Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

To vacuum or not to vacuum? THAT is the question!

by Gabriel Geller » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:08 am

Hi there!

Do you use a vacuum pump for your unfinished bottles of wine? If you don't, why? I know it's not necessarily the best way to preserve the wine but you don't always have an empty plastic bottle at hand and that looks so bad anyway...

I would love to revive this question that had already been discussed on this forum a while ago when Rogov was around.

Personally I usually use a vaccum pump but I never pump out all the air, only at 70% or so.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Warren B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:43 am

Lawrence,NY

Re: To vacuum or not to vacuum? THAT is the question!

by Warren B » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:26 pm

Pesonally I don't try to preserve open wine. Most good wine will open and improve over a day or two. Why would you want to keep an open bottle longer? LeChaim! :D
User

Gary J

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:38 am

NYC

by Gary J » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:20 pm

Maybe it was the power of Rogov suggestion, but I found that (as Rogov suggested) the aromas were vacuumed out with whatever air was vacuumed out and the wine never tasted the same after being vacuumed.

These days if I don't have a half bottle around or a plastic bottle I will likely just pop the cork back in & stick it in the fridge. Though I heard the idea & like it (haven't tried it yet) of freezing the wine in ice cube trays to cook with it... :wink:
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:45 pm

I stopped vacuuming - I don't think it helped and it may have hurt the wines. If I am drinking within a day I usually keep it in the bottle, sometimes I transfer to the plastic bottle and squeeze out the air. If it is for more that a day or two I always try to put it in the plastic bottle and it has worked pretty well.
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

by Andrew B » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:45 pm

There's a great video blog out there of Gary demonstrating wine preservation in a plastic bottle. Most wine bars or restaurants will use nitrogen to fill the bottles and slow the oxidation, but if it's for personal use, I find the vacuum to be ineffective, and will transfer into a smaller container and refrigerate.
no avatar
User

Mike BG

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:25 pm

Maale Adumim, Israel

by Mike BG » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:34 pm

I used to vacuum, almost religiously. However, I always wondered what was going on with the wine when you could smell such a rich aroma from the vacuum pump! After reading Rogov, I decided to stop. I never really keep wine for longer than a day, so I just put back the cork and put the bottle in the fridge. I have found it a far better method than the vacuum. I don't have the patience to pour it into a smaller plastic bottle and expel the air before closing ...
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:24 am

Well I anyway rarely have a bottle open for more than one or 2 days but I've not noticed so far any harm done to the wine by using my method however I don't store them in the fridge unless it's a white or a Pinot Noir.