Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

More opportunities- Georgia's on my Mind

by Craig Winchell » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:34 pm

http://www.wineindustryinsight.com/RSS/ ... onal/76358

The Russian ban on wine imports from Georgia. That sure sounds like opportunity to me. I'll bet we could make kosher wine there for a song, and probably government subsidies to boot.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: More opportunities- Georgia's on my Mind

by Gabriel Geller » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:38 pm

Well Craig, there surely are plenty of opportunities out there wine-wise but Georgia? Really? Despite a 50-60 million bottles wine industry, Israel is already not so easy to sell even to the worldwide kosher market which sees competition growing regularly from France, Australia and the USA so just thinking about the many marketing/advertising expenses combined with the Georgian communist-reminiscent and certainly corrupted bureaucratic procedures that would be involved in such a project give me a headache... Now even a talented and experienced winemaker like you would need more than rock-solid nerves to be able to deal with the growers, real estate brokers etc. Now if you can find an investor willing to to handle those sides of the business I'd rather consider China over Georgia though the conditions are certainly not better there... :(
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

by Craig Winchell » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:25 pm

Gabriel, I was more thinknig of buying land cheap, establishing vineyards of quality, known varieties, building a winery, and still being able to undercut prices typically charged for kosher wine worldwide. Decent vin du table for $5.99 retail, which probably means putting out a product which will sell to importers for $24/case FOB winery. I think one could get a better quality product than Argentina's copackers will provide.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:42 pm

How are the quality of the present wines at the better places?
What is the Terrior like.
Cost VS. Chile?

Love be with you
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Alexander F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun May 02, 2010 7:44 am

Israel

by Alexander F » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:46 pm

Georgia has its own indigenous grape varieties. I tasted several semi-sweet wines imported to Israel and I agree with the banning of these wines . :)
Anyway, part of the wine is made dry. The most popular grapes are Rkatsiteli, Saperavi and Alexandrouli. Saperavi is the main red working horse.
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

by Craig Winchell » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:28 pm

The point is not what has been done in Georgia in the past (after all, it was a vassal of Russia for much of its recent history), or the weird and wonderful indigenous grape varieties, or the style of some of these, tradition being what it is. The point is that it's proven grape land and climate, an emerging market and production base which likely is a downright cheap place to set up a biz, and they'd probably be pleased to subsidize a good business plan in order to establish itself in the sector.

Yehoshua, Georgia is a ground floor opportunity. Chile is a mature producer at this point, with most of its land already bearing. Chile is not growing the way Argentina is. Argentina doesn't really appreciate US investment (although they love the US market), while Georgia does.