Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

B.R. Cohn, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2008 - The Tasting Note (K)

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:36 pm

Thanks to the winery and their public relations firm the kosher cuvee of the 2006 Cabernet of B.R. Cohn arrived and today was part of my tastings. Cohn, who is the manager of the rock band The Doobie Brothers purchased his winery in 1984 and since then has been equally well known for his olive oil (made largely from 145 year old Picholine olive trees) and his philanthropy as for his wine seems to have done a fine job of precisely what a genuine boutique, family-owned operation should be doing. Let it be said simply that I have never met Cohn but after tasting his first kosher cuvee, I damned well intend to do so on my next visit to California. Following is my tasting note for the wine.

B.R. Cohn, Cabernet Sauvignon, Trestle Glen Estate Vineyard, Sonoma, California, 2008 (Kosher Edition): Dark cherry red towards garnet, full-bodied but so well balanced that it floats gently on the palate. With silky tannins that caress rather than bite and with a gentle reflection of spices from the oak in which it was developed, the wine opens with clear notes of crushed berries and spices, those parting to make way for black cherries, black pepper and cedar wood and, on the long finish a tantalizing note of cocoa powder. A delight. Drink now-2016, perhaps longer. Score 92. K

As noted on a separate post the wine which was released in a limited edition of 400 case (4800 bottles) is available only directly from the winery and can be ordered by phoning 1-800-330-4064 or by visiting their internet site at http://www.brcohn.com . From the reactions I have seen in an earlier post on the forum, a goodly number of those wines have already been ordered by forum members.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Allen S

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:28 pm

Re: B.R. Cohn, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2008 - The Tasting Note (K)

by Allen S » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Rogov, thanks for the note. I just called to order my 6 bottles. According to the person who took my order, they still have 300 of the 400 cases in stock, in case anybody was wondering how it has sold thus far.
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:48 pm

Given the score, I'm sure the next 100 cases will move a little quicker...
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:46 am

by Menachem S » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:50 pm

I just ordered 12 - bigger discount, and better amortization of shipping

anyone want a few bottles?

Please PM me
no avatar
User

Tamar G

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:08 pm

New York

by Tamar G » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:29 am

Great tasting note, Rogov! I hope this is a new trend, there are many California winemakers who will be looking to see whether this small-batch kosher experiment is financially successful. I hope after seeing your score this one will sell out!

I had the chance to interview Bruce Cohn a couple of weeks ago and learn a little more about his career as manager of the Doobie Brothers and his passion for winemaking, why he decided to produce his first kosher wine, and plans for the future.

The article is available here:

http://joyofkosher.com/blog/2010/10/kos ... hat-rocks/
Food Editor
http://joyofkosher.com
Twitter @joyofkosher
Facebook http://facebook.com/joyofkosher
no avatar
User

Stephen Weil

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:12 am

by Stephen Weil » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:55 am

Is it Mevushal?
Any idea of price and is it available in Israel?
Thanks
Steve
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:03 am

Steve, Hi...

The wine is kosher but not mevushal and, as a limited release is not available in Israel.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

GregR

Rank

Wine geek

Sun May 31, 2009 10:08 pm

by GregR » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Just ordered a case. Very exciting!
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:27 am

Just ordered a case with two friends, looking forward to trying this one out!
no avatar
User

DavidNS

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:58 am

Raanana, Israel

by DavidNS » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:06 am

Some family members in the states just visited the Herzog winery and were told by the Herzog wine maker that he makes this wine, at Herzog, for BR Cohn....... interesting.
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:41 am

Yes, DavidNS, but from B.R.Cohn's fruit. And I am told the lack of B.R. Cohn's control over process at Herzog is why this is probably a one-off at this point. The fact that it was made at Herzog should not send up any red flags- Covenant was also made at Herzog originally.
no avatar
User

DavidNS

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:58 am

Raanana, Israel

by DavidNS » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:13 am

Hello Craig
I was just posting this as info on the wine and was not implying anything negative.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:32 am

Indeed the wine was made at the Herzog facility in Oxnard. And, as Craig says, this should raise no red flags whatever.

Best
Rogov
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:09 pm

1) It was made at Herzog as the label states:

B.R. Cohn Winery
Oxnard, CA

Love the fact that it was bottled in B.R. Cohn Winery that resides in Oxnard! I think they are off by some 400+ miles. That said, I guess you can slap anything you want on a label, as long as it does not go against ATF rules!

2) It is NOT mevushal!! Crazy as the winery makes all their wines mevushal. Quite interesting if you ask me!

3) Tasted the wine and it is nice, but not as good as the 2006 Yarden Cabernet, which to me was FAR better as much cheaper.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:58 pm

David Raccah wrote:.
..Crazy as the winery (at Oxnard) makes all their wines mevushal.

David, Hi...

It is my understanding that all of the Baron Herzog wines are mevushal but not all of the Special Reserve or Late Harvest wines.

Best
Rogov
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:25 pm

No - the special edition and special reserve and base line wines are ALL mevushal. Gone are the days of the M and non-M labels. All wines under 100 dollars are mevushal. Hence it is VERY interesting that they made theirs non-mevushal.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:49 pm

by Andrew B » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:29 pm

The BR Cohn is not so much more expensive than 06 Yarden Cab if at all. The Yarden is an average of $25/bottle and the BR Cohn lists for $28, less the 20% discount if you buy a case. Also, I'd compare apples to apples, and line up the BR Cohn next to Covenant Red C and Herzog Alex Valley Cab.

Also, I don't know when the Herzogs moved to all mevushal, since my Herzog Reserve 2007 Haystack Vineyards are not Mevushal. But Daniel, I think the late harvest wines have always been mevushal.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:41 pm

Andrew, Hi...

On the Royal Wine internet site it shows that the 2008 Late Harvest Chenin Blanc and the 2007 Late Harvest Zinfandel are not mevushal but their White Riesling is mevushal.

Best
Rogov
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:49 pm

by Andrew B » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:14 pm

I think I have a bottle of the Chenin in my cellar at home and will check then. I am 99% sure that on the bottle it says that it is Mevushal. They serve it at their restaurant, where they only pour mevushal wine (and serve fantastic food as you know!)
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:17 pm

The Haystack and the To Kalon are not mevushal, as these are long lasting wines, and for serious investors/drinkers. The others are normally mevushal, if not, they are exceptions, not the norm.

David
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:13 pm

Love the fact that it was bottled in B.R. Cohn Winery that resides in Oxnard! I think they are off by some 400+ miles. That said, I guess you can slap anything you want on a label, as long as it does not go against ATF rules!

David, they had to do it that way. It was either make B.R.Cohn a DBA of Herzog from the standpoint of the Oxnard production, go through the paperwork and convince Herzog to do an alternating proprietorship, or have "bottled at Royal Wine Corporation" or whatever the name of the facility, on the label. It probably wasn't worth the expense or paperwork of an alternating proprietorship, and in any event, Royal probably would not have gone for it. So if they didn[t wish to outright say it was made at Herzog, the only alternative was to make the name a DBA of the facility. In that case, I hope that Bruce has a formal written agreement as to the use of the name in the future.
no avatar
User

E Segel

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:33 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by E Segel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:33 am

Andrew Breskin wrote:I think I have a bottle of the Chenin in my cellar at home and will check then. I am 99% sure that on the bottle it says that it is Mevushal. They serve it at their restaurant, where they only pour mevushal wine (and serve fantastic food as you know!)

Andrew you are correct, I just confirmed it on a bottle of the 08 Chenin Blanc I have in my cellar. Agree about the Herzog restaurant, I had a great lunch there when visiting last year (and signed up for the wine club as well).
Regards,
Eli
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:43 pm

Tel Aviv, Israel

by YoelA » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:57 pm

Just returned from visiting the winery and picking up a few bottles. They say the phone lines a buzzing with orders but did not know how much is still there.
I concur with Rogov's tasting notes though I don't know about the window. The wine is not heavy-bodied, similar to most other wines from this winery. It is more to the elegant side than a knock-your-socks-off cabernet. Medium alcohol (13.5%) also. Priceworthy, I would say.
no avatar
User

Barry K

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:34 am

by Barry K » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:24 am

Hi all
Noting all the excitement about this wine despite its youth . Any suugestions on how to best serve . Those of you who have enjoyed would you please share how you served
decant or not
open 1 ,2,4 hours before serving or straight out of the bottle

Thanks
Next