Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

2007 Hagafen Cabernet Franc

User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 am

2007 Hagafen Cabernet Franc

by Menachem S » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:19 pm

Not sure if people have seen this e-mail from Hagafen, but they are claiming 96 points

We are writing to you today to tell you that our old friends, The Wine Spies, will be featuring an special offer on our Gold-Medal winning 2007 Napa Valley Estate Grown Cabernet Franc. This is our first Cab Franc in more than 10 years, and we chose the right vintage for its return. Robert Parker gave the 2007 vintage a stunning 96 points for Northern California red wines. This is the highest score for a vintage in over a decade, as well.

Daniel, have you tasted
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: 2007 Hagafen Cabernet Franc

by Andrew B » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:44 pm

You have to read carefully into this one. Parker gave 96 points to the vintage in general, not to Hagafen's CF. This has zero correlation to the score of this bottle. Personally I tried this wine and was not impressed, but yes, 2007 was a strong vintage for Napa Cabernets.
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:31 pm

Two wines involved here, indeed both fine but perhaps not fully ready until quite recent months. My latest tasting notes follow.

Best
Rogov

Hagafen, Cabernet Franc, Prix Reserve, Napa Valley, 2007: Oak-aged for 19 months in French and American barriques and blended with 4% Merlot. Full-bodied, dark royal purple in color, with silky-smooth tannins and sweet-and-spicy cedarwood all in fine balance with acid-ity and a generous array of red plums, black and red cherries and to-bacco. From mid-palate on a tantalizing note of basil. Powerful but elegant and with a finish that goes on and on. Drink now-2019. Score 92.

Hagafen, Cabernet Franc, Napa Valley, 2007: Dark garnet with violet reflections, blended with 4% Merlot and showing medium- to full-bodied with generous but not at all imposing oak and tannins now integrating nicely. On the nose and palate black cherries, cassis and citrus peel, and, on the long finish, notes of espresso coffee and lico-rice. Drink now–2016. Score 91.
User

Jon Tabak

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:17 am

Los Angeles

by Jon Tabak » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:49 pm

Ya, I caught that too. Deceptive to say the least. It's also annoying that I get 8-10 of these emails while the deal is in play.
http://www.KosherWino.com - Supporting your kosher wine habit
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:35 am

Further that wine is not tasting that well. The past few times I have had it recently, it is NOTHING like what I had at the winery two years ago. I know Daniel said it was a sleep a bit ago, but I think it is just not that good anymore. It has been consistently not loveable to be called asleep...

My 2 cents,
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Jon Tabak

Rank

Ultra geek

Los Angeles

by Jon Tabak » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:47 am

David - Had the same experience as you, but I stopped drinking them, waiting to hear news of its awakening. I hope it's not gone for good...
User

R Liberman

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:38 am

by R Liberman » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Thanks to all who responded. I was going to order 6 bottles but, based on your comments, I decided to take a pass on this offer. Thanks for saving me some money!
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:36 pm

I have real mixed feelings about this ad. First of all, it is misleading as the title of the ad has "96-point Cab Franc" in it which the Hagafen certainly is not. Then you have to look at the body of the notice to realize that the wine in question is not what the 96 points refers to. Then to receive 10 or more emails concerning this special is a bit much.
In general I have very much enjoyed Hagafen wines and being a premier kosher producer, I want them to be successful, but this kind of advertising turns my stomach.
I look forward to reports that this wine had "awakened" before I try it.
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Tel Aviv, Israel

by YoelA » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Was at Hagafen the other week and tried this wine again. About the third time I have tried it at the winery and have not liked it. Too astringent for me to be able to pick up most of the other tastes.
User

Jon Tabak

Rank

Ultra geek

Los Angeles

by Jon Tabak » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:12 am

Opened a bottle Friday night. I didn't find it astringent as Yoel did, but I didn't find much of anything. Flavors and aromas, if any, were very subtle. Seems consistent with being closed or asleep.