Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Why I Cancelled This Morning's Tasting

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:27 am

Because I am doing a television thing tomorrow, I decided yesterday that a visit to my barber/hair stylist was in order. Because my tastig thins morning was scheduled for10:30, I appeared as per my appointment to have my hair done at 08:30.

Arrived and my stylist told me that a good friend had given him a bottle of "some kind of Champagne" and that maybe I wanted a sip. Not being one to refuse "some kind of Champagne", I agreed and from his frig came a bottle of the 1998 Blanc de Blancs, Clos de Mensil of Krug.

My mouth probably hung open for a moment. Being at least at times a man of some moral values, I asked him if he knew how much the bottle was worth. He guessed at NIS 100-200 (about US 28-45). I told him that the value was closer to US$750. He thought I was teasing and it took some time to convince him that I was not. His response - "ma ichpat li?" (basically I don't give a damn) and he handed me the bottle to open.

I did that with all due respect - that is to say with an absolutely minimal pop - and before and during whatever it was that he did to my head, we managed to finish off the bottle. Paid the usual price for my haircut, thanked Arik enormously, and phoned to cancel this a.m. tasting. One should most definitely not try to evaluate wines when tipsy and tipsy I was indeed.

I did not make tasting notes but my note from my first tasting follows.

Best
Rogov

Krug, Clos du Mensil, Blanc de Blancs, Champagne, 1998: Sparkling light gold in color, medium- to full-bodied, with a mousse that lingers on seemingly forever, a wine that opens slowly on the palate to reveal light sour-dough yeasty notes, freshly picked porcini mushrooms, citrus and floral notes, those supported by notes of flinty minerals. A superb wine, combining intensity and elegance. Approachable and enjoyable now but what a shame as this one will show its best only starting in 2012 and then cellaring comfortably until 2030. Score 98. (Tasted 26 Jun 2009)
no avatar
User

Isi M

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:46 am

Israel

Re: Why I Cancelled This Morning's Tasting

by Isi M » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:17 am

I think I'll start going to your hairdresser...
no avatar
User

EY Han

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by EY Han » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:55 am

Daniel,

I am metaphorically peeing my pants

Best wishes,
E.Y.

P.S. I once brought a bottle of some German White Riesling to my hairstylist in Jerusalem of 6+ or so years, and the two hair stylists at the place drank it soon after I left apparently.
no avatar
User

Harel C

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:03 pm

by Harel C » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:29 am

What a fantastic story (perfect material to recycle at dinner parties, really).

I just HAVE to ask if the barber had champagne glasses ready, or if you were willing to drink this kind of wine I could never afford in plastic cups (or coffee mugs)!

Harel
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:42 am

Harel, Hi..

Regular wine glasses, not of very high quality, but acceptable under the circumstances.

Best
Rogov
User

Doug Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:11 am

by Doug Z » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:58 am

was wondering where i misplaced that bottle....
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
no avatar
User

Jonathan Kalman

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:11 pm

by Jonathan Kalman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:20 pm

What a great story and a marvellous way to start the day. How very generous of the customer who gave the champagne to your barber, he certainly knew it's value.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:50 pm

I do not think it was a "customer" but one of his lovers. 8) And no, he is not gay.

Best
Rogov