Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Elchonon Hellinger

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:39 am

Kinor David info and follow up..

by Elchonon Hellinger » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi All,
Ive teetered on the edges of wine and wine lovers for ages, i'm a old friend of Elie polterak which should explain a lot, my wine tastes cultured from drinking elie's wines ;)

As one living between the hills of judea and samaria and miami, my wine tastes are loyally in the hills of yehuda and shomron.

I'll talk about Kinor David here, I saw it was posted about but let me tell you in detail.

I have an apartment in kiryat arba, these wines are local to me, ive picked grapes, made wine in the fields in hebron, m neighbors are all in the wine business, on my last visit I called my friend menachem porter he works at hevron heights winnery / noah and makes his own wine in his celler.. (we should hear about him in the next few years) I told him I want to get some bottles of machpela, he says "come over!" so off we troop.. first we go to his stone cellar and taste wine in his plastic barrels (very very good for a novice!)

He tells me we are going to Kinor David... so we reach this small winery in kiryat arba industrial complex and we are met by David Edry.

David first tells us his name - Edry stands for Adoneinu - David - Roeh - Amo - Yisrael... Our master david Sheppard his nation of Israel. Edry is a direct descendant of king david. His grandfather and beyond, made wine in Morocco.

He told us, he has a very strict process, the grapes are only the finest, the winery is kept to laboratory clean not to let any thing interfere with taste, they sort the grapes and use only the best.

This was a while ago, and honestly by then I was a bit buzzed, but I think he told me its not stored in tanks / vats etc? I dont recall.

We go to the natural stone cellar tasting room, thus began the most amazing evening of my life.. he starts pulling out wines from the barrels right and left and we were in extract..

Then came the port.. 5 year aged port, 18%... from the minute I smelled it.. drank it.. and savored it... it was and is incredible!! the aroma, the taste.. its just outstanding...

Edry is an interesting guy.. he makes only 10,000 bottles of wine a year "because that is the blessing, if I get greedy I hurt the quality" and does not sell commercially.

Wine lovers would do well to visit him..

Info here: David Edry - 052-542-6741

kinordavidwinery@gmail.com
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Re: Kinor David info and follow up..

by Elie Poltorak » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:53 pm

Elchanan:
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your kind words. Thanks again for introducing me to Kinor David's AMAZING port. I look forward to sharing a bottle with you next time you make it up to NY or I to Florida--or better yet, when we meet up in the holy land.
Why don't you do a write-up of the tasting you hosted last night for Gush Etzion? I'm sure I'm not the only one here who wants to read about it...
no avatar
User

Elchonon Hellinger

Rank

Ultra geek

by Elchonon Hellinger » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Iyh, if not you'll get the port in november.

Wine tasting; I was everywhere drinking here and there and I need to follow up wine tasting at our shull tonight to put it in writing. I liked Lone Oak Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve and Blessed Valley, I did not drink the syrah or casb franc again because I had a lot in the last week and wanted to let it rest

Lone Oak Sauvignon Blanc was out-worldly for someone that avoids white wines.. we were amazed!

Kadesh barnea Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 was a surprise and very good, Desert Red 2009 was an interesting blend.

We did not have an aerator...
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Hey Elchonon - good to see you here! I am happy you enjoyed some of River's wines.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Big fan of Gush and Kadesh :)

Welcome and L'chaim with a smile
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Elchonon Hellinger

Rank

Ultra geek

by Elchonon Hellinger » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:05 pm

A big thank you to Yossie Horowitz for posting this link, I didnt even know they had a website http://kinordavidwinery.co.il/katalog.html

its been 9 months since I was there, still the taste of his earth shattering port lingers in m mouth.. its the stuff of legends I tell you... Run!