Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Nachmani Wines: A First Tasting

by Daniel Rogov » Sat May 21, 2011 3:07 pm

Several days ago David Nachmani brought me samples of his wines. Located south of Afula in the Gan Ner community in the north of Israel and part of the Gilboa Regional Council, this small winery relies largely on grapes from Kerem Ben Zimra in the Upper Galilee and the southern Golan Heights.

This was my first tasting of the Nachmini wines. My thanks to David who brought tasting samples to Tel Aviv. Those wanting further information may gain that by tele[phone to 057 7729369 or by email to davidna@actcom.co.il

Best
Rogov

Nachmani, Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot, Shaked, 2008: Made from grapes harvested in the Upper Galilee, oak aged in French and American oak for 17 months. Dark garnet, opens with firm tannins that need time in the glass to integrate and show the blackcurrant, blackberry and bittersweet chocolate notes that run through. Tannins and fruits rise on a moderately long finish. Drink now-2013. Score 88

Nachmani, Shiraz, Reserve, 2008: Dark garnet, reflecting its 23 months in French and American oak with gripping, somewhat chunky tannins and generous spicy wood. On the nose and palate purple plums and blackberries, those complemented by notes of espresso coffee and tobacco, all with tannins rising on the finish. Drink now-2013. Score 89.

Nachmani, Merlot, Reserve, Hagar, 2008: Developed in French and American oak for 22 months, showing gripping tannins, a pronounced impact of spicy oak and generous acidity. Full-bodied, dark garnet in color, opens slowly in the glass to reveal blackberries and currants, those with overlays of crushed berries and milk chocolate. Drink now-2013. Score 88.

Nachmani, Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve, 2008: The grapes harvested at Kerem Ben Zimra in the Upper Galilee, reflecting its 22 months in oak with generous notes of sweet-and-spicy cedar wood and tannins that, while gripping when first poured, seem to meld comfortably into the wood and fruits.Garnet in color, medium- to full-bodied with traditional Cabernet blackcurrant and blackberry fruits on a background of spices and roasted herbs. Drink now-2013. Score 88.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Nachmani Wines: A First Tasting

by Daniel Rogov » Sun May 22, 2011 5:37 am

Addition to the Above Post: This is a true garagiste winery, currently producing 1,200 bottles annually.

Correction to the Above Post: The correct telephone contact is 057 7720369.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Or Shoham

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:22 am

Israel

by Or Shoham » Sun May 22, 2011 7:20 am

Interesting.. good notes/scores for a first-time-reviewed winery, and about half an hour's drive. Might have to look into it. I'm a little surprised at the amount of time in oak for most of those wines, though - is it just me, or are those unusually high for a garagiste (or for that matter, just about anyone?)
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sun May 22, 2011 8:53 am

Oak time varies from producer to producer. Depends much on whether this is new or second or third year oak.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Sun May 22, 2011 11:04 am

Hi,

I have noticed the Nachmani wines at the last two small winery events at the Soreq winery.
IMHO they were one of the top 3 at last year's event, and at least top 5 this year.
However, at this small winery, quality had its price - the reserve wines are prices over 100 NIS.

Eli