Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Yarden Viogner Deal

by Craig Winchell » Thu May 24, 2012 12:31 pm

Some tasting notes from the main board about some recently tasted old Viogniers, by Tom Hill. The Alban especially sounds pretty nice, and more than just "interesting":

2. Qupe Viognier LosOlivosVnyd/SBC (12.5%) 1991: Med.gold/slight bronze color; slight pear/Viog light oxidized/
toasted hazelnuts/oldRhonish complex nose; tart light peach/pear/Viog some toasted hazelnuts/oldRhone/slight
oxidized complex flavor; very long light peach/Viog toasted hazelnuts/oldRhone complex finish; showing some
oxidation but still pleasurable & more bright/alive than the Marsanne.
strong charred/toasty/Fr.oak light nutty/oldRhone slight caramel/honeyed/cajeta complex finish; still very much
alive & shows Viog fruit and only a trace of oxidation; a terrific old Calif Viog.
considering the amount of weird stuff I throw at them), but for other folks where even a trace of oxidation is a
fatal flaw...these wines are not for them. It struck me as we tasted thru them how much they resemble "orange" wines
that are made in an oxidative style....interesting wines that show better w/ food...but just not to everyones taste.
So....even though I like these "interesting" wines...don't become a TomHill sheep...you'll likely be led astray.
If you want to be any kind of sheep...stick w/ the Monktown attourneys...safer, though more expensive.
TomHill
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Thu May 24, 2012 12:45 pm

Craig,

Reading Tom's notes should make it apparent how large a gap still exists between the kosher offerings and the those of the world at large. And I say that based on the age of the Viognier, their intriguing descriptions, and the development these wines undergo over time.

-> Pinchas
Last edited by Pinchas L on Thu May 24, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Thu May 24, 2012 1:19 pm

Although, good quality aged Viognier is not common in California either. But with the Yarden, I was looking at 2006/2007, not 1991. 2006/2007 is recent enough that the population of good-drinking Viognier in California (from then) is far larger than from 1991,though undoubtedly much smaller than from 2010/11, and I would have hoped that some from Israel was enjoyably drinkable as well.
Previous