Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

A Personal Note To All Forum Members

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

In recent days quite a few rumors have reached me and, rather than let those circulate and aggravate as rumors tend to do, I have decided to share this news formally with forum members.

As of today, I will no longer be the restaurant critic for HaAretz. The reason - let us say merely a failure to see eye-to-eye on a particular issue with my editor.

That does not mean that I am leaving HaAretz. In fact, I will be writing no less then before as instead of one wine column weekly in the Hebrew edition, I shall now have two such columns. As to the English edition, that does mean that I will no longer be adding updates to the restaurant guide that appears in the Weekend Magazine and that within a short time my byline will vanish from that three page column. I will continue, of course, to do my regular wine column in the English edition.

As to the future of myself as a restaurant critic, for the moment at least let it be said that I will continue to follow the local restaurant scene with care. The day that I stop dining out at restaurants on a regular basis will be the day that my body and soul have parted company. As to published restaurant criticism, let's hold for the time being until I make certain personal decisions.

As to the forum, no changes whatever on my part. I will remain, as always

Ye faithful curmudgeon
Rogov
no avatar
User

Allen S

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:28 pm

Re: A Personal Note To All Forum Members

by Allen S » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:45 pm

Their loss. The pizza article was a heck of a good one to go out on, for what that's worth.
no avatar
User

Jonathan Kalman

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:11 pm

by Jonathan Kalman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:18 pm

I actually printed a copy of the pizza article and put in my car. I have used it twice since then when visiting Tel Aviv. Good luck to you Daniel, whatever you do.
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:09 pm

Rogov
Glad to hear you're still involved and that your wine coverage is going up (unheard of for newspapers these days!). I would imagine that even when you disagree with someone, that you at least do so with dignity and courtesy, albeit allied with a nice playful touch of theatrical elàn :wink:
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:12 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:I would imagine that even when you disagree with someone, that you at least do so with dignity and courtesy, albeit allied with a nice playful touch of theatrical elàn

Yup. Especially when you can't afford to hire a reliable hit man. Sheesh...reliable and discrete hit men are very expensive these days! 8)

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lieser

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:36 pm

by Mark Lieser » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:37 pm

Daniel:

Any chance of moving to another paper? I have to admit, I have an ulterior motive - unlike other restaurant critcs who keep kosher, you are highly critical of kosher establishments, and don't "cut them any slack" for kashrut. Thus, if you like a kosher restaurant, I make it a point to visit as soon as possible after your review, assuming it must be truly good. In my experience, most kosher food critics gush excessively at almost any establishment that is kosher.

I can't lose your reviews that hold all places to the same standard! Don't let me down.

Mark
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:23 am

Mark, Hi...

I have always enjoyed (and use fairly often) Yogi Berra's comment: "Predictions are hard to make. Especially when they deal with the future". None of us knows fully what the future holds in store but I am planning on continuing writing for HaAretz for many years. That means of course that I cannot write at the same time for a competing newspaper. As to how to deal with restaurant reviews - kosher or otherwise - give me a bit of time to see how things fall into place. I have no intention whatever of fully "giving up" on restaurant criticism.

Best
Rogov
User

Avi Hein

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:23 pm

Israel

by Avi Hein » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:59 pm

Their (and our) loss.

Constructive criticism is important in order to improve -- something we should all constantly strive for.
It's Israeli Wine 2.0 - HaKerem: The Israeli Wine Blog - http://www.israeli-wine.org
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/avihein - @avihein & http://www.twitter.com/israelwines - @israelwines
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/israelwine
no avatar
User

Jeff L

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:46 am

by Jeff L » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:56 pm

I believe that newsprint is a dying industry and by increasing your internet presence you reach a broader audience are better situated for the future. Maybe this is a good opportunity to grow.
Best of luck
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Oddly enough, I am one of the few who remains positive about the future of print newspapers and magazines. Indeed, printed newspapers today are "in trouble" but I cannot help but think they will continue, at least in the forseeable future to have a major impact on how we take in news, culture, sports and editorials.

Agreed that much of this may have to do with my age (by the estimate of one internet forum, I was born in 1895). I will even admit that if I were not 35 and not well over 100 years old as some rumors have it, I might be far more concerned about an internet presence. For now at least I will continue my internet presence primarily here and on several other internet sites but for reasons largely aesthetic, I am not about to become part of what I perceive as the Facebook and Twitter crowd.

Part of my thinking is also related to the nature of different media and my personal interpretation of intellectual integrity. The print media is far more open to in depth reportage and opinion pieces, while the internet media is more easily adaptable to "visual or, if one prefers intellectual bites". I remain in favor of depth. That some accuse me of being too wordy on the net is part of that phenomenon. In my opinion, and I am far from a Luddite, I grow weary of mini-bites of information that give me neither the depth or content that I seek.

As to the internet and its plusses - incalculable and positive as well as negative. I do, however, mourn the reality that there shall be no more great letter writers or keepers of diaries. I mourn as well the passing of the time that people would willingly - oyez, joyfully - submit themselves to 3,000 word long essays on, for example, "A Dissertation on Roast Pork". I suspect that even Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address or Shakespeare's Macbeth might be just a bit too long for most people today. Thoughts like that sadden me... deeply.

I will go even further....I accept much of Ray Kurzweill's thinking to the effect that in the not-all-that-distant future, all knowledge will be not only instantly available but instantly at our fingertips as we and our computers become more intimate one to the other. That too saddens me, for an "instant reading" of all of Shakespeare will be quite, quite different than absorbing those works slowly, with a combination of pain and pleasure, over the course of our lives.

Then again, I am a curmudgeon and what curmudgeon would not be saddened by this. With no apologies, I remain faithful to Oliver Goldsmith's axiom to the effect that "I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines"and to T.B. Aldrich who wrote literally penned a note to a friend, that hand-delivered and stating:

I beg you come tonight and dine
A welcome waits you and sound wine
The Roederer chilly to a charm
As Juno's breasts the claret warm ...

Best
Rogov