Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Turning Colors / WeeksEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Turning Colors / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:09 am

bsd
We can think of white as before colors.Once refracted thru a prism an array of colors can be found.
Yet even white can have many shades.
Peoples faces sometimes change colors;shock,shame,anger or joy.
Causes beyond our control and those which we cause.It's the one's we cause we need to be mighty careful with.
Have a good one; h
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

Re: Turning Colors / WeeksEnd wine

by Isaac C » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:49 pm

I'm planning on drinking the Ella Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Vineyard's Choice 2005 this Shabbos.
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:56 pm

Tonight it will be the Dalton, Reserve, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2007 and tomorrow for lunch the Yatir, Shiraz, 2005.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
User

R Liberman

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:38 am

by R Liberman » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi Harry,

Tonight we'll open a Galil Mountain Sauvignon Blanc 2010 to complement the cilantro and lime chicken. I just received several bottles from kosherhwine.com since it is not available in Maryland. The first bottle was wonderful, and at $13/bottle I think it is a fantastic bargain.

Daniel's (OBM) notes:
Light gold with green and orange tints. Unoaked, pure, crisp and well focused, with peach, citrus, tangerine and mango aromas and flavors. From mid-palate on delightful notes of key lime pie and stony minerals. Refreshing, with appealing complexity. . Drink now. Score 90. K (Tasted 24 Feb 2011)

For Shabbat lunch, we're invited out and I plan to bring a Hagafen Syrah Napa Valley 2007, hopefully matching well with BBQ chicken:

Daniel's (OBM) notes:
Deep garnet in color, full-bodied, with gripping tannins still holding the wine back somewhat, but don’t hold that against it, as the balance and structure are there and all that is needed is a bit of bottle-aging. As this one continues to develop look for abundant blackberry and black cherry fruits, those supported nicely by generous hints of spicy wood, bittersweet chocolate and saddle leather. Long and generous. Drink now–2017. Score 91.

Shabbat Shalom,
Robert
no avatar
User

Stacey B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

by Stacey B » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi Harry.
Tonight we will be having 1848 Reserve 2006 to complement Prime Rib Roast.
Tomorrow we will have Ella Valley Cabernet Franc 2009.
Shabbat Shalom!
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:33 pm

For a change, we are invited, and I am bringing a bottle of 2004 Ella Valley cabernet.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Shavua Tov Harry!

Friday night:

Tishbi Estate Merlot 2005: Very good as always, only one bottle left in my cellar. ): Almost time to move on to the '07 vintage (unfortunately I don't have any bottle of the '06).

Next, and following my recent and great experience last Thursday with the '09 vinatge, I wanted to check and eventually confirm my statement that it's even better than the '08, and yes it is! :) I believe that the higher percentage of Cabernet Sauvignon in the '09 plays an important part for it having more richness compared to the '08.

Dalton Alma Red Bordeaux-blend 2008: Deep, almost black garnet with on the nose dark fruit and spices, also showing on the palate of this full-bodied wine revealing indeed blackberries, mediterranean herbs, tobacco and notes of dark chocolate providing a pleasant hint of bitterness on the long and mouth-filling finish. I see this one as having a more "Bordelaise" personality compared to the '09 and pairing better with "regular" food while the '09 was great with the juicy entrecote steaks I had it with on Thursday.

Shabbat lunch:

GHW, Gamla Chardonnay 2008: Bright gold, with on the nose apples and hints of orange, a medium to full-bodied wine that is still very much alive as it was very well stored. On the palate apples and citrus notes with a light hint of toasted oak on a moderate finish. Nice with sushi.

Tabor, Adama Cabernet Sauvignon Terra Rossa 2009: Dark garnet with on the nose and palate of this full-bodied wine black currants and black cherries, well-balanced with bracing acidity and spices along with dark chocolate showing with mouth-coating tannins on the long finish that have apparently not yet completely integrated. Quite a QPR wine that I would love to see how it will develop over the next 4-5 years.

Saturday night:

A few more wines tonight at my cousin's birthday dinner:

Tishbi Gewurztraminer 2010: Pale gold with on the nose and palate tropical and citrus fruit, a medium-bodied and off-dry wine as Gewurtzraminer should be, was actually a nice surprise as I had heard unenthusiastic comments on this wine but at the end of the day this is a good Gewurtz' for the price.

Jerusalem Winery, Nikanor Cabernet Sauvignon 2006: This wine had aged nicely but is now clearly at its peak. Dark garnet, with on the nose and palate ripe, almost jammy dark and red forest fruit, among which blackberries and red currants, with spices complementing the near-sweet tannins on the long finish. A QPR winner.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:06 pm

hi, harry, shavua tov,

quiet shabbat, winewise. finished the bottle of 2009 livni pinot noir. smoothed out even more.

a good week to all,

isaac
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:16 am

2010 shirah counter punch, 1/2 syrah, 1/2 grenach. It took about an hour to open up. Very enjoyable before dinner.
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:22 pm

2011 Covenant Sauignon blanc X 2 - crisp and delicious. Paired nicely with Chilean sea bass and a host of aged cheeses, incl a Humblot Fog goat chèvre goat cheese.

2006 Recanti special reserve. superb.
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:24 pm

Fri. Night - Carmel kayoumi CS 2007 - rich and nice black fruits, a steal at 22 bucks
Sat lunch - a glass of 2009 peraj petita' and some Omer blond ale.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:35 pm

A Gut Voch Harry(A Good week ;)

We had Friday Night:

2007 Alexander - Gaston:
Smokey, Well integrated Oak, Dark Berries yet even some Toffee/Chocolate action going on..Oh and a little hearby with no big spice .. Nice range and even better on Day two.. Glad I waited another year to open this... I am happy :)

Shabbos Day and Melavah Malka(Fourth Meal on saturday night)
2010 Barkan Classic - Pinotage.. Smooth and just well .. This grape is becoming on my watch for anything blended or Pure Verietal top list stuff for sure.. Amazing table wine.. $10.. realy just nice...
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi Harry.
Friday night - GHW Yarden Merlot Kela Vineyard 2005 - excellent.
Shabbat morning invited to friends for Kiddush to celebrate the birth of their 1st grandson after 13 granddaughters. Several shots of Glenrothes 25 year, Longmorn 16 year, Scapa 14 year and several other single malts. No wine at lunch.
Shavua Tov.
Zvi
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi Harry,

Asif Art Noveau 2009 (Resheet Series) - This white blend is in Asif's entry level series and its componenets are Chardonnay (35%), Viognier (25%), Semilion (20%) and Sauvignon Blanc (20%). From the start the nose was infused by citrusy citron; however, for the first 20 minutes or so the palate felt disjointed, projecting a confused message. Given some time it gained focus, resulting in an enjoyable mouthfeel dominated by pineapple with subtle vanilla, suggesting that some of components were aged in oak. The wine is more round than crisp and has a tinge of bitterness. 13.5% AbV. Asif makes a similar blend in its Chevlei Eretz series, called Avantgarde, considered a step up from the Resheet, the biggest difference being the substatnial amount of Gewurztraminer added to the blend. I had hoped that my memory would serve me in distinguishing these two wines, but unfortunately, I do not recall the taste profile of that wine, and cannot draw any comparisons between them.

Dalton "D" Series Shiraz 2009 - Although it packs a punch with its 15% AbV, the dense dark fruit absorbs it well, and the alcohol's contribution is chiefly in the form of enjoyable menthol. The oak adds a nice layer of dark chocolate. As its name indicates, this is made in the Aussie style, so don't expect meaty flavors; you won't find any. I will add, that the first two glasses were lovely, but then my palate tired.

Flegman Merlot 2007 - A friend stopped by, delivering a glass of this wine. It is medium bodied with raisiny fruit and nice tannins. Its alcohol content is pretty high at 15.3%, but it did not seem to effect it adversely. I will say that I prefer the other Merlot this friend usually brings over, the 2004 Chateau Montviel Pomerol, to this one.

Best,
-> Pinchas
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Rogov's last review of the 2004 Ella Valley cabernet gave it 90 points and a "Drink up" recommendation. I agree with the 90 points (at least); the wine was dee-licious, and feel that it could still be fine a couple of years from now. But I'm not sorry we drank it now.
User

Bill Coleman

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Chicago, Illinois

by Bill Coleman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:30 pm

Friday night: 2009 Goose Bay Viognier with oriental chicken
Saturday lunch: 2008 Yiron with cholent. This stuff is GREAT, need to buy more. Binny's has it for $20.99/bottle!!!
User

Jon Tabak

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:17 am

Los Angeles

by Jon Tabak » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:51 am

Capcanes Peraj Ha'abib Flor de Primavera 2007 - Following in the footsteps of 05 with concentration dialed back a notch and bit more residual sugar
Carmel Mediterranean 2007 - Tannins are well integrated at this point and it really shines...a very interesting and versatile blend
Shiloh Mosaic 2006 - Really enjoy the spice and streak of green, but not for everyone
Domaine du Castel Grand Vin 2009 - I will write up my notes soon

Best,
Jon
http://www.KosherWino.com - Supporting your kosher wine habit
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

by Shlomo R » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:41 am

Nothing too complicated this Shabbos - we had a Cantina Gabrielle Chianti, which is just a consistent pleaser.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:28 am

hi; yarden syrah 2006-tried again.its nice but to m not as interesting as the 05 or the 07.kind of without pizaz. also tried a home brewed wine called Lakewood Cellars cab.nice effort but currently not ok. h
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:17 am

Shirah McGinley Vineyard Syrah 2009- closed down tight as a drum. Better the next day. Will wait 6 months or so before trying again.
Last edited by Jonathan K on Tue May 01, 2012 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Jon Tabak

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:17 am

Los Angeles

by Jon Tabak » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:31 pm

Jonathan - Tasted this one 3 times in the last two months and it was very open and approachable each time. Maybe it's suffering from travel shock??
http://www.KosherWino.com - Supporting your kosher wine habit
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Tue May 01, 2012 9:10 am

Jon Tabak wrote:Jonathan - Tasted this one 3 times in the last two months and it was very open and approachable each time. Maybe it's suffering from travel shock??

Don't know. I've had it a couple of weeks. By the way, spell check killed my post. I have corrected it.
I did try the Thompson vineyard Syrah over Pesach and found that more approachable. The McGinley on the night I tried it had nothing. Much better the next day but still with a short finish which implied to me that it wasn't ready. If I do try it again soon, I think I will decant for an hour it so before drinking.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Tue May 01, 2012 4:14 pm

Well it has been a few weeks since I have posted as I was in Israel and the such. I have posted the wines that I enjoyed or did not enjoy in Israel below. The shocker will be the fact that I liked a semi-sweet Cabernet sparkler!
http://kosherwinemusings.com/2012/04/30 ... in-israel/

These past two weekends - I enjoyed a pair of four gates wines - the 2004 Syrah and the 2005 Chardonnay, both were wonderful, though the 2004 Chardonnay started off very closed and took a couple of hours to finally open and show its tropical and sweet summer fruit paradise.

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2012/05/01 ... tes-syrah/
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.