Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

TNs from a few meals in Tierra Sur, Herzog Winery

by Andrew B » Thu May 24, 2012 6:07 pm

Spent a few days in the Oxnard area and visited the winery restaurant:

2007 Waterford Lismore Sauvignon Blanc: pleasant flavors of nectarine and gooseberry, but the zip is long gone on this "vintage" bottle. Went well with the food.
2010 Herzog PS2 Petite Sirah: Some obligatory blueberry notes, very soft and mild tannins, but all in all this was not typical of the varietal and rather unexciting compared to the first release.
NV Drappier Carte Blanche: light to medium bodied, mild citrus and toast elements, but well balanced and enjoyable to drink. Bubbles were right on.
2009 Eagle's Landing Chardonnay: Medium bodied, somewhere in the middle between the Baron Chard and the Herzog Reserve, but not in the sweet spot for me. Could have used a bit more acid. Perhaps it was an older vintage; I don't recall.
2011 Herzog Orange Muscat: very simple sweet wine, but as Rogov used to say in the name of Lincoln, those who like this sort of thing would like this sort of thing.
1978 Kedem Port: Surprisingly enjoyable, but much lighter and milder than I prefer my ports, and lacking in complexity. But, if you take in to account this was made in New York 25 years ago, it's pretty good.

Some reasonably priced selections that I didn't get around to include some older Weinstock Zins and Herzog Alex Cabs, which are probably drinking very nicely given the provenance. Hopefully if I have a chance, I will comment about the food in the other forum.