Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Alsatian Winery Visit

no avatar
User

Adam Peters

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Alsatian Winery Visit

by Adam Peters » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:31 am

Good morning Wine Folks,

My wife and I will be passing through Alsace-Lorraine from the 24th to the 26th of June. We very seldom have a chance to visit kosher wineries, living in Ottawa and all, so I was hoping someone here knew of a kosher winery in the Alsace region that may be open to visitors (perhaps Abarbanel?). I know it's not wine making season, but it would be nice to see the facility and learn more about the wine making process for my own home winemaking activities.

Thanks in advance!

Adam
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Alsatian Winery Visit

by Gabriel Geller » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi Adam,

There are indeed very few kosher wineries in Alsace unfortunately, actually most kosher french wines are made by non-kosher wineries in separate tanks over-watched by Kashrut organizations such as the Beth Din of Paris and the OU so visiting the facilities and tasting the kosher wines is rarely possible for the kosher drinker. One of the very few exceptions might be Vignobles David but that's in Cotes du Rhone which is quite far from Strasbourg/Metz. That said you may want to call Michel Grumbach who owns and runs a kosher catering in Strasbourg called Aux Mille Saveurs, perhaps he'll have more information: (+33) 88 32 44 62 / (+33) 06 80 00 52 81.

Wishing you a pleasant stay.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Adam Peters

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:54 pm

by Adam Peters » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:46 pm

Thanks Gabriel,

This was the response I suspected I would receive. Perhaps one day I'll find myself in a wine growing region during the harvest season, and be able to witness the production of kosher wine.

Adam
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:57 pm

Willm in Alsace made many Kosher offerings look it up. Not knowing if they still produce a Kosher version..

The Gewirtz is Solid and the Riesling is nothing to bok at :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines