Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Still Counting/WeeksEnd wine

by Gabriel Geller » Mon May 07, 2012 7:45 am

David Raccah wrote:I went with the 2010 Alma White - what a let down :( They totally screwed up a perfectly good Viognier and turned it into a mess.

Had it on Pesach Lunch Day 1 and was also disappointed but wouldn't have said it the way you did :wink:
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Mon May 07, 2012 8:53 am

hi; enjoyed the gamla white reisling 2010. subtle fruit flavors and tannins that felt like they came together nicely.h
Last edited by Harry J on Mon May 07, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Mon May 07, 2012 12:50 pm

Fri Night - Dalton Petite Sirah 2010, delicious and smooth, tempting to take down the whole bottle. Great QPR at 15 bucks
Sat Lunch - Kasteel Cuvee D'Chateau 2010 - chocolately ale, very high in alcohol at 11%
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Mon May 07, 2012 12:59 pm

Ended up with the Yaffo Carignan 2009 which was scrumptious (I really think Israel should get behind this varietal - it's the easiest to specifically tie to Israel, almost no other country focuses on it and more and more Israeli wineries are doing good stuff with it) and the Bravdo 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon which, while enjoyable Friday night and for lunch the following day, should be consumed in the near future as it was pretty lifeless by the end of the day. We also enjoyed two late harvest wine - the Binyamina 2009 Gewurztraminer and the Gat Shomron 2009 Viognier (made in Icewine style), both delicious.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
no avatar
User

Stacey B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

by Stacey B » Mon May 07, 2012 1:24 pm

I agree with you Yossie about the Yaffo Carignan. It is my favorite Carignan after the Recanati. I thought Carignan in general were low yielding though due to their bushiness and au naturale style of growth. Could that really get enough notoriety in the world to classify Israel as the Carignan Capital?
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Mon May 07, 2012 3:43 pm

Nevertheless, how should Israeli carignans be marketed so as to gain sales? What can a very good carignan give a wine buyer/wine drinker that he/she won't get with currently available wines made from other grapes? And at what price? If this can't be answered, sales are not going to be generated no matter how unique (a bad epxression, to be sure) the wine will be.
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Mon May 07, 2012 5:23 pm

Friday night - Gvaot Herodion Vineyards Dance (Mechol HaKramim) 2008. Finally ready for drinking now, along with the 2010 which was ready from release.
Shabbat lunch - Invited to friends who are Grape Juice drinkers. Told us not to bring any wine this time since they have something special. A real disaster as they brought out a Herzog Sonoma County 1988 Gewurztraminer. It was dark brown and tasted like a very bad Grape Juice. The alcohol was nearly all gone. They loved it.
Zvi
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon May 07, 2012 5:36 pm

Z Spigelman wrote:Shabbat lunch - Invited to friends who are Grape Juice drinkers. Told us not to bring any wine this time since they have something special. A real disaster as they brought out a Herzog Sonoma County 1988 Gewurztraminer. It was dark brown and tasted like a very bad Grape Juice. The alcohol was nearly all gone. They loved it.
Zvi

Thanks for the good laugh to end the day! :lol:
Reminds me of someone who once wanted to impress me by pulling out of his basement a bottle of Carmel Private Collection Cabernet Sauvignon 1988 (also!). Man, was that scary... My conclusions: 1) I learned something: Carmel was already making wine under the PC label back then. 2) That guy did impress me... but certainly not in the way he intended to! ;)
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Mon May 07, 2012 5:48 pm

Laughing to the point of not being able to chew my food.. Wow a real stormer...

Cool collector bottle though even so worth more than the wine..

they do get points for effort. Nice old bottle just stuff that might not have held for 5 years let alone from 1988 till today..

Great story :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Mon May 07, 2012 7:21 pm

2010 dalton petite Sirah- very enjoyable
2010- tshbi Cabernet Sauvignon - not impressive. Maybe needs more time?
no avatar
User

Stephen Weil

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:12 am

by Stephen Weil » Tue May 08, 2012 9:50 am

came acrross Mony Shiraz Reserve 09.
Any tasting notes or comments. 80sh

Steve
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Tue May 08, 2012 10:31 am

I have not tasted it, but rogov did and I am sure others have as well

Mony, Shiraz, Reserve 2009: Dark garnet, full-bodied with still-gripping tannins waiting to settle down, but already showing good balance and structure. On the nose and palate red berries and red currants, those complemented nicely by notes of leather, game meat and spices and, on the long finish, a note of white chocolate. Drink now–2015. Score 88. K
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Stephen Weil

Rank

Ultra geek

by Stephen Weil » Tue May 08, 2012 10:39 am

Thanks David
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Tue May 08, 2012 10:45 am

Stephen Weil wrote:came acrross Mony Shiraz Reserve 09.
Any tasting notes or comments. 80sh

Steve

I tasted it quickly and thought it was not bad at all but it was a quick-btw sip so I wasn't able to take any sort of notes.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Tue May 08, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi. Had it a few months ago in the time frame where the tn says needs time to settle. If you buy it tell us if it did. I enjoyed it then. H][/url]
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Thu May 10, 2012 11:37 am

Hi Harry,

Baron Herzog Syrah/Shiraz 2008 - Eating out this weekend, I enjoyed this straightforward Syrah, made in the Aussie style and showing nice spice on a bed of blueberries. The alcohol level was approximately 14.5%. Mevushal, but not noticeably so.

Best,
-> Pinchas
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Thu May 10, 2012 2:02 pm

I second Pinhas' comments on thre 2008 Herzog shiraz, except that it's a better wine than the usual kosher shraz' from Australia. It was served as the red wine at our shul dinner a couple of months ago and suited the occasion quite nicely.
no avatar
User

Alexander F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun May 02, 2010 7:44 am

Israel

by Alexander F » Thu May 10, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi,
We had Lavan '10, but not the one you suspect, it was from Saslove and can only be purchased in the winery.

Saslove, Lavan 2010 - a blend of Gewurztraminer, Viognier and Sauvignon. On the nose, a mix of tropical fruits and spices from 'traminer and Sauvignon adding to bouquet. The wine is off-dry. Overall, it is not complex, but very pleasant summer wine. There are spices in the short aftertaste. I liked it. Score: 87.

J&J Ostrozovic, Tokaj 5 puttonyos, Slovakia 2004 - it appears that Tokaj region also spans into Slovakia, but only in 2004 the disputes about using the term Tokaj were resolved with Hungary. The wine opens with honey, caramel, mold and old cellar. The residual sugar 125g/l makes it sweet and acidity is high enough to balance. Unfortunately, the wine is one dimensional. Score: 86-87.
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Thu May 10, 2012 11:47 pm

A 5 puttonyos Tokaj that's one-dimensional? Only one comment possible: Oy veh!
no avatar
User

Stephen Weil

Rank

Ultra geek

by Stephen Weil » Fri May 11, 2012 9:10 am

Mony Shiraz 09 Reserve
Indeed we drank it and my pals drank it Blind.
All agreed it was an excellent shiraz.Real good value when I gave the price.

This was followed by an 07 Cab Yarden Single Vinyard Yonatan. A wine worthy of a 94 score

Shabbat Shalom
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Fri May 11, 2012 5:32 pm

David Raccah wrote:a perfectly good Viognier

That's usually an oxymoron in my book.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Alexander F

Rank

Ultra geek

Israel

by Alexander F » Fri May 11, 2012 6:06 pm

YoelA wrote:A 5 puttonyos Tokaj that's one-dimensional? Only one comment possible: Oy veh!

Well, all the basic tokaji aromas were there, but the wine was life-less. I searched a bit and found reviewers that scored it above 90pts, so perhaps I don't appreciate the style. I am sure that Royal Tokaji 5pt was much better last time I opened it, but the typical aromas of mold and damp cellar are not my favorite.
no avatar
User

Alexander F

Rank

Ultra geek

Israel

by Alexander F » Fri May 11, 2012 6:23 pm

ChaimShraga wrote:
David Raccah wrote:a perfectly good Viognier

That's usually an oxymoron in my book.

You mean Israeli Viognier or Viognier in general?
Previous