Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

Wines I Brought Back from Israel

by Pinchas L » Tue May 15, 2012 6:33 pm

Although I originally had not planned on bringing any wine back with me, I succumbed to my temptation once I was left without my wife's supervision in the duty free shop. My selection was based on price, novelty--by that I mean items I haven't had in the past and that I don't recall seeing in local stores, and availability--of course. Four of the five wines were bought at James Richardson in TLV airport, and the fifth was purchased at Tishbi winery.

Since I haven't tasted the wines I won't provide any tasting notes, but I will mention the approximate price I paid for each. The list is as follows:

Galil Mountain Alon 2009 - $19.90
Galil Mountain Avivim 2008 - $20.90 - The Avivim is three quarters Viognier and one quarter Chardonnay. I would have preferred the '09 vintage, but they didn't have it.
Yarden Chardonnay Odem Vineyard 2010 - $22.90
Recanati Reserve Petit Syrah/Zinfandel 2010 - $27.90
Tishbi Estate Malbec - 139 NIS.

Its too bad my wife wasn't willing to act as designated drive, or I would have taken the opportunity and tasted through Tishbi's offerings. I know they seem to march to their own beat, often releasing wines that aren't mainstream, and that they are not in the list of trendy Israeli wineries. Nonetheless I was hoping to get a first hand look at the winery, forming my own opinion.

As an aside, Tishbi has created a line of gourmet jelly, many of which are wine based, such their Riesling Wine Jelly that I tasted and is very good IMHO.

Also, the duty free shop was running their usual 3+1 special, so that I actually paid less than the listed prices for the wines I purchased.

Best,
-> Pinchas
Last edited by Pinchas L on Tue May 15, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Wines I Brought Back from Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Tue May 15, 2012 9:01 pm

Good they had the 3+1, makes it a good deal. As to the listed prices it's a rip off for the Alon and Avivim, the others are quite fine prices. With that said, knowing the pricing of Yarden and Galil in the States, I'd have waited for the wines to be released there, I recall Avivim selling for $12 in LA and I guess the Alon won't be higher than $15-17 upon release. The Tishbi jellies are great indeed - a big hit! Their Malbec is also terrific IMHO.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Tue May 15, 2012 10:30 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:Good they had the 3+1, makes it a good deal. As to the listed prices it's a rip off for the Alon and Avivim, the others are quite fine prices. With that said, knowing the pricing of Yarden and Galil in the States, I'd have waited for the wines to be released there, I recall Avivim selling for $12 in LA and I guess the Alon won't be higher than $15-17 upon release. The Tishbi jellies are great indeed - a big hit! Their Malbec is also terrific IMHO.

Hi Gabriel,

Having read your post, I double checked the prices on the labels and realized that I had reversed the prices on the Yarden Chardonnay and Galil Avivim. I've corrected that in my post. Agreed, even at $20.90 the Avivim is still considerably more expensive than the $12 at which price you've seen it sold in LA. As I said, the purchase was made on the spur of the moment, and the wines chosen were those that I typically would not have purchased at home.

Best,
-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Wed May 16, 2012 5:06 pm

Pinchas - looking forward to hearing your opinion on the Tishbi Malbec which many folks like but I wasn't a huge fan of.
Tishbi's offerings. I know they seem to march to their own beat, often releasing wines that aren't mainstream, and that they are not in the list of trendy Israeli wineries.

I think the issue with Tishbi is that, generally their wines aren't great and not that they march to their own beat. The jams do rock though! Try the Chardonnay and Champagne-based ones.

Also, three of the five wines you brought back with you are readily available in the US (the Odem, Recanati and Avivim). Next time, I'd recommend bringing back wines that you can't find here.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Wed May 16, 2012 5:38 pm

Nice selection. i too brought back the alon and wonder if it should wait several months. price wise sounds like the tishbi was high. h
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Wed May 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Yossie,

I know......
It was a purchase on the spur of the moment, and these wines met my criteria in terms of price and novelty (for me). And honestly, I probably would not have bought them in the States. That being said, I try to make an effort to branch out and sample wines from producers I typically don't have in my stock. Specifically, Recanati and Galil Mountain are wineries whose selection I would like to sample some more before stocking up on some of their wines.

Harry,

I plan on letting the Alon rest about a month and then depending on my mood I'll have it somewhat thereafter. As for the Tishbi, I'm not exactly sure of the price I paid, it might have been 130 NIS or 139 NIS, but it is definitely the most expensive bottle of the bunch.

-> Pinchas
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Wed May 16, 2012 8:28 pm

The Tishbi's price is correct. Now is it worth it? Subjective question as always.