Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Stern Winery: A Very Positive Review

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:52 pm

From the point of view of the critic, one of the advantages of small wineries is that it is not difficult to taste and follow their wines from the moment they first make their way to market. To add to that, one of the great pleasures of the critic is finding those wineries whose wines improve in both quality and interest levels on an annual basis.

So it has been with the Stern winery and Monday, 11 April I met with Johnny Stern at my office away from the office (Arcaffe on Basel Street in Tel Aviv), there to share several double espresso coffees each, a package of salty snack pastries and a good deal of conversation.

Founded by on Kibbutz Gadot in the Upper Galilee, first production from the 2004 harvest was of 1,100 bottles. In 2008 the winery released 7,000 bottles and current production is estimated at about 10,000 bottles annually. The winery, recently relocated on Kibbutz Toval, currently relies on Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Shiraz and Petit Verdot grapes, those from the Golan Heights, Upper Galilee and Karmei Yosef. Plans are to grow to annual production of about 20,000 bottles.

Part of my morning tastings today were of the six Stern wines from the 2009 vintage, those most assuredly the best releases of the winery to date. My thanks to Johnny Stern for coming to Tel Aviv to meet with me and for his good company.

Best way to purchase directly from the winery or to find the store nearest you will be to contact Johnny Stern at
stern.johnny@gmail.com

Best
Rogov

Stern, Rotem, 2009: Developed in French and American oak 13 months, a Bordeaux blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot (64%, 21%, 11% and 4% respectively). Medium-dark garnet, medium- to full-bodied with gently gripping tannins, opens with a red fruit nose, goes on to show blackcurrants and purple plums on a lightly spicy background, fruits and tannins rising on the medium-long finish. Approachable now but best from 2012-2015. Score 88. (Tasted 15 Apr 2011)

Stern, Yonathan, 2009: A medium- to full bodied oak-aged blend of 58% Cabernet Sauvignon, 33% Merlot and 9% Petit Verdot with a spicy red fruit nose. Garnet towards royal purple, with soft tannins, opens with a wild berry nose, goes on in the glass to reveal red and black berries, currants and spices, all on a background that hints of cigar tobacco and, on the generous finish a hint of eucalyptus. Give this one the time it needs for its elements to come completely together. Best 2012-2016, perhaps longer. Score 89. (Tasted 15 Apr 2011)

Stern, Cabernet Sauvignon-Shiraz-Merlot, 2009: Made from grapes harvested on the Golan Heights and Karmei Yosef (on the western slopes of the Judean Hills) a medium- to full-bodied blend of 40% each Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz and 20% Merlot. Reflecting its oak aging for 13 months in French and American oak with tannins that open firmly but meld comfortably in the glass and hints of vanilla. On the nose and palate red and black berries, cassis and notes of citrus peel, those on a background that hints at one moment of sweet cedar wood and at another of mahogany. Long and generous. Approachable and enjoyable now but best from mid-2012-2016. Score 89. (Tasted 15 Apr 2011)

Stern, Cabernet Franc, 2009: Full-bodied, reflecting its aging in French and American oak with comfortably subdued notes of spicy cedar wood and spices. Deeply tannic and somewhat closed at this tasting but showing the kind of balance and structure that bode well for the future. Opens slowly (after a first tasting I triple decanted this one to let it blossom) to reveal a lithe and polished wine, with raspberry and cherry fruits on a background of tobacco and licorice notes. Destined to be a "tight" but long and well focused wine. Best from mid-2012-2016, perhaps longer. Score 90. (Tasted 15 Apr 2010)

Stern, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2009: A blend of grapes from the Golan Heights and the Upper Galilee, oak aged for 13 months, showing garnet towards royal purple. Medium- to full-bodied, leaning to the full, revealing soft, near-sweet tannins and hints of sweet and spicy cedar, opens in the glass to show a somewhat rustic wine, with its blackcurrants and blackberries complemented nicely with notes of roasted chestnuts, espresso coffee and sage. On the long finish generous hints of tapenade and tar to grab our attention. Best from mid-2012-2017. Score 90. (Tasted 15 Apr 2010)

Stern, Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve, 2009: Made from grapes from the Ramot Naftali in the Upper Galilee and reflecting its aging in French oak for 15 months with caressing tannins and notes of spicy oak. Full-bodied and supple, with currant and purple plum fruits on a background of earthy minerals and Mediterranean herbs. Approachable and enjoyable now but best from mid-2012-2017. Score 91. (Tasted 15 Apr 2010)
no avatar
User

Alexander F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun May 02, 2010 7:44 am

Israel

Re: Stern Winery: A Very Positive Review

by Alexander F » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:21 pm

Wow, after this review doubling the production shouldn't be a problem. Hope to taste some of these soon.
no avatar
User

Or Shoham

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:22 am

Israel

by Or Shoham » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Since I can't find these listed with any of the usual suspects - anyone have an idea as to the prices of these wines?
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:49 pm

I believe the prices for most of the wines are about NIS 90 and for the reserve, about 140.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Dannyc

Rank

Just got here

Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:11 am

by Dannyc » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:29 am

Most if not all Stern wines are great!!
Very few wineries in Israel make Cabernet Franc and Johnny Stern makes a superb one... :D
But try them ALL,
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:51 am

Danny, Hello and Welcome to the Forum ... even though your commentary about Stern sound suspiciously like an advertisement...

The number of wineries producing varietal Cabernet Franc wines is not as small as you seem to think. Following is at least partial list of those doing so..

Best
Rogov

Margalit
Ella Valley Vineyards
Pelter
Ben Hanna
Recanati
Vitkin
Amphorae (under the old regime)
Carmel
Chateau Golan
Gush Etzion
Gvaot
Tanya
Stern
Yatir
Tishbi
Psagot
Tulip
Na'aman
no avatar
User

Dannyc

Rank

Just got here

Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:11 am

by Dannyc » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks for welcoming me to your forum.
I just like Stern wines. Was not trying to promote them...
All those wineries make 100% Cabernet Franc? that is new to me and I'll try them as well.
Hag Sameach!
Danny
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi,

Two general comments about Johnny Stern wines.

1. I like both the person and his wines

2. In the 2008 release which I tasted at Sommelier, I found his personal signature so strong that it shadowed some of the differences between the grapes:
- All were relatively light in colour
- All were on the light side of tannins and oak
- All were drinking very smoothly
- And if you like the style, you will love them all
(To prove it I can say that recently I identified the Rotem 2008 as probably from Stern in a blind flight of 2008 blends)

Reading the WTN of the 2009, and comparing them to the 2008 posted here as part of Rogov's last year's Sommelier WTN,
I see a big step forward in drinking window and also in score.

Eli