Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

TNR for Gamla Nebbiolo 2006.

no avatar
User

Philip Aron

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:49 am

TNR for Gamla Nebbiolo 2006.

by Philip Aron » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:01 am

Daniel,do you have tasting notes for this newly available wine?.

Thanks in advance,
Philip.
Last edited by Philip Aron on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: TN for Gamla Nebiolo 2006.

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:16 am

Philip, Hi...

An interesting example of how not only wines but "things" can change and develop over time. When I first sampled this wine as a barrel tasting, it was uncertain whether it would be issued as a varietal in the Yarden or Gamla series or used as a blending agent in other wines. Now released in the Gamla series, the first Nebbiolo varietal from the winery. My tasting note follows.

By the bye - the suggest retail price for the wine is NIS 75 (about US$ 20)

Best
Rogov

Golan Heights Winery, Nebbiolo, Gamla, 2006: The winery's first Nebbiolo varietal release. Reflecting its 12 months in French oak, dark ruby towards garnet, medium- to full-bodied, with generous but softly caressing tannins. Opens to reveal a tempting array of blackberries, cherries and, in the background from first attack to the long finish notes of licorice and tar. Approachable and thoroughly enjoyable now but don't hesitate to cellar until 2013, for as the wine continues to develop it will start to show notes of mushrooms and minerals. Score 89. K (Tasted 23 Jan 2010)
no avatar
User

Philip Aron

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:49 am

by Philip Aron » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:53 am

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the TN.For anybody that does not already know, this wine is only avaiable at the wineries visitor centre in Katzrin, or in "some restaurants" as supplies are limited.

I was offered a sample for tasting, made my purchase of 4 bottles [my trial sample]and left.

And yes, the price is 74.75 NIS+ 25 agorot deposit for the bottle.I always get a smile out of this way of stating the price ,by thinking I am buying a pair of shoes eg,275 for the shoes and an extra 36 agorot for the laces. Leaves me with the option of purchasing no laces or perhaps one lace?
no avatar
User

Stephen Weil

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:12 am

by Stephen Weil » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:02 am

DR ignore my post elsewhere
Steve
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:03 am

Steve, Hi...

Pas de problem! We both posted simultaneously.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Stephen Weil

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:12 am

Re: TN for Gamla Nebbiolo 2006.

by Stephen Weil » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:50 pm

Just Tasted the Gamla Neviola 2006
I opened it 1 hour prior to tasting.
We the tasters agreed it is still cloudy and does not have such a great colour as described.
The cherries and berries are evident and licorice does come through.
My opinion is the wine is not ready yet and I will try and wait 2-3 years before trying again.
Any other opinions would be welcome
Steve
User

Daniel Kovnat

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:36 am

Israel

Re: TNR for Gamla Nebbiolo 2006.

by Daniel Kovnat » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Just opened what I think is, unfortunately, my last Gamla Nebbiolo 2006. It is FULL of tannins and needs to rest in the wine cellar another couple of years. I am a bit worried about its sustainability because of a purple penetration of the cork indicating, to me, that the cork was of a quality that might not allow additional years of aging in the bottle.

It is a very deep purple color and very high in tannins and has a taste of cherries and plums with a long peppery finish reminding me of a Shiraz.

Am I wrong in what I seem to remember that the Golan Heights winery is no longer producing this varietal?
Come on over to read about my experience tasting wines produced in Israel at http://www.israelwinetaster.com
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Indeed wrong.....the Gamla label for distribution within Israel continues to be produced by the winery. For export the wine is being bottled under the brand name of "Gilgal"

Best
Rogov
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:29 pm

Always glad to read tasting notes on Nebbiolo around the world. Interesting to see how they get on and what styles emerge, be they Piemonte copies or something different.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster