Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Change the name of the Rogov forums?

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes : 42
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

Re: Poll: Should we change the name of the Rogov forums?

by Mike_F » Thu May 17, 2012 10:39 am

Oh well in that case you answered your own question. The title of this thread indicates very clearly that it is a "poll", suggesting that the forum owner is perfectly entitled to take as much or as little notice of the results of the poll as he sees fit...
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu May 17, 2012 2:45 pm

Mike_F wrote:Functioning democracies usually have some built-in safeguards so that they do not become a "tyranny of the majority". And with all due respect to the extremely loud voices on one side of this question, when a vote is this close it would seem to be beneficial to find a reasonable middle of the road solution, which is what I think Robin meant by his last post.

Yes, thank you, Mike. I guess the bottom line here is that I own these forums, so the buck ultimately stops on my desk.

I don't think I'm subject to criticism, though, for being heavy-handed with the Rogov group. You guys are a self-governing community of peers in practice, and I don't believe I have ever felt the need to tell you what to do.

That said, though, I would like to find a reasonable middle-of-the-road solution while being cognizant of the opinions expressed in this poll. My concern is that the vote is very close, and some opinions on both sides are very strong, so looking for a solution that pushes past that toward a conclusion that will make most people happy, rather than just 55 percent of the group, would be good.

I think we can get there without any hurt feelings by agreeing to drop Rogov's name from the TITLE of the forums - which is, after all, what this vote was about - but honoring his memory as founder of the community by featuring that prominently in the DESCRIPTION of the forums. I think we can move on that fairly easily.

Then we get to decide how to cook the Israeli/Kosher/International stew!

More on all this, though, after I deal with articles on deadline and term papers that are due.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 22, 2012 10:17 am

I am not going to respond to this in detail as it's largely old ground, but I feel obliged to point out that the decision not to remove Rogov's name from the forums immediately upon his passing was a matter of strong group consensus, for no other purpose than to honor his name and memory. A suitable time having passed, we are now in the process of doing in a dignified way that which should not have been done in a rush.

David Rhodes wrote:it's nice to see democracy in action

but I am curious did anyone ever ask Rogov's widow if she wanted his name still attached? it only matters if you want to keep it and not if you don't

I think there is a legal issue (as well as a taste/decorum issue)... she does have a right to how his name is used after his passing even on things he previously agreed (especially where he wasn't compensated)

and either way the name of the forum goes to have kept his name posted as the moderator was/is distasteful and morose (in my opinion as a published wine writer) I would want my name not attached in my passing unless I made previous arrangements before hand

forum could be branded Israel/Kosher Wine Forum: founded by Daniel Rogov in ______ fill in the year (up until another writer/moderator takes up the mantle)

I left a successful wine club in San Diego with 300 members and ran 80 events in 3 years and left it to someone when I moved and now its on its second replacement chair...I'm glad my name isn't attached since I don't oversee what goes on anymore for better or worse though I wish them well and try to help when I can
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 22, 2012 9:00 pm

David Rhodes wrote:so why then even bother with a vote I'm saying...it seems you have enough of a plurality to move ahead and let Daniel RIP

it will be years if not decades before his influence is forgotten (whatever your opinion or appreciation of his contribution) and its time to move forward respectfully yet assertively

David, because this is a community, and I respect that. I may own the building that this crowd has chosen to meet in, but I'm not about to behave as a dictator.

You've come rather late to this discussion. You've had your say now. Anone else?
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed May 23, 2012 8:20 am

David Rhodes wrote:could here be anything more mundane to talk about either way

Do you have anything else to add, David?
Previous