Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Oaths & Journeys / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:16 am

bsd
At times one might promise themselves (or their spouse) they will take a vacation.Sometimes we might promise to go on some type of a diet.
These are promises made to help ourselves reach a little higher or get a little stronger.
And if we are higher and or stronger we can be better equipped to help those around us.
Have a good one; h
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

Re: Oaths & Journeys / WeeksEnd wine

by YoelA » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:06 pm

I try to keep my promises to myself. That way I only have to account to myself if I don't fully keep them. But I try not to be too hard on myself. This probably works for most if not all of us.

Tonight I am bringing a bottle of Don Ernesto 2010 Collage white (viognier/roussanne blend) to dinner.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:27 pm

Hi Harry, shavua tov,

I need a vacation. But I admit not having taken enough into account this matter when I decided to start my own business... Well, it is what it is....

Friday night:

Domaine Netofa, Latour White 2010: Made of 100% Chenin Blanc aged partially in french oak barrels, light straw, with on the nose citrus fruit, some oaky notes and daffodils, the palate on this medium to full-bodied wine features a slightly oily texture with citrus fruits such as lemon and yellow grapefruit, followed by notes of toasty oak and hints of mirabelle plums with a nice structure combining bright acidity and a tiny bit of tannins leading to a moderately long and elegant finish. This is an elegant white wine having in my opinion the potential to age for a few years if well stored, I'd give it 2 more years or so.

Teperberg, Silver Chardonnay 2010: In Switzerland we have an expression: Être déçu en bien. Literally this means "to be positively disappointed", in other words: to be pleasantly surprised. My experience with this wine is an excellent example as this pale gold Chardonnay oak-aged for 6 months BUT mevushal is not showing, at least not yet, any sign of its mevushal treatment. And Thank G'd for that! :) Full-bodied with on the nose ripe golden apples and citrus fruits along with toasty brioche from the oak, the palate is mouth-filling with a creamy structure reminding, YES! believe or not the Castel C, again apples, brioche and notes of butterscotch as well as a bit of lemon on the long finish. Well made and a QPR winner.

Barkan, Assemblage, Eitan 2008: One of the 3 wines in the big success that is the new Assemblage series by the Barkan Winery. A single vineyard blend of 45% Syrah, 40% Merlot and 15% Cabernet Sauvignon grown at Mount Eitan in the Judean Hills and aged for 12 months in mostly used french oak barrels. Dark, almost impenetrable garnet with on the nose blackcurrants, blackberries, a hint of raspberries and light notes of smoked wood. Full-bodied, the wine features on the palate also blackcurrants and blackberries with the raspberries not showing as much as on the nose but the toasty oak is clearly felt along with tar, dark chocolate and vanilla, bracing acidity and almost mouth-coating tannins on a long finish. Elegant and well crafted.

Shabbat lunch:

GHW, Gamla, Nebbiolo 2008: This is actually a single vineyard wine from the fame Odem vineyard known also as being the highest in Israel at 1200 meters above sea level. Dark ruby toward purple, almost full-bodied with on the nose cherries and blackcurrants as well as hints of wet dirt and freshly cut grass, on the palate sour cherries, black and red currants along with red plums and licorice, some notes of wet dirt with very nice minerality, bracing acidity with some earthy bitterness and still integrating tannins leading to a mouth-filling finish. This is a polished wine and I liked it even more than the 2009 which I also enjoyed a few months ago. This wine is, IMHO, clearly the best of the bunch in the Gamla series.

Wishing you all a good as possible week (no wine until next Friday night for me... :cry: ),

GG
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

Friday night: 2009 Livni, Pinot Noir. Better than the last time.

Shabbat lunch: 2008 Herzog, Alexander Valley, Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve. Very, very, nice. Never used to like the Alexander Valley CS, too much oak. But this was just right.

A good week to all,

Isaac
User

Daniel Kovnat

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:36 am

Israel

by Daniel Kovnat » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:01 am

Hi H,

Promises I make to myself as the day ends and the sun sets are so often forgotten in the light of tomorrow. And boy, that makes me depressed. And I mean even little things like writing that article for my israelwinetaster blog. There's nothing better than doing everything today and not putting it off until tomorrow.

Castel Rosé 2011 Many have written about this rosé and all agree that it is full of fruity aromas bursting forth as soon as you open the bottle. Fragrances of melon, bananas, and of orange blossoms. The complex tastes which are full in the mouth remind me of a fruit compote without all the sweetness. Drawback? Price. Oh well, it's Shabat :D

Dan Kovnat
Come on over to read about my experience tasting wines produced in Israel at http://www.israelwinetaster.com
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:28 am

Hi Harry,

Asif Red Chevlei Eretz 2008 - The blend in this wine is Bordeaulaise with 57% Merlot 26% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Petit Verdot and 5% Cabernet Franc. For those familiar with other similar Israeli blends, I would say that it is reminiscent of the Dalton Alma and the Flam Classico, albeit somewhat fruitier than both. Initially, the red and black berry fruit jumps out at you, exposing a significant gap in the mid-palate, but given ten minutes in the glass the additional layers fill out that gap. The first of those layers is that of rich espresso, the second is a medley of mediterranean herbs combined with some tobacco leaves. Its tannins are held in check, and its body is of medium wieght. Additional acidity would have been welcome, but the wine is nonetheless quite lively. 14.5% AbV. B-/**

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
no avatar
User

Stacey B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

by Stacey B » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:24 am

Alexander Merlot 2007- Rich and a real mouthful of black fruit and great tannin structure.
BR Cohn Trestle Glen Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 - We probably should have given it an hour as it was very tight.We started tasting after 30 minutes and as it opened we tasted many fruits including berries and cherries and oak as well as having an integrated tannin structure. Have several more bottles and will keep tasting every few months.
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:34 pm

Fri Night - BH Old Vine Zinfandel 2009, solid and a good value. In my mind the most consistent of the entry level BH's
Sat Lunch - Estrella Beer by Ferran Adria of El Bulli fame - very smooth and drinkable, with an interesting anise taste on the finish. As designed, a great food beer.
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:44 pm

Hi Harry.
Friday night - Gvaot Herodion Vineyards Dance 2008 - developing nicely with less fruit and more spices with a hint of chocolate at end
Shabbat lunch - opened wth a Cava Brut and followed with Yarden Katzrin Chardonnay 2008.
Shavua Tov.
Zvi
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:54 pm

I loved the Flam Rose so much last week that I opened my second and last bottle this Shabbos. Now I have to get some more and find the Castel Rose everyone is raving about. Does anyone know where I can get some???

'11 Flam Rose: A-/** Opens with red plums, vegetal, mineral mid-pallate, green finish with a kick (think lime zest, green grapes, and romaine lettuce). The lovely cabernet franc really shines through.
'10 Yatir Sauvignon Blanc: A-/** This is a very dependable SB year after year.
'10 Dalton Petite Sirah: B+/*** I understand why this wine is such a crowd pleaser: it is well rounded, inky black, with loads of vanilla, spice, and leather in the powerful nose. Very easy to drink and enjoy, but a bit heavy handed, overripe, and one dimensional for my taste. Still, it's undoubtedly delicious and very accessible.
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:31 pm

Vignobles David Côtes du Rhône Reserve 2010 - I had this with Duck Confit Spring Rolls and a 30 day 2.5 lb Prime Rib Steak. Very enjoyable, full bodied, very smooth mouth with notes of cherry and oak, a lot of spiciness, and the terroir comes through very strongly. The finish on the wine is long with strong notes of oak and coffee lingering on. The little that was left the next day was just as good. I had beer and whiskey with lunch - a homebrew clone of Brooklyn Monster Ale (we named it The Ogre) - superb - and Duncan Taylor NC2 Macallan 18 and DT NC2 Glenlivet 22 - enjoyed them both but liked the Glenlivet more.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:52 am

hi; had the herzog zinfandel 2008. jammy flavors nice body descent finish.h