Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Say What / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri May 11, 2012 9:23 am

b'sd
A truth that's not always easy; is that the echo of what we say to our children and/or that which our parents said to us, is loudest and longest lasting not so much by our words as by our actions.
Have a good one; h
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

Re: Say What / WeeksEnd wine

by YoelA » Fri May 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Tonight, chicken with a rich onion/soy sauce, together with some 2005 Ledgewood (Suisun Valley) syrah and 2006 Vertikal Piesporter Michelsberg auslese.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat May 12, 2012 5:09 pm

Shavua tov Harry, folks,

Friday night: Livni Pinot Noir 2009, awesome as always and had very little sediment this time.

Shabbat Lunch: Carmel Appellation Petite Sirah 2005: Great, also didn't have sediment unlike the previous time I had it 10 days ago, and while at its peak I think now that better-stored bottles can hold it for another year. Believe it or not but it paired well with a cholent! :)

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Stephen Weil

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:12 am

by Stephen Weil » Sun May 13, 2012 2:02 am

Quiet shabbat and light meals went well with Pinot Noir 08 from Ella.
Second bottle in 2 weeks and love it every time.It was even better on shabbat.

All the halachic experts. Can one use the little vacume pumps to remove the air from the bottle on shabbat?

Have a good week

Steve
User

Jon Tabak

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:17 am

Los Angeles

by Jon Tabak » Sun May 13, 2012 4:56 am

Enjoyed some great wines this weekend...

2004 Yatir Forest
2004 Castel Grand Vin
2000 Chateau Leoville Poyferre
2003 Chateau Leoville Poyferre

Best,
Jon
http://www.KosherWino.com - Supporting your kosher wine habit
no avatar
User

Stacey B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

by Stacey B » Sun May 13, 2012 8:01 am

Dalton Reserve Merlot 2003 held on to one of these as lat year it was still good. Color , taste still good, but not enough tannins very soft, perhaps a little too soft for the prime ribs of beef.
Yatir Viognier 2009 Melon and citrus bouquet and aroma perfect for our Shabbat morning kiddush wine and cheese fest.
Segals Argaman 2006 Very mediterranean feel to it still feel the berry fruit and mild tanins, enjoyed it with a roasted veal chop
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun May 13, 2012 9:45 am

Hi; teperberg silver sangiovese 2010.a note of spice kicks in right away and a long soft finish. gamla sangiovese 2009 found very uninteresting in its flavor profile. h
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Sun May 13, 2012 12:17 pm

Fri Night - Flechas Malbec 2009 - made for beef, but seemed to fade in the glass, showed better following night
Sat Lunch - Peraj Petita 2009 - very enjoyable with a variety of dishes
Bonus - Carton Brewing Company, Atlantic Highlands NJ Boat Beer - growler from whole foods, great kolschy light ale, low alcohol, but very nice flavors, especially for citrus fans
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sun May 13, 2012 4:08 pm

Hi, Harry,

2008 Capcanes Peraj Petita
2010 Carmel, Single Vineyard, Riesling
2009 Domaine Netofa

All drinking beautifully,

Isaac
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun May 13, 2012 4:22 pm

2009 Recanati Reserve Wild Carignon ___ WOW!
This is truly that different style that gets me excited thank you S.F.
Earthy, Vegital, BLACK berry Jammy..Realy BLACK and Oak is way off in the distance or picture The Jam spreading across the Barrel's with only very light char :). Super Bouquet.. Had one friend smelling it for a couple of minutes straight.
Mineraly yummy.. Hmmm Words please.

How about a wine that has the range on our pallete like Full bodied with no heaviness(Medium body(Great tannin)), a big fruity but no bomb and dry & Realy green yet enough Dark fruits in play that a Cab person could still find some love.. This is just a great expression and I hope more to come with this grape in Israel.

Worth the wait and when the 2010's get to America will need to put this away for a very special event.
Love be with you,
Last edited by Yehoshua Werth on Sun May 13, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Sun May 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Had the Tulip Just Merlot, did not like it Friday night, thought it was just OK Shabbos day. Also had a taste of the Or Haganuz Meron - a friend brought this one - did not like it. Shabbos day I drank mostly beer - a homebrew dubbel, Bear Repuplic Racer 5, Trader Joe's Vintage Ale 2011, and also had a shot of Glenlivet Nadurra 16.
User

Joshua London

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:53 am

by Joshua London » Mon May 14, 2012 12:38 am

Hi Harry,
Drank lots of good wine this weekend (Flechas de los Andes Gran Malbec 2009, Binyamina Chardonnay Reserve Unoaked 2010, Odem Mountain Shiraz Volcanic 2009, Hagafen Sauvignon Blanc 2011), but all were marred by the conspicuous absence of my wife (who, alas, is out of town through next Shabbos) -- consoled myself with some really excellent single malts though (Glengoyne 10 & 17, Tomatin 18, Dalmore 15, Cragganmore single cask 19, and Laphroaig 10 cask strength).
All best,
Josh
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Mon May 14, 2012 1:04 am

The Recanati Carignan is great, both the 09 and 10. That said, I'm pretty disappointed with The pricing on this one in the US. Retail is nearly double it's price in Israel, marking a pricing strategy change for the winery and what I perceive to be taking advantage on a coveted wine...
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon May 14, 2012 1:48 am

Yossie Horwitz wrote:The Recanati Carignan is great (...) Retail is nearly double it's price in Israel, marking a pricing strategy change for the winery and what I perceive to be taking advantage on a coveted wine...

Agreed, I think this is a clear case of "Rogov's score price inflating" effect, something that was expectable upon reading his TN when he first posted it. I even don't have to look it up, I clearly remember it "rating it on a hedonistic basis (...) 96-97 for the sheer pleasure it gives but 93 in a more standard manner". A truly great wine indeed but there should be a limit when it comes to take advantage of people.
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

by Shlomo R » Mon May 14, 2012 2:28 am

Been keeping it simple and on a more affordable level for a few weeks now, and in line with that this week we had a bottle of Cantina Gabrielle Pinot Noir - one of the many high QPR offerings from this winery.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Mon May 14, 2012 8:41 am

Yossie Horwitz wrote:The Recanati Carignan is great (...) Retail is nearly double it's price in Israel, marking a pricing strategy change for the winery and what I perceive to be taking advantage on a coveted wine...

Agreed, I think this is a clear case of "Rogov's score price inflating" effect, something that was expectable upon reading his TN when he first posted it. I even don't have to look it up, I clearly remember it "rating it on a hedonistic basis (...) 96-97 for the sheer pleasure it gives but 93 in a more standard manner". A truly great wine indeed but there should be a limit when it comes to take advantage of people.

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=43909
User

Joshua London

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:53 am

by Joshua London » Mon May 14, 2012 10:08 am

Gabriel Geller wrote:Agreed, I think this is a clear case of "Rogov's score price inflating" effect, something that was expectable upon reading his TN when he first posted it. I even don't have to look it up, I clearly remember it "rating it on a hedonistic basis (...) 96-97 for the sheer pleasure it gives but 93 in a more standard manner". A truly great wine indeed but there should be a limit when it comes to take advantage of people.

Actually, per the comment by Daniel Kovnat in the other thread that (that Isaac Chavel linked to), any price increase on these is far more likely to be the result of Mark Squires scores than of Rogov's write-ups. Keep in mind that Recanati is imported into the US by Palm Bay Imports, a company that does not carry any other kosher wines and is one of those exceptions to the distribution hurdles generally associated with being imported by a company that had no previous kosher distribution network to plug into. Also, of course, only so much stock was imported and that limited supply was divided up between their various distribution markets/regions. Hence the price jump. While I've no doubt that the winery is delighted at the thought that their wines can command such prices in the US market, and having hit that mark I've also no doubt that they shall not be too eager to see the prices come down ever, but I would not be at all surprised if they were not the source of the initial price jump. Unfortunately, the price will not come back down so long as market forces determine that the price is acceptable to the market. If the more expensive wines sell out in the time expected and at the price commanded, then it will not trend down anytime soon.

Could be worse. My favorite example is the non-kosher (in every sense) Harlan Estate wines. Harlan Estate was conceived and produced as an over-expensive "cult wine" and was priced at the $60-70 mark when it first hit the market with its early 1990s vintages (the 1990 vintage was first released in 1996). Robert Parker gave it a 98 score right out of the starting gate, and since then four Harlan wines have earned 100 point scores, and the prices have jumped to over $500 per bottle (last time I looked, probably much higher now).

Now I am NOT the target market for Harlan wines, and I have never tasted a Harlan wine. Frst, because it is not kosher, second, because I have never and never will spend such sums for single bottles of wine. Further, I am offended by the entire enterprise of "cult wine" playthings created by rich people for ego and sport. Hell, even Parker has objected to the price hikes. Yet the wines sell at thos eprices, and even worse at auction.

Within the kosher wine world, we do have such pricing strategies too. Not the "cult wine" thing -- so far as I know -- but the ego, prestige and greed thing. How else to explain, for example, the kosher edition of Château Léoville Poyferré Saint-Julien 2005 commanding $250 per bottle! Yet the wine has sold at that price. I've tasted this one, and it is impressive and an excellent wine -- but at that price!?!? So even though there is no more Rogov to help validate such extravagant pricing for a kosher run of a deuxième cru, don't expect that price to substantially fall anytime soon - if ever.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon May 14, 2012 10:19 am

Not to pull this too afar, but the Recanati 2010 Wild Carignan, can be had in Israel for 129 sheck! Here ~60 or so bucks, depending on the discount. Crazy. In Israel, when the 2009 was released it could not be found for less than 200 or so. Now for the 2010 that is not an issue, maybe because they have yet to score it (by Daniel or Parker) and so have yet to force the prices higher - not sure....

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Mon May 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Does anyone know if the production in 2010 on the Recanati Carignan past the 5999 Bottle mark. That would also have weight on the price?
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon May 14, 2012 4:10 pm

Yehoshua Werth wrote:Does anyone know if the production in 2010 on the Recanati Carignan past the 5999 Bottle mark. That would also have weight on the price?

Can't recall the exact figure Yehoshua (I'm sold out! :( ), but I'm almost 100% sure it being under 6000.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Mon May 14, 2012 10:08 pm

Hi Harry,

Recanati Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 - As an entry level wine it is not bad. This cab is approachable young and seems to have been intended for early consumption, with its mellow tannins and low acidity. The fruit is dominant, yet the tad of earth and tobacco on the finish is sufficient to raise it a notch. The alcohol is well integrated, so that its actual level did not stand out enough for me to take note of it. Nonetheless, of the various entry level Israeli wines I had over the past week, my favorite is the Teperberg Red of the 2009 vintage.

Best,
-> Pinchas
User

Bill Coleman

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Chicago, Illinois

by Bill Coleman » Tue May 15, 2012 3:17 am

Friday night - Peraj Petita 2006. Very nice, hadn't opened a bottle in a year or so. Three left.
Saturday - K by Saslove 2003 Cabernet Sauvignon. Nose smelled of Jack Daniels, couldn't finish the bottle. One left, sigh!
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Tue May 15, 2012 12:55 pm

GHW Gamla Nebbiolo 2008 (bitter chocolate at the end) and Syrah 2009.
no avatar
User

Philip Aron

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:49 am

by Philip Aron » Tue May 15, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi Harry,

Barkan, Assemblage, Tzafit, 2009

Really loved this wine , fruit with herbs/spices and not too heavy. Great value at less than 90 N.I.S
Next