Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Domaine Herzberg - Tasting Notes (K)

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:46 pm

It seems that I am discovering at least one new Israeli boutique winery weekly. Well, in some cases they may be discovering me.

Today was my first encounter of the wines of Domaine Herzberg. Founded by Max Herzberg on Moshav Sitria (the winery uses the French spelling of Sitrya), not far from the city of Rehovot and in the foothills of the Judean Mountains, the winery released its first wines from the 2007 vintage. Now cultivating their own vineyards with Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Malbec and Petite Sirah, the winery relies largely on organic techniques and uses a minimum of pesticides. Plans are to release a varietal Malbec from the 2009 vintage. Production for 2007 was 2000 bottles, for 2008, 3,500 and projected production for 2009 is for 6,000 bottles.

it is my understanding that the current releases are going for about NIS 105 each. The winery can be contacted by email at max@herzbergwine.com

Best
Rogov

Domaine Herzberg, Merlot, Coteaux de Sitrya, 2007: Dark ruby towards garnet, lightly oak-aged, a supple, fruit forward wine with appealing black cherry and wild berry fruits supported by notes of spices. Medium- to full-bodied, with soft tannins and an appealing hint of licorice that lingers on the finish. Drink now-2011. Score 87. K (Tasted 12 Nov 2009)

Domaine Herzberg, Merlot, Coteaux de Sityra, 2008: Showing spices and vanilla from the oak in which it was briefly aged, and opening to reveal black cherry, cassis and cedar aromas, those on a background of purple plums and spices. Young and still showing some rough edges so give this one a bit of time. Best from mid-2010-2013. Score 87 K (Tasted 12 Nov 2009)

Domaine Herzberg, Reserve, Chateau de Sityra, 2007: Deep garnet in color, a medium- to full-bodied blend of 50% each Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Reflecting its 9 months in French and American barriques with firm tannins and spicy wood in fine balance with blackcurrant, wild berry and licorice notes. Best from mid-2010-2013, perhaps longer. Score 88. K (Tasted 12 Nov 2009)
no avatar
User

Michael J

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Domaine Herzberg - Tasting Notes (K)

by Michael J » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:55 pm

Hasn't Teperberg already released a varietal Malbec?
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:14 pm

Michael, Hi....

Ye be right. Teperberg released a 2007 Malbec in their Terra series and will also be releasing one from 2008 in the near future.

Best
Rogov

Terra, Malbec, 2008 (Barrel Tasting) : Still in embryonic form but already showing dark royal purple in color, medium- to full-bodied, generously aromatic and with red plums, black and red berries and notes of milk chocolate. Drink from release.Tentative Score 87–89. K

Terra, Malbec, 2007: Developed in new French and American oak barriques for 12 months, dark garnet in color, medium- to full-bodied, with firm tannins well balanced by notes of sweet toast and vanilla. On the nose and palate plums, black cherries and notes of cocoa. Not an Argentinean nor a Cahors Malbec, but one with a distinct Mediterranean personality. Drink now-2011. Score 88. K
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:02 am

I have tasted the wines at the small wineries event at the Soreq winery on Friday.
Among the 40 or so different wine makers, I have tasted more than half.
Only about 5 left some impression.
One of them was the Domain Herzberg where the Reserve from 2008 left the best impression.
I picked one bottle and intend to open it in the near future.
Domaine Herzberg, Reserve, Chateau de Sityra, 2008 includes 20% of Malbec that makes a difference.
I plan to visit the winery some time soon to taste the Malbec 2009 in the barrels.
They plan to issue a varietal Malbec as well as a Malbec bases blend intended to pair best with an Argentinean Assado meal.
One more point. The wine goes for 70 NIS, a case for 700 NIS which is reasonable.

Eli
no avatar
User

Max Herzberg

Rank

Just got here

Wed May 05, 2010 5:06 pm

by Max Herzberg » Sat May 08, 2010 3:09 pm

Welcome and thanks for the good words Eli. Just a remark, the wine is called Coteaux (not chateaux) de Sitrya. Coteaux means מדרון (hillside) because our vines are just down the first hill which will become the Hills of Yehuda from Rehovot toward Jerusalem hills. We are making wine only from our own grapes and this year will indeed add a Malbec and hopefully a Chiraz next year. Call me when you want to come and visit as we are neighbours. Shavua Tov. :D