Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Great example of what's available!- nonkosher

by Craig Winchell » Tue May 08, 2012 1:55 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43855

This is a post on the main forum by Tom Hill about a new release Napa Valley wine, one of the best of its type (Rhone White) he has tasted, for $15/bottle.
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Great example of what's available!- nonkosher

by Craig Winchell » Thu May 10, 2012 4:37 pm

OK, with over 80 views, obviously people are interested. This was a wine being sold by a wine brokerage, with a fanciful, rustic label. It is obviously a wine sold in bulk to someone who bottled and labeled it and marketed or is currently marketing it. It was sold in bulk because perhaps it was the product of a huge winery, but it didn't meet product specification, or it was produced by growers as speculative, because they could not sell all of their fruit from a given year, or for potentially one of a variety of other scenarios. Unfortunately, this is what we miss in the kosher market. Wineries produce what they project they need, not enough more to have a robust market in bulk wines. Part of the problem is the cost of initiating a kosher run, irrespective of the cost of fruit.

Without a robust bulk market, we will never be able to get the prices of kosher wines down to the level of the least expensive nonkosher wines. However, the fact that liquidation of grapes or wine occurs with some frequency means that if people are not too picky, they should be able to acquire inexpensive fruit in order to produce spec wine to initiate a bulk market opportunity. When I was liquidating Yayin Corp., I offered my bulk wines to all in the business of kosher wine, figuring I could probably get a small premium over the same quality bulk wine in the nonkosher market. However, nobody was interested, so I sold it to the nonkosher market.