Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:18 am

Bay Area, CA

Sulfites, Cilantro, and Or Haganuz Elima – Sulfite free wine

by David Raccah » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:29 pm

I just posed a quick note on my blog and twitter account about this new Sulfite free wine: 2009 Or Haganuz Elima. Daniel have you tasted it yet? Goes for 35 or so bucks in the US, and is just showing up now in wine stores.

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2011/04/08/sulfites-cilantro-and-or-haganuz-elima-sulfite-free-wine/

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Sulfites, Cilantro, and Or Haganuz Elima – Sulfite free wine

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:37 pm

David, Hi.....

The laws of probability at work once again. Just before reading your post I was perusing the internet site of Happy Hearts importers. A few things do need to be clarified.

1. Among the wines they carry are those from "HaMeshubach". Let it be known loudly and clearly that the wines produced under this label are from the winery Kadesh Barnea. Whether the "HaMeshubach" wines are private label wines or simply a re-name of the same wines from Kadesh Barnea is not known to me.

2. Also among the importer's offerings are wines from the "Dovev Winery". To the best of my knowledge Dovev is a vineyard in the Upper Galilee and not a winery. Many of the wines of Segal are drawn from this vineyard. I may be wrong on this and am certainly open to correction (I have just sent an email to Happy Hearts seeking clarification).

3. Moving away from wineries to the partial subject of this thread, I do not believe it possible to make a wine that is absolutely free of sulfites. Sulfites are a natural byproduct of the metabolism of yeast during fermentation. Even if no artificial or cultured yeasts are not used and a winery relies entirely on the natural yeasts that lie on the skins of the grapes, sulfites will be formed during the fermentation process. In the United States, where wine comes under the jurisdiction of the ATF*, only if a wine contains more than 10 ppm (parts per million) of sulfites, the wine must be labeled as "contains sulfites".

Whatever, following is my tasting note for the specific wine in question.

Best
Rogov

Or HaGanuz, Elima, 2009: A blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon and 25% Cabernet Franc, said to "contain no sulfites". Dark garnet, with a hint of adobe brick, opens with a somewhat medicinal aroma but that blows off quickly enough to reveal a medium- to full-bodied wine with chunky tannins that give the wine a rustic note. On the nose and palate some black fruits but those overshadowed by barnyard-like aromas and flavors. Drink up. Score 78. K

*The ATF is the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. If the truth be told I have often wondered how and why alcohol and tobacco seen to fall under the same jurisdiction of a body that controls guns and explosives. But who am I to question the wisdom of……….
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:47 pm

With respect to the Dovev wines, I was informed by the folks at Happy Hearts that it's a lower label of Or Haganuz and not its own label (however, not sure how informed the relevant person was).
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback on this Yossi. Private labels and alternate/alternating labels from the same winery are adding a good deal of confusion to the kosher wine scene these days. I am looking increasingly into this matter and hope to be able to make some intelligent and well-informed comments in the 2012 edition of my books.

I am now doubly curious to read the response to my email from the importer.

Best
Rogov
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:13 pm

Hello Daniel,

I noted those Sulfite facts in my blog posting, as this has come up a few time already. WOW, so much for having a cool new "no SO2 added" wine that is drinkable :( I could care less, but I know folks who it truly affects.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:28 am

First of all, they have been adding sulfites since time immemorial, in the form of burnt sulfur (David, you said in your musings that they began adding them at the beginning of the last century). Probably began during Greek or Roman times, or maybe even earlier. Second, the vast, vast majority of people who believe they are allergic to sulfites are not. I've never tasted a sulfite free wine which would keep in good condition for more than a very short period of time, if indeed they were worthy of drinking in the first place.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:43 am

This morning I received a reply to my inquiries from Happy Hearts importers in New York.

Thank you for your interest in some of our wines.
Let me try and answer your questions.
A. Hameshbach is our private label, bottled by Kadesh Barnea.
B. Dovev is not claimed to be a winery. It is a its a series name of Ohr Haganuz's level 1 wines which include: Cabernet, Merlot, Cab-Merlot blend, Shiraz, and Cabernet Franc.
C. The Elima is wine which has no added sulfites. The wine was tested by the ATF labortaries and they granted us authorization to call it a "non-sulfite" wine.

My thanks to Benjamin Bauer of Happy Hearts for his response.

Best
Rogov