Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Kosher With Bubbles (K)

User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Kosher With Bubbles (K)

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:06 am

Before reading this post, I beg of you to unbutton the top button of your shirt if it is buttoned and then to sit, ideally in a deep chair so that you will not fall to the floor and possibly harm youself if you should happen to faint on the news herein.

Shimshon Welner may not be producing the world's best kosher wines but he is certainly doing a fine job as a negotiant/producer of wines that are invariably quite palatable and at prices that are as competitive as you could want. To his existing labels, those including, Tierra Vieja, Terrenal, and Terroso, he has now added a new name Banero, and under that Italian label a mevushal (yes, mevushal) sparkling wine, my tasting note for which follows.

Best
Rogov

Banero, Brut Premium, Spumante, Veneto, n.v.: Pale golden straw in color, opening with a clean nose of citrus flowers and going on to reveal aromas and flavors of red grapefruit, gooseberries and freshly picked white grapes. Made from Pinot Grigio grapes and (my guess) by the charmat method (second fermentation in tanks and not the bottles), showing fine, long lasting bubbles and an appealing blood orange aftertaste. Mevushal but showing no signs of being cooked but to be on the safe side not to be cellared for very long. A fun wine that competes comfortably with many of the fine Cava wines that are now on the market. Score 86. K

It is my understanding that the wine will shortly be available in the USA, Canada, the UK and Israel. I gather that the price in Israel will be about NIS 45. Best bet for further information is to send an email to info@welnerwine.com The Welner internet site can be found at http://www.welnerwines.com/