Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:13 pm

A green Israeli campus

TNR - Carmel, Regional chardonnay 09

by Lior Yogev » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:59 pm

As I wrote on the friday night wine thread - I found this wine rather disappointing. Did anyone else have a similar problem?

Lior.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: TNR - Carmel, Regional chardonnay 09

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:48 pm

Lior, Hi.....

I tasted the wine in question and found it atypically out-of-balance and with extremely muted flavors. I tasted it from two bottles but both of those came from the same store. Because the wine reacted so atypically I have made arrangements to receive two more bottles for tasting, one from the winery and another from the same store. I will post a tasting note after that tasting as this may have simply represented two off-bottles. Should have the bottle in another few days and will taste as soon after that as possible

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Ultra geek

A green Israeli campus

by Lior Yogev » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:19 am

Thanks
no avatar
User

Adam Montefiore

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:00 pm

by Adam Montefiore » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:17 pm

Having seen Lior's comment and respecting his point of view and professionalism, I immediately sought out a bottle of the Appellation Chardonnay 2009 to check for faults.

The wine I tasted was fine, but I must point out , it is made in a different way to the regular, oaky Israeli style. It is only very slightly oaked and is intended to be a fresh, food friendly Chardonnay where appley notes are more apparent than buttery ones.

This very true to our winemaker's style, where fruit not oak is the aim. The Private Collection Chardonnay is even more in the unwooded style.

Either Lior had a bad bottle or the style is not to his liking. The point I want to make is that the style is intentional. Whether you like it or not, is down to personal preference, which I agree counts for more than anything.

We enjoy any good comments, but take other comments very seriously, which is why I wanted to retaste the wine. Thank you for the feedback.

Adam Montefiore
(Carmel Winery)
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:06 pm

Adam, Hi...

Your input is always appreciated. I now have two more bottles at hand, those to be entered into my tastings either tomorrow or the next day, one bottle from one of the local stores, the other sent to me from the winery by your courtesy. I shall report back immediately after my tasting.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Ultra geek

A green Israeli campus

by Lior Yogev » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:58 am

Hi Adam,

First, thank you for your courteous and serious response.
I prefer my whites fresh as well and would usually choose the unoaked or the slightly-oaked over the oaked. I tasted the 2007 version and I wrote quite positively on it - calling it a pleasant surprise (hebrew link ).
As I wrote regarding the 2009 - the nose is very fresh and lively. As for the palate, well, in my humble (and certainly unprofessional) opinion this is not a matter of personal taste but an objective matter of balance. The wine felt too sweet, had a considerable bitterness and lacked acidity. I asked around and found out other people had a similar problem. This was surprising because I have a good opinion on the Appellation series.

I'm curious what results will Rogov's retasting yield and would be happy to discover this was a problematic bottle.

Thanks again,

Lior.

about.drinking@gmail.com
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:53 pm

A wine that indeed confuses as it seems that variation between bottles can be rather extreme. As noted above, the wine was tasted twice on a first go-round, both wines purchased at the same time from the same store and those samples showing a wine seriously out of balance and with a distinct bitter note. Tasted again today from two bottles, one directly from the winery, the other from a local wine shop, both of those tasting much the same. My tasting note for today's tasting follows.

Best
Rogov

Carmel, Chardonnay, Regional, Upper Galilee, 2009: Light golden straw in color, with a nose rich with citrus flowers but flavors that are subdued, showing quince, apple and pear compote and herbal notes that may not be appreciated by all. Be prepared for major bottle variation with this release. Drink now. Score 84. K
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Ultra geek

A green Israeli campus

by Lior Yogev » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:04 pm

Thanks for the quick notes