Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Daniel Kovnat

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:36 am

Israel

Re: A Lift / WeeksEnd wine

by Daniel Kovnat » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi Pinchas,

My A,B,C.....grading system has the old school "F" as an additional option for the wine that flunks out. And you are correct that I seem to be using my own system and generally giving the wines higher grades. I do think that this is because I have been buying, tasting, grading and writing about some of the better wines of Israel. I have been meaning to do a comparison of the wines that provide the majority of income to the winery's bank accounts, those more mass produced wines. Will these get the lower grades? I'll try it and see.

Here's my grading system:
A = I'd buy it again :D
B = I'm glad I'm drinking it but won't buy it again
C = It's O.K. but not worth the price
D = I'ts mediocre - not worth the price and not worth drinking
F = Dunp it - not even good enough for cooking :mrgreen:
Come on over to read about my experience tasting wines produced in Israel at http://www.israelwinetaster.com
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:22 pm

Daniel Kovnat wrote:Here's my grading system:

Hi Daniel,

First of all, you really lower the bar for an A, as all it requires is an endorsement for a repeat purchase. I'll probably buy more of wines that straddle the B, even earning a score as low as a B-, and when a mediocre wine will do, I will even purchase a wine with a score of a C, provided the price is right.

Secondly, I would like to point out just how intertwined the notion of value is with the scores you assign, as the legend for each of your scores uses explicit language linking it to your opinion of the wine's value and worth, rather than language describing your experience and level of enjoyment.

Best,
-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:56 pm

Fri Night - Dalton Petite Sirah 2010 - Highly recommended, maybe the wine of the year when considering taste, quality, price, and general ability to be recommended without compunction
Sat Lunch - Affligem Dubbel - my favorite Dubbel, without some of the cloying sweetness found in others, great with blech-ed ziti bolognese.
User

Daniel Kovnat

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:36 am

Israel

by Daniel Kovnat » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:49 pm

Pinchas L wrote:
Daniel Kovnat wrote:Here's my grading system:

Hi Daniel,

First of all, you really lower the bar for an A, as all it requires is an endorsement for a repeat purchase. I'll probably buy more of wines that straddle the B, even earning a score as low as a B-, and when a mediocre wine will do, I will even purchase a wine with a score of a C, provided the price is right.

Secondly, I would like to point out just how intertwined the notion of value is with the scores you assign, as the legend for each of your scores uses explicit language linking it to your opinion of the wine's value and worth, rather than language describing your experience and level of enjoyment.

Best,
-> Pinchas

What you point out is absolutely correct. So I think it's back to the drawing board for me. I will continue my quest for the perfect scoring system. Is there such a thing?
Come on over to read about my experience tasting wines produced in Israel at http://www.israelwinetaster.com
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:50 pm

2009 Har Bracha Cabernet Sauvignon
Well not as good as the Merlot which is in my top ten in the last 6 months.
Yet interesting and different enough to have me keep smelling and sipping thru Shabbos :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:44 am

Yehoshua Werth wrote:2009 Har Bracha Cabernet Sauvignon
Well not as good as the Merlot which is in my top ten in the last 6 months.
Yet interesting and different enough to have me keep smelling and sipping thru Shabbos :)

I know many people who liked the Har Bracha wines but personally I'm not so enthusiastic. Reminds me of when I first visited the Tura Winery whose vineyards are also in Har Bracha, I didn't hate the wine but I thought back then that they did have some potential beneath them and so far I think I was right, at least IMHO as I enjoyed very much their last releases. Bottom line, seems that Har Bracha winery is one to look after and see how they will grow, I'm looking forward to taste the next vintage for sure! :)
Previous