Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Fine and Fun Moscato At A Very Reasonable Price (K)

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:24 pm

Cheap may or may not be chic these days, but from time to time one does find a wine that offers exceptional value for money at a truly reasonable price. The Sara Bee Moscato reviewed below will be available in the United States at various branches of Trader Joe at the most reasonable price of US$ 6.00 (well, in the name of full disclosure, US$ 5.99). My advice – whether kashrut is or is not important to you, go for this one. It's fun!

Best
Rogov

Sara Bee, Moscato, Puglia, Italy, n.v.: A rich and lively aperitif or dessert wine. Light golden straw in color, generously frizzante, showing pear, apple and dried apricot fruits on a lightly honeyed and spicy background. Medium-bodied, with generous sweetness in fine balance with lively acidity. Not for cellaring but for fine enjoyment in the next year or so. Serve well chilled and do not be the least bit embarrassed to do as the Italians do by adding an ice cube or two to your glass. A fine Moscato. Score 88. K
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Fine and Fun Moscato At A Very Reasonable Price (K)

by Andrew B » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:44 pm

Quick post after reading David R's tweet about a good replacement for the "Blue Bottle"

I tried the newest wine from the Weinstock "by W" line, the Moscato by W. This is priced between Sara Bee and the Bartenura. It is better than both! Great flavor, effervescence, and acid/sugar balance. Not my business as to why Royal would make a line to compete with their own product. I guess the Blue will always be.
User

Jon Tabak

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:17 am

Los Angeles

by Jon Tabak » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:03 pm

I think the most amazing thing to me is getting blue-bottle fanatics to try something else. Most of my family will only drink the sweet stuff, so I brought Golan Moscato with me to the yom tov (holiday) meals. After a bit of push back, I finally got them to try it. Lo and behold - "Where did you buy that? I really like it!" One of the things that I like about the Golan Moscato compared to others is that it is minimally frizzante, so it doesn't give you that soda feeling :)
http://www.KosherWino.com - Supporting your kosher wine habit
User

Daniel Monsey NY

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:36 am

Monsey, NY, USA

by Daniel Monsey NY » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:27 pm

to wean people of the "blue bottle," my favorite moscato is the teal lake- surprisingly good.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:33 pm

I tasted a glass of Borgo Reale Moscato this past Passover and it was so sweet it tasted like pure sweet soda pop. Where the Sara Bee is full in the mouth and bracing in the mid and finish these other sweet wines lack the polish.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:31 pm

by Harry J » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:12 pm

Bsd. I second Jon's vote on the golan moscato being a crowd pleaser for the blue bottle people. (Kind of sounds like blueman group for those who are familiar). H