Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Wine Century Club: "How many varieties can we taste?"

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:13 pm

To mark its lucky seventh anniversary, The Wine Century Club is going back to basics, once again encouraging participants to see how many grape varieties we can collectively taste on one day. Hopefully today’s totals can beat our formidable record of 314 grape varieties collectively tasted.

Wherever you may be, please raise a glass on June 9th of the most obscure wine that you can get your hands on. And if at all possible please post a short note about the wine you had. It can be as simple as the name of the wine and its grape variety(ies). Post ‘em here, and post to the Wine Century Club blog:

» 7th Anniversary Giant International Tasting
http://www.winecentury.com/events/event ... l-tasting/
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Wine Century Club: "How many varieties can we taste?"

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:59 pm

Had I known that earlier I'd have opened a bottle of Barkan Assemblage Tzafit, with its blend of Marselan, Caladoc, Pinotage and Carignan. But I still managed to enjoy 4 varieties, with a Ventura Cabernet Sauvignon, a Lueria Rosso (Sangiovese/CabSauv/Barbera blend) and a Moscato (Muscat Alexandria). 8)
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Wine Century Club: "How many varieties can we taste?"

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:30 pm

Gaston Hochar 1996 Chateau Musar Bekaa Valley (Lebanon) Blanc ($30 in 2005)
Varieties: Merwah and Obaideh.

Clear, bright apricot color, no hint of haze or sediment. It looks a bit oxidative, and nutlike scents add to the impression, but its delicate, subtle scents of hazelnuts and toasted pecans, embraced in a slow dance with pears and dates. Discreet pecan flavors show, too, in the dry, appropriately acidic flavor, mouth-watering and food-friendly. Very unusual wine, demonstrating the conventional wisdom that Musar whites are best left for many years past the age at which you'd expect to consume them. I've had this very wine and vintage in its youth, and frankly, at that point I didn't quite get what all the yelling was about. Now I do. U.S. importer: Broadbent Selections Inc., San Francisco. (June 9, 2012)

Good with spicy asparagus and tofu stir-fry with Guilin chili sauce; even better with Sapori d'Italia Caciotta alle Noci, made-in-Kentucky Tuscan-style walnut goat cheese.