Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Festival of White Wines - Herzilya Marina

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:46 am

Well, they made a movie about 101 Dalmations so why not a festival featuring 101 white wines? Actually, a thoroughly good idea and such a fair will be held at the Herzliya Marina on Wedneday and Thursday, 1 and 2 July between the hours of 18:00-23:00.

Okay, the fair will feature not only still white wines but also sparkling wines, rose wines and dessert wines, but that seems fair enough as the representation will be quite large – from local wineries and from small and large importers.

Admission to the fair will be by purchasing a coupon-card for a certain number of tastings – 6 tastings for NIS 39; 12 tastings for NIS 59; and 18 tastings for NIS 79. The price of admission also includes a free tasting glass and a small tasting of cheeses. A rebate of NIS 25 will be made on purchase of any wine.

More prestigious wines (those costing more than NIS 130 per bottle retail) will be housed in a separated location, and tastings of those wines will require two coupons.

As this is the first festival of its kind, I cannot vouch for how well it will go, but my initial reactions are that the fair seems well organized and that the variety of wines offered is quite large. I enthusiastically recommend attending.. My own plan is to attend on the first night of the fair and, if necessary to complete my own tastings, on the second as well.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

Re: Festival of White Wines - Herzilya Marina

by Z Spigelman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:45 am

For those to whom Kashrut is important:
1. The wine list for this event has been posted on the Ish HaAnavim website and nearly 60% are kosher;
2. Per my correspondence with Haim of Ish HaAnavim, the overwhelming majority of the wines at the wine & cheese pairing workshops will be kosher.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:13 pm

Just bumping this up to the top of the posts as a reminder to people. I'll be there before opening, so if you arrive between 18:00-21:00 or so, don't hesitate to hunt me up to share a glass of wine.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Ben S

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:27 am

by Ben S » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:04 am

I'm looking forward. I have spread the word among my friends and a few should be joining.
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:18 am

Hi Daniel.
It was a pleasure meeting and briefly chatting with you last night at the Marina.
As more than 95% of the wines that Rachel ("my wife" - a description on which you enjoyed to comment) and I drink are red ones, we found this event very interesting but it won't change our drinking preferences.
Do you have tasting notes for the following wines that were offered last night:
1. Asif Viognier 2008;
2. Chateau de Gairoird Rose de Provence 2006 (your May 2007 TN indicated "drink until 2008"!);
3. Herzog Chateneuf Bordeaux (Semi -Dry Semillon & Moscadelle) 2007?
Thanks.
Zvi
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:25 am

I attended the fair yesterday (Weds, 1 July), arriving just a few minutes before opening time at 6 p.m. From that hour until about 8 p.m. there was plenty of space to circulate about the bar (made entirely of ice), to sample wines at leisure and to enjoy the sea air which, despite the heat of the day was quite pleasant. I also enjoyed meeting several of our forum members at the fair.

An abundance of wines to sample and, at least during the low pressure hours of my attendance the young people serving the wines were most friendly and eager to help. If there was a problem it was primarily that the wines, despite having been set into recesses in the carved ice bar were somewhat too warm.

Overall though, a friendly, not-at-all pushy crowd, some very nice wines, others that are best categorized as "interesting", and a few that were pretty poor, but all worth trying.

Two possibly amusing notes

1. After the fair I made my way to one of the local restaurants and must say that I had one of the least charming meals on which I have dined of the last decade (as might be said: "oy - are they going to get it on the head in my review")

2. After my meal I tried to find the exit from the large mall surrounding the marina. I was told that the best way was to enter a given store, to make my way through that to their exit. As I approached the store I saw an open door and made my way to the opening that awaited. Alas, what awaited was a very large and very heavy plate glass window into which I walked, in the process smacking my nose and my forehead on the perfectly clear and unseen glass. And there was I - a person who tries hard to maintain his dignity - with blood gushing from my nose onto the floor, my shirt, my shoes. Ah well.... as is said, into every day a bit of rain must fall. Still a bit dizzy, bumps on the forehead and nose but otherwise doing fine.

Best
Rogov
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:54 pm

Z Spigelman wrote:Do you have tasting notes for the following wines that were offered last night:
1. Asif Viognier 2008;
2. Chateau de Gairoird Rose de Provence 2006 (your May 2007 TN indicated "drink until 2008"!);
3. Herzog Chateneuf Bordeaux (Semi -Dry Semillon & Moscadelle) 2007?

Zvi, Hi....

I also enjoyed our double-meeting. My tasting notes for the wines in question follow.

Best
Rogov

Asif, Viognier, Reserve, 2006: Light gold in color, having spent only four months in oak to maintain fresh aromas and flavors, this medium-bodied white is showing aromatic on the nose, with an appealing array of white peaches, apricots and a distinct floral character, those backed up by hints of caramel and, on the long finish, a note of cinnamon. Drink up.. Score 88. K

Château de Gairoird, Rosé, Côtes de Provence, France, 2006: A pleasant enough little rosé, rose-petal pink towards orange in color, light on the palate with generous strawberry and raspberry fruits on a gently spicy background and a bare note of sweetness backed up by good acidity. Drink up. Score 85.

Herzog, Chateneuf, Bordeaux, 2007: One source says that this wine is made entirely from Sauvignon Blanc grapes, another that it is made from Semillon and Moscadelle. Whatever, a medium-bodied, semi dry wine opening with a floral nose and going on to reveal an array of citrus, citronella and cinnamon notes. Not at all complex but quite nice as an aperitif. Drink up. Score 84. K
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:20 pm

Daniel, thanks.
For the Asif Viognier, however, I had requested the TN for the 2008 that was offered last night at the Marina.
Zvi
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:27 pm

Zvi, Hi....

My goof. Copied and pasted the wrong tasting note. The correct note follows.

Best
Rogov

Asif, Viognier, Adam Veyadama, Reserve, 2008: Bronzed gold in color and despite its youth already taking on a somewhat oxidized note. On the nose and palate citrus peel, Granny Smith apples and hints of earthy minerals. Not for cellaring. Drink up. Score 82. K
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:41 pm

Rogov,

Not having tried this wine (the Herzog Chateneuf), would you happen to have any suggestions for a comparable Israeli wine?

Thank you and much appreciated,
Yossie
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:42 pm

Yossie, Hi...

I'm not at all sure why you want to replicate a wine that scored 84 points and was in a "drink up" condition a little more than a year ago.

If the wine was indeed made from Semillon and Moscadelle grapes, you won't find a replica in Israel as Moscadelle is not grown here. On the other hand if the wine was made entirely from Sauvignon Blanc grapes, many wineries produce such wines but none of those worth their proverbial salt will score that low and certainly none, no matter how good, will replicate the soil and climatic conditions of Bordeaux.

As odd as it may sound, best kosher bets for replicating Bordeaux Sauvignon Blanc will be wines from Chile (the Tierra Salvaje or Terroso brands).

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:17 pm

Trust me - I'm just passing along a request - obviously not my request... :-)
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:38 pm

Any recommendation for a white wine (Sauvignon Blanc or otherwise) that would be "a medium-bodied, semi dry wine opening with a floral nose and going on to reveal an array of citrus, citronella and cinnamon notes. Not at all complex but quite nice as an aperitif"?
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:03 pm

Yossi, Hi...

Ask a short question and you sometimes get a rather long response. Much as is said at both carnivals and whore houses, "you pays your money and you takes your choice"

Best
Rogov

Assaf, Sauvignon Blanc, 2009: Light gold in color, medium-bodied, with appealing citrus and tropical fruits on a background of minerals and a tantalizing note of cinnamon. Elegant and long. Drink now-2013. Score 91.

Barkan, Reserve, Sauvignon Blanc, 2009: Bright light gold in color, medium-bodied, with fruits muted at first but opening nicely in the glass to reveal appealing citrus, grassy and herbal notes all with a tantalizing hint of celery seed. Drink now. Score 89. K

Binyamina, Reserve, Sauvignon Blanc, 2009: Pale wet straw in color, fully faithful to the variety, opening with notes of grapefruit and lime, those accompanied by notes of stony minerals and yes, even the traditional hints of cat's pee and asparagus. Aromatic and long. Drink now. Score 89. K

Carmel, Regional, Sauvignon Blanc, Upper Galilee, 2009: Made entirely from Sauvignon grapes, intentionally unoaked. A crisply clean and nicely aromatic wine, light gold in color, with tropical and citrus fruits on a background of stony minerals, citrus peel and a hint of freshly cut grass. Refreshing and with just enough complexity to grab the attention. Drink now. Score 89. K

Carmel, Private Collection, Sauvignon Blanc, 2008: Light golden straw in color with green and orange tints, medium-bodied, with citrus and ripe peaches on the nose and palate, those supported nicely by a hint of freshly cut grass. Straightforward and refreshing, a very good quaffer. Drink now. Score 87. K

Chateau Golan, Royal Reserve, Sauvignon Blanc, 2009: Developed partly in barriques for four months, the remainder in stainless steel. Appealing deeper gold than one usually anticipates from Sauvignon Blanc, medium-bodied, with appealing citrus, apple and light grassy notes, with fine balance between fruits and acidity. Easy to drink but with enough complexity to grab our attention. Drink now. Score 90.

Dalton, Reserve, Sauvignon Blanc, 2008: An unoaked white, developed on its lees in stainless steel tanks. The color of damp straw, light- to medium-bodied, showing crisp and refreshing with its grapefruit, pineapple and gooseberry fruits complemented nicely by notes of stony minerals and freshly cut grass. Drink now. Score 88. K

Dalton Estate, Fume Blanc, 2009: Allowed to ferment spontaneously and then developed sur lie in for three to four months in new 500 liter oak barrels, that just to pass on a hint of smoky and spicy wood. Fragrant, and on the nose and palate an appealing smoky quality that comes together nicely with citrus, grapefruit, peach and spicy notes. Fine acidity makes this an easy-to-drink wine but one with just enough complexity to grab our attention. Drink now-2012. Score 89. K

Dalton, Canaan, White, 2008: A floral blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay with a bit of Muscat tossed in. Off-dry, with its sweetness set off by natural acidity and showing pleasant citrus and mango flavors and aromas. Drink up. Score 84. K

Ella Valley Vineyards, Sauvignon Blanc, 2009: Blended with 10% of Semillon, showing light gold in color, deeply aromatic with grapefruit and pear, those fruits supported comfortably by lively notes of tropical fruits that toy on the palate. Long and harmonious, easy to drink and simultaneously complex. If ever a wine deserved to be called "jazzy," this is it. Drink now-2013. Tentative Score 90. K

Erle, Sauvignon Blanc, Aroyo Vineyard, Israel, 2007: Light golden straw in color, medium-bodied, showing fine balancing acidity and a light frizzante note, opens to reveal aromas and flavors of citrus, pineapple and tropical fruits, those with a vague but tantalizing grassy note, all lingering long and comfortably on the palate. Don't be put off by the white crystals you see in the bottom of the bottle as those are nothing but tartrate crystals that have formed because the wine was not cold stabilized. Oddly enough most Americans and Israelis perceive these as a sign of a fault in the wine but many Europeans see it as a sign that the wine underwent less manipulation in the winery and is thus "more natural." Whatever, the crystals are absolutely harmless. Simultaneously refreshing and complex, this would be judged a well-made Sauvignon Blanc no matter from where it came. Drink now. Score 90.

Flam, Sauvignon Blanc-Chardonnay, 2009: As always an unoaked, crisply clean wine, this year a blend of 60% Sauvignon Blanc and 40% Chardonnay. Golden straw in color, medium-bodied, showing citrus fruits and flowers, stony minerals and from mid-palate on notes of guava. Refreshing enough to drink in large gulps but complex enough to savor comfortably. Drink now. Score 89.

Galil Mountain, Sauvignon Blanc, 2008: An unoaked white, light straw in color, with a generously aromatic nose and crisply refreshing acidity, showing a tempting array of melon, citrus and kiwi fruits, those on a background that hints nicely of freshly mown grass. Drink now. Score 88. K

Golan Heights Winery, Yarden, Sauvignon Blanc, 2009: Light gold in color, with a nose replete with tropical fruits, starts off a bit flat on the palate but within moments opens to reveal generous citrus and apple notes all on a light herbal background. Drink now-2014. Score 89. K

Golan Heights Winery, Gamla, Sauvignon Blanc, 2009: Light gold in color, light- to medium-bodied with a generous array of citrus, apple and melon fruits. Lively and refreshing. Drink now. Score 87. K

Gush Etzion, Alon HaBoded, Sauvignon Blanc, 2009: Golden straw in color, light and fragrant with generous melon, peach, nectarine and lemon fruits highlighted by notes of freshly picked herbs. Juicy and refreshing. Drink now. Score 88. K

Pelter, Sauvignon Blanc, 2009: Unoaked to maintain the natural aromas, flavors and liveliness of the wine. The color of damp straw, an "oh wow" white, opening with and maintaining a burst of aromas and flavors, those including tangerine, grapefruit, key lime and papaya, all of which play beautifully on the palate together with notes of fresh acidity and minerals. Fresh and refreshing while simultaneously long and complex. Drink now. Score 91.

Recanati, Reserve, Sauvignon Blanc, 2009: Made from old vines at Kerem Ben Zimra, developed partly sur lie and partly in stainless steel, showing notes of sweet and spicy cedarwood and opens to reveal generous tropical and citrus fruits on a background of ginger and Oriental spices and freshly known grass. Fresh, lively and with enough complexity to grab the attention. Drink now-2011. Score 88. K

Recanati, Sauvignon Blanc, 2009: Unoaked, with a moderate 12% alcohol, a crisp and refreshing wine with fine acidity to highlight citrus and apple fruits, all with a hint of white pepper on the finish. Drink now. Score 88. K
Recanati, Yasmine, White, 2009: An unoaked blend of Sauvignon Blanc, Emerald Riesling, French Colombard and Semillon. With a moderate 12% alcohol, not having undergone malolactic fermentation, showing floral notes to support citrus and tropical fruits. A pleasant enough quaffer. Drink now. Score 85. K

Shvo Vineyards , Sauvignon Blanc, Upper Galilee, 2009: Light gold with orange and purple reflections, full-bodied, a bold wine with light notes of persimmon and chamomile that float through from first attack to the long finish. Slowly fermented with indigenous yeasts, opens to show peach and aproicot fruits, those supported by notes of roasted hazelnuts, brioche and paraffin. Crisply dry with fine balancing acidity, with a notes of heather and Hymetus honey on the long, long finish. This one will age nicely. Not for everyone but those who do enjoy it will do so with gusto. Drink now-2015, perhaps longer. . Score 92

Tabor, Adama, Sauvignon Blanc, Gir, 2009: Pale straw in color, unoaked, and crisply fresh with aromas and flavors of citrus and kiwi fruits along with a note of freshly mown grass. Medium-bodied, lively and refreshing with just enough complexity to capture our imagination Drink now. Score 89. K

Teperberg, Terra, Sauvignon Blanc, Unoaked, 2009: Light golden straw in color, a crisply dry and aromatic, clean and refreshing wine with citrus, citrus peel and light grassy notes, all lingering nicely on the palate and with enough peppery complexity to grab our attention. Drink now. Score 88. K

Teperberg, White, 2009: A blend of 80% Sauvignon Blanc and 20% Chardonnay, light gold in color, with pineapple, citrus and tropical fruits on the nose and palate, those with just the barest hint of sweetness. Clean and refreshing, a fine entry-level wine. Drink up. Score 84. K

Tishbi, Estate, Sauvignon Blanc, 2009: Blended with 4% of Viognier, light- to medium-bodied, almost clear in color, showing pineapple, citrus and tropical fruits on a lightly grassy background. Refreshing and lively. Drink now. Score 85. K

Tulip, White Tulip, 2008: A somewhat odd but quite successful unoaked blend of 60% Gewurztraminer and 40% Sauvignon Blanc. Golden straw toward lemon-lime in color, medium-bodied and deeply aromatic, reflecting an array of aromas and flavors, those including freshly mown grass, litchis, grapefruit and peppermint. Not complex but plenty of fresh acidity to keep the wine refreshing. Drink now. Score 87.

Yatir, Sauvignon Blanc, 2009: With half of the wine developed in used barriques for three months and the remainder in stainless steel, a wine that is simultaneously crisply refreshing and complex, with just the barest hint of the wood to add to its charm. Light golden in color, with fine aromatics and delicious balancing acidity to highlight grapefruit, kiwi, green apple and melon notes all on a background of sea shells and flint. Drink now-2012. Score 91. K
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:39 pm

Thanks Daniel.

Best,
Yossie