Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

Re: Vision / WeeksEnd wine

by Jonathan K » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:51 am

Elie Poltorak wrote:I have to admit that, try as a I might, I can't ignore price when scoring wine. If this were a $20 wine I'd enjoy it much more and perhaps even score it an A-, but at $60, I feel like a sucker with every sip--not very enjoyable.

Amen to this. I also like Pinchas's scoring system because it allows you both to express whatever you actually think of a wine separate from the issue of QPR.
But I get very tired of the knee jerk response to a complaint of overpricing that QPR is after all subjective. Of course it is. And I am expressing my opinion on if a given wine competes with similar wines at similar prices. And sometimes it is pretty obvious.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:32 pm

Elie Poltorak wrote:3. I look forward to trying the 2010 Alma White. There are so few decent white blends in the kosher market. I too disliked the 2009, so I'm glad to hear the 2010 is better. As for the price, I don't know what the prices are in Israel, but here the Alma sells for about 1/4 of the RSR.
4. When you go to these festivals, if you meet anyone from Dalton, please convey everyone's deep disappointment in their decision to discontinue the viognier. :x Maybe if they keep hearing it, they'll get the message and bring it back!

The new Alma White is the 2011 vintage, it's the 2010 that I didn't like much. It sells in Israel for 60-70 NIS ($15-18) while the RSR sells for 150-170 NIS ($38-42).

Most the people pouring the wines at those events are young students employed by the big winery for the task and rarely have any basic wine knowledge but I'll ask and let's hope you're right and that they'll end up bringing back our beloved Viognier! :lol:
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:31 am

Gabriel Geller wrote:
Elie Poltorak wrote:3. I look forward to trying the 2010 Alma White. There are so few decent white blends in the kosher market. I too disliked the 2009, so I'm glad to hear the 2010 is better. As for the price, I don't know what the prices are in Israel, but here the Alma sells for about 1/4 of the RSR.
4. When you go to these festivals, if you meet anyone from Dalton, please convey everyone's deep disappointment in their decision to discontinue the viognier. :x Maybe if they keep hearing it, they'll get the message and bring it back!

The new Alma White is the 2011 vintage, it's the 2010 that I didn't like much. It sells in Israel for 60-70 NIS ($15-18) while the RSR sells for 150-170 NIS ($38-42).

Most the people pouring the wines at those events are young students employed by the big winery for the task and rarely have any basic wine knowledge but I'll ask and let's hope you're right and that they'll end up bringing back our beloved Viognier! :lol:

I must've been drunk when I wrote this. :oops: 2009 is of course the last year of the great viognier, while 2010 is when they @#$%ed up with the lackluster Alma White. I guess I'm glad to hear the 2011 is better but still no consolation for the viognier. On the bright side, I found 11 more bottles of the viognier online, so happy days are here again--at least 11 more happy days... :wink:
Previous