Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Mountain Laws / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri May 18, 2012 10:12 am

bsd
Agriculturaly, it is said grapes grow very well on a mountain slope.A correlation maybe in the resulting heights the wine can bring us to. In the human realm there are those who are enticed to climbing mountains.
And there are those of us who climb but dont seem to make it to the top.So we try again;each time perhaps reaching a little higher.
There are laws of nature that govern our world and yet there is the endless strength of the spirit.
Have a good one; h
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

Re: Mountain Laws / WeeksEnd wine

by Yossie Horwitz » Fri May 18, 2012 10:20 am

Going to see if Domaine Herzberg, Malbec, 2009 is still going well. As a backup, I have Brobdingnagian, Grenache, 2007.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Fri May 18, 2012 10:51 am

Yossie Horwitz wrote:Going to see if Domaine Herzberg, Malbec, 2009 is still going well.

Had it again about 10 days ago, did very well, still alive and kicking with mouth-coating tannins. The best Herzberg IMHO.

Planning tonight Latour Netofa Red '10 and Dalton Zinfandel '07 (many thanks S! :) ), for lunch Psagot CS '08.

Shabbat shalom!

GG
no avatar
User

Warren B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:43 am

Lawrence,NY

by Warren B » Fri May 18, 2012 11:39 am

Tonight Hebron Heights Pardes merlot 2005 and Yarden Kela merlot 2005. May the best man win!
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Fri May 18, 2012 12:13 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:
Yossie Horwitz wrote:Going to see if Domaine Herzberg, Malbec, 2009 is still going well.

Had it again about 10 days ago, did very well, still alive and kicking with mouth-coating tannins. The best Herzberg IMHO.
GG

Exchanges like this drive me nuts. It is sad that one needs to worry about a red wine from '09 two and half years from vintage whether or not its still drinking well. If I were to discover that a red wine is suspect within five years from vintage I would no longer patronize the winery producing that wine, unless the wine in question was akin to a Beaujolais Nouveau, clearly intended to have a very short shelf life. Honestly, when I see someone talk about a Israeli wine that is two years old and referred to as "still alive and kicking," I cringe as it speaks volumes about the quality, or lack thereof, of Israeli wines.

-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Fri May 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Pinchas - it's a brand new, tiny winery with no track record of any sort. Questions regarding the development of such a winery don't seem out of the ordinary, Israeli or not. I wouldn't let it cast aspirations of any sort on Israeli wineries as a whole.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Fri May 18, 2012 6:31 pm

Plan is for:

1. Covenant Red C Sauvignon Blanc 2011
2. Four Gates Cab Franc 2006-my last bottle of a case and what a great ride it has been. Sad too because the 2007 isn't drinking nearly as well at this point to my taste.
no avatar
User

Stacey B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

by Stacey B » Fri May 18, 2012 6:42 pm

Tonight's plan Tishbi Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2002
Tomorrow Wilhm Riesling 2008 and Kayoumi Riesling 2010
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri May 18, 2012 9:54 pm

Jonathan K wrote:Plan is for:

2. Four Gates Cab Franc 2006-my last bottle of a case and what a great ride it has been. Sad too because the 2007 isn't drinking nearly as well at this point to my taste.

Jonathan, let the 2007 Four Gates CF air out. I have had it many hours after opening and the green notes meld better with the oak extraction and the acid calms down a bit. That said, you can always wait and let the wine come to you.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri May 18, 2012 9:55 pm

Stacey B wrote:Tonight's plan Tishbi Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2002
Tomorrow Wilhm Riesling 2008 and Kayoumi Riesling 2010

Stacy would love to hear your opinion of the 2008 Wilhm Riesling - I was HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED the last time I had it. The Carmel WR is AWESOME!

Further if you could, I would pair it with Hagafen White Rieslings, any of the three they sell and see how they compare. I personally like the Carmel and the Devoto Vineyard WR from Hagafen. The other two from Hagafen have too much residual sugar to make it a food wine, unless you are talking dessert or really spicy food.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat May 19, 2012 4:20 pm

Stacey B wrote:Tonight's plan Tishbi Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2002

WOW! Tishbi Cab Estate '02?! I'd be suprised if there's anything left in there! I had the Tishbi Special Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon Gush Etzion 2002 about 3-4 years ago and while it was truly excellent it was also clearly at its peak, so the Estate '02? I wouldn't take the risk without a plan B (though I'm quite confident you had one).

Harry shavua tov and Yom Yerushalayim Sameach to those that celebrate!

Friday night:

Domaine Netofa, Latour Red 2010: An interesting (from one of the most interesting wineries in Israel) and different wine than the 2009 while still keeping a similar flavor profile. Pierre Miodownick (the winemaker) advised me to open it an hour before drinking and so we did but it kept developing in the glass and paired pretty well with the food (beef stew). Dark purple toward garnet at the rim, medium-bodied with on the nose and palate meaty and smoky notes, plums, oak and spices and a bit of tar on the moderately long finish. My personal feeling was that it lacked a bit of acidity and backbone and the tannins were almost unfelt. Perhaps we opened it too early and I'd be very interested to retaste it in 8-12 months.

Dalton, Zinfandel 2007: First I'd like to express my thanks again (the 'responsible' will eventually recognize himself) for the opportunity to enjoy this great wine! Very dark purple, full-bodied with on the nose an explosion of blueberry jam almost hiding some notes of fresh lavender, on the palate again ripe blueberries, Mediterranean spices and sweet oak and vanilla from the american barrels it was aged in with well-integrated tannins rising on a luscious and long mouth-feeling finish. Yumm! (I think I'm at the beginning of a love affair with well-made Zin'!). :P

Shabbat Lunch:

Psagot, Cabernet Sauvignon 2008: Dark, almost black garnet, medium-full-bodied with on the nose black currants and blackberries, these showing also on the palate with some some nice cigar box and Mediterranean herbs and notes of vanilla as well as some dark chocolate, elegant with plenty of bracing acidity and mouth-coating tannins rising on the very long finish. The best Cabernet Sauvignon IMHO from the Judean Hills, showing more elegance and less fruit-forward than most its pears from the North.

Best,

GG
Last edited by Gabriel Geller on Sun May 20, 2012 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Stacey B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

by Stacey B » Sun May 20, 2012 12:06 am

Shavua Tov!
David- My guest did not want to re-try the Wilhm as she did not like it last time around so we only opened the Kayoumi today for the white, however we also had Peraj Petita 2009. We had the Kayoumi with Veal Scallopini with artichokes(used up some Odem Chardonay to make the sauce). The Kayoumi worked great with that dish. Will try the Wilhm again as I have 9 more bottles of it! Would love to try the Hagefen you suggested as well next time(would it work with artichokes?)
Gabriel- The Tishbi Eastate 2002 Cabernet still had life believe it or not. I was hesitant, but it still had tannins albeit soft. The color was still deep garnet and the fruit was still detectable as well. We enjoyed it very much. We also enjoyed some Recanati Petit Syrah zinfandel 2009( always pleasant) which would have been the back up if needed. So happy you got the Dalton Zinfandel 2007(still ahve a few left), I missed the 2009 and I am trying to get the 2010!
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun May 20, 2012 2:41 am

2007 Tishbi Sde Boker:
Wow as normal will age a lot longer and my friend who does not in-joy dry wine said: "Wow this is great"

2010 Dovev Chardonnay:
Solid effort @ around $10

Glenmorangie 10 Year Scotch :)
Simple and good.. it was chilled too.. A little silly and nice

Oh and am truly loving my wifes new spelt Challah :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun May 20, 2012 2:51 am

Stacey B wrote:The Tishbi Eastate 2002 Cabernet still had life believe it or not. I was hesitant, but it still had tannins albeit soft. The color was still deep garnet and the fruit was still detectable as well. We enjoyed it very much.

:D Well, I believe you of course, I'm glad you could still enjoy it, you must have stored it really well. No one would have expected that but my bottles of Yarden Blanc de Blancs '98 and Brut 2001 were also very alive when we had them 2 months ago so why not a Tishbi Cab '02 after all? I've 2 bottles left of Yarden Brut 2000 that we will drink this coming Thursday at my partner's engagement party and I've some confidence that it will also not disappoint, I'll of course report back. 8)
Last edited by Gabriel Geller on Sun May 20, 2012 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Stephen Weil

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:12 am

by Stephen Weil » Sun May 20, 2012 4:47 am

Dalton, Zinfandel 2007: First I'd like to express my thanks again (the 'responsible' will eventually recognize himself) for the opportunity to enjoy this great wine! Very dark purple, full-bodied with on the nose an explosion of blueberry jam almost hiding some notes of fresh lavender, on the palate again ripe blueberries, Mediterranean spices and sweet oak and vanilla from the american barrels it was aged in with well-integrated tannins rising on a luscious and long mouth-feeling finish. Yumm! (I think I'm at the beginning of a love affair with well-made Zin'!).
Sounds great and for Yom Yerushalim I will try one myself.

Shabbat I had a great wine from what will be a great winnery in kosher wines. I am talking about FLAM. Cant wait for the reserves to be released, but i had the 2010 Clasico. Soo drinkable with good fruit and mixed berries.

Chag sameach
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Sun May 20, 2012 12:15 pm

Hi Harry,

Eating out this weekend, I did not imbibe my usual fill of wines. I should be back to my normal drinking habits this week.

Gamla Muscato 2011 - The pineapple and peach flavors were so direct and in-your-face that I thought I was drinking an alcohol infused punch. Lacking any subtlety or sophistication, it is nonetheless pleasurable for what it is, especially with a few ice cubes thrown in. It stood its ground with my other choice, Smirnoff Ice; those sweet malt based drinks with fruit flavoring. 6% AbV and mevushal. (For those still confused, this is the Gamla label owned by Herzog, and the winemaker is Peter Stern, not the Yarden team.)

Best,
-> Pinchas
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun May 20, 2012 2:02 pm

American Gamla = Peter Stern Made @ Carmel
Israel & the rest of the World Gamla = Victor S. @ Golan Heights
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
Monsey, NY USA
User

Joshua London

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:53 am

by Joshua London » Sun May 20, 2012 3:26 pm

Hi Harry,

Nothing all that notable over Shabbos, but led a wine tasting fundraiser for a local synagogue which included the following (not in this order):

Psagot Edom 2009
Yatir Forest 2007
Barkan Altitude Cabernet 624 2007
Ella Valley Chardonnay 2009
Ella Valley Cabernet 2007
Yarden Caberent 2009
Dalton Oak Aged Sauv Blanc 2011

There were a few other Israeli wines as well, but these were the stars. General consensus was that the Pasgot bested in the reds (though in fairness by the time the host pour the Yatir, I suspect the palate of most folks was already fairly fatigued) and the Dalton in the whites (we also had two other Chards but neither performed all that well). I helped select the wines, but was not the final arbiter of what made it into the tasting.

An enjoyable evening, it seemed, was had by all.

All best,
Josh
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun May 20, 2012 4:19 pm

Joshua London wrote:Yarden Caberent 2009

Is that really already available in your neck of the woods?! It shouldn't be out before this coming fall here in Israel!
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun May 20, 2012 4:38 pm

Was that a misprint or did you somehow get a Barrel Sample or Sample Bottle.
Nothing released in states to date?

Yarden 09' HUH?
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
Monsey, NY USA
User

Joshua London

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:53 am

by Joshua London » Sun May 20, 2012 4:59 pm

Ah, sorry, no - just sloppy notes. I didn't write a formal evaluation since I was busy being the dancing monkey. I guess it must have been the 2007. My bad.
no avatar
User

Shawn Johnson

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:28 pm

by Shawn Johnson » Sun May 20, 2012 7:23 pm

DALTON D PETITE SIRAH 2010. ONE OF MY FAVORITES. 3RD SHABBAT IN A ROW
KINNERET MUSCAT HAMBURG 2010 FOR THE LADIES
CHATEAU BELIVERIES BORDEAUX 2010- FOR KIDDUSH

GOOD WEEK TO ALL
User

Bill Coleman

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Chicago, Illinois

by Bill Coleman » Mon May 21, 2012 12:57 am

Friday night - Pacifica Pinot Noir 2010
Saturday - Golan 2008 Chardonnay

Tonight we finished off the Golan. I'd thought it was pretty nice for an entry-level wine, and it was, but we opened a bottle of Four Gates and.... WOW! No comparison!
no avatar
User

Stephen Weil

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:12 am

by Stephen Weil » Mon May 21, 2012 2:57 am

Many people say Pinot Noir in Israel is not great. I only know the Israeli kosher scene. What should I buy in kosher Pinot which will give me an idea of what the best Pinot should taste like?
Thanks
Steve
Next