the following:

1."Pastel", which is a flattened meatball patty with middle eastern spices (e.g., cardamon) inside a finely mashed potato ball, the coated in egg and fried in extra light olive oil. This is really a just warm up dish. Will goe great with the spicy Matbucha.

2. Artichokes stuffed with ground beef (the mix of which will include finely shredded carrots and potatoes, parsley and oinions and garlic) first coated in a mazto meal batter and lightly fried in extra light olive oil, then set to rest in a tumeric-based sauce with bay leaves, celery and a just a few lemon rinds.

3. Leg of lamb browned and then set to rest with root veggies, fried onions and garlic in a stock infused with basil and mint.

I'm considering the following wines with each of the three main courses (would like to 1 for each course)(in aplhabetical order):

Bustan Merlot 2002
Carmel Appellation Petite Syrah 2005
Capcanes Peraj Ha'abib 2004
Castel Grand Vin 2005
Galil Yiron 2004
Recanati Special Reserve 2004
The Cave 2004
Yarden Syrah 2003

Any suggestions on which wines to enjoy are most welcome!!
Last edited by Adam M on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
https://www.adammiller.nyc
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:18 am

No particular food or wine plans, although we'll probably fit in a "special" meal somewhere in the weekend just because it is a holiday, and open a better-than-usual bottle of wine to go with it.

I plan to resist the exhortations of advertisers to gorge on chocolate eggs, rabbits, and what-not. But - to digress slightly from the intent of the thread - I will put in a mention of South Australia's home-grown Easter treat, the chocolate bilby.

Bilbies are small native animals, long-eared bandicoots. They are nearly extinct, with numbers in the wild reckoned in the hundreds rather than thousands. That's pretty precarious for any animal's continued existence. In the early 1990s, the conservation movement approached a number of chocolate manufacturers in South Australia with the suggestion that they might make a chocolate bilby for sale at Easter instead of a chocolate Easter Bunny. Seemed appropriate, since rabbits have a fairly bad press in Australia, and deservedly so. I don't know if chocolate bilbies have had any appreciable effect on the continued existence of real bilbies, but it has turned into a welcome local curiosity.

bilby.jpg
(35.76 KiB) Downloaded 3200 times
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:25 am

Interesting if uprepossessing looking animal!

Now the phrase "A dingo's got my bilby" all makes sense!
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:44 pm

I'm sure I will do the usual rack of lamb for Easter. And it will not be ruined with any type of mint jelly.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:07 pm

Dave R wrote:I'm sure I will do the usual rack of lamb for Easter. And it will not be ruined with any type of mint jelly.

Not at all a fan of mint jelly, sauce or any other form of adulteration of one of the finest meats going.

Slit the leg and slide some garlic under the surface, roast it up with some roasted potatoes and to heck with the fancy jellies!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:06 pm

There will be fourteen of us for Easter including seven adults and the rest kids who don't eat much. So, we are planning two semi-boneless legs of lamb, and a huge roaster of roasted veggies. The others will bring breads, desserts, and other trimmings. We will pop a variety of syrah based wines.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:20 pm

Passover this year will be more-or-less traditional. Gefilte fish, consomme a la Reine, whole leg of lamb. With the gefilte fish a sparkling wine, with the leg of lamb probably a Margalit Enigma.

Easter will be more ecclectic - quenelles with Nantua sauce, pan-fried trout, quails stuffed with wild rice, a cheese platter. With the quenelles a good chance for a Pouilly Fuisse, with the trout a Viognier and with the quails very possibly a Morgon.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:05 am

Lamb is the traditional Easter dish here. I haven't yet thought about the wine but a Rioja and Bandol both do good jobs in very different ways. I have a last bottle of Rioja Imperial 1966 (the first two were exemplary traditional Rioja) waiting for a suitable occasion.

If the lamb is "agneau de Pauillac", however, a fine Pauillac or Saint-Julien beckons.

No grand-kids with us this year, otherwise there would be lots of chocolate eggs; the egg theme being a relic of a pagan festival, I believe.
Tim York
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:19 am

Zvi, Steve, Mike et all…

I have seen, read and acted on your requests. Rather than turn this poll into a debate, I have done three things. (a) I have deleted your posts on this thread, (b) I have deleted two original Passover wine threads and (c) because of what seems to be popular demand, have combined those two original posts into a new thread dealing entirely with the issue of Passover wines. The deletions and the combining of the original threads were done in order to make reading and responding easier. I am about to do a fourth thing and that will be to post some of my reactions to several things that happened today.

The Passover wine thread is now to be found at viewtopic.php?f=29&t=23335

A mini-reaction on my part is to be found at viewtopic.php?f=29&t=23339

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Barry K

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:34 am

by Barry K » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:33 pm

I have posted my wine selection on the passover wine thread and now my thoughts on this thread
It is not a coincidence that these two major holidays occur at the same time of year and although they may both be about spring certainly for the observant Jew that is not the major focus.. Passover is about change ,about questioning and challenging in an attempt to understand and seek knowledge.. The seder is filled with series of unique events not seen during the year only four of wihich are captured in the Ma nishta. What is the menu of my Passover seder? Trufhfully i do not know . That is not what the seder is about.. I do know we will have wine, Matza. bitter herbs . Charoset ( a dip made from various fruits and spices . In my home will contain nuts . ginger ,. apples and wine).. The meal is but one component of 14 parts of a seder . It is the part that is common to the other holidays and special events . it is not the unique portion and thus of secondary consideratioin
What is the relevance of Passover to non Jews. Passover is more than the celebration of liberty. It is about change , questioning , seeking truth. It about a paradigm shift . It is about a people surrounded and enslaved by a powerful, cruel polytheistic natiion who accept the concept of, and are saved by a caring ,and monotheistic Creator a thread common to all monotheistic religions

Wishing all a Happy Passover season
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:55 pm

We have no immediate plans for either here at Chez J. We are essentially both orphans and without family such holidays have much less impact, though I did buy a ham in Canada a few weeks ago that might end up getting roasted on the barbecue that weekend.

But I do want to say that years ago a couple who were for a few years our best friends and Jewish invited us to join their non-kosher family seders, and they were a privilege I'll never forget. The various traditions and rituals involved, with the foods, the readings and the Biblical references, were altogether far more profound and meaningful than anything that ever took place at the Easter dinners of my Christian childhood. This, I thought, is the way religious holidays should be done.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:07 pm

Bsd. For the passover holiday probably zion dolev cab 06,gamla sangiovese03 dalton card reserve 06 maybe galil viognier.h
Last edited by Harry J on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Scott Lancer

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:53 pm

Rochester, NY

by Scott Lancer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:43 pm

When's Easter? might be the best way to describe my plans.
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:23 pm

Scott Lancer wrote:When's Easter? might be the best way to describe my plans.

April 12.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Jenise, Hi.....

April 12th indeed marks Easter Sunday for Roman Catholics and Protestants. For those in the Greek, Armenian, Ethiopian and other Eastern Orthodox Churches however, the holiday will be celebrated on 19 April.

People really should get used to Israel - where in addition this year to two dates for Easter we have five different dates for Christmas, three for the New Year, and, if that isn't enough, four different days considered by one group or another the Sabbath. .... And people wonder why I call this little country "Disney-Land Middle East"?

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:21 am

Our Pesach Seder meal is the same each and every year, a tradition from my parents' and grandparents' homes.
Before getting to the main Seder meal (Shulchan Orech), we will have already drank 2 cups of wine, eaten a lot of hand-made Shmura Matza, a bit of parsley/potatoes dipped in salt-water, bitter-herbs (grated horseradish & lettuce) dipped in Charoset (chopped nuts and dates with sweet red wine), a sandwich of matzah containing grated horseradish & lettuce) and a hard-boiled egg dipped in salt-water.
We begin with Gefilte Fish, followed by Chicken/Flanken Soup (Flanken is a cut from the short ribs of beef), then the Flanken and vegetables from the soup along with Matzah Charlotte and a green salad, and finally cinnamon sponge cake for dessert. As all of the 4 cups will be a Sagol CS, our dinner wine will be light - a Recanati Rose 2008.
Following the Afikoman matzah, discussions, the last 2 of the 4 cups and much singing, we will probably hit the sack between 3 and 4 in the morning.
Chag Kasher V'Sameach.
Zvi
no avatar
User

Josh Patt

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:45 pm

by Josh Patt » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:39 am

I haven't selected the wines for Passover yet, but will probably use the Dalton Estate CS and another relatively light Cabernet for the 4 cups.

For the other meals, I am thinking of the Recanati Reserve Cabernet Franc, the 2004 Yiron, the 2003 Yarden Syrah, but I will probably only decide at the last minute.

Happy holidays to all,
Josh
User

Ilan T

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:32 am

Sacramento/Davis, CA

by Ilan T » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:58 am

Going to Israel for Passover. Each year I look forward to my annual ritual of picking up a mixed case from my favorite shop in Jerusalem. Should happen on Tuesday or Wednesday. I honestly have no idea what I will end up with, but I can't wait to shop and find out.

-Ilan
@winemakerguy
no avatar
User

Barry K

Rank

Ultra geek

by Barry K » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:25 pm

Per my previous note I plan on drinking the Dalton estate barbea an the Lambouri Yayin Kafrisin.. Not sure in what order though . Would welcome your suggestions and rationale.. Thanks
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:33 pm

Barry, Hi....

I'm in favor of starting off with the Recanati Barbera and then on to the Lambouri, that on the principle that light should precede heavy in order for the first wine not to so impact on the palate that it will harm the enjoyment of the second.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Barry K

Rank

Ultra geek

by Barry K » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:43 pm

sounds good .. and so it shall be
chag kasher vsameach and happy holidays toall
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:00 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Interesting if uprepossessing looking animal!

Now the phrase "A dingo's got my bilby" all makes sense!

Seinfeld= :D :D :P :P I laughed out loud. Thank You
no avatar
User

Scott Lancer

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:53 pm

Rochester, NY

by Scott Lancer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:41 pm

Well I'll probably have a sausage, andouille or chorizo most likely, and almost certainly an overabundance of machine-made 'choclate covered peanut butter eggs'. Then perhaps another sausage. And a citrus juice of some kind. Really. If my niece (5 y.o.) shows up I'll likely also be receiving some jelly beans or similar.
Next