Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1247

Joined

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:35 am

b"sd
The amount of judgement calls we make in a day is staggering.
Affecting others.And sometimes or perhaps all the time affecting me.
Yes;we are judged by our Shadow of who we would like to be and who we are.
Have a good one; h
User avatar
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

879

Joined

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Andrew B » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Planning on revisiting some wines that were not at their best at last week's tasting, along with some others for good measure, including
2009 Herzog Rsv Chard
2005 Yarden BdB
2004 Yarden Merlot Ortal
User avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

816

Joined

Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:53 am

Location

Tel-Aviv, Israel

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by ChaimShraga » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:24 pm

An almost kosher wine.

I'm drinking my way through a selection of white wines from the Midbar Winery that Yaakov Or'yah was kind enough to send me to taste (yeah, I guess the implication is that I actually drank the wines I was supposed to taste - they were yummy, what can I say?).

I'll post the notes on my blog once I drink, uh taste, my way through the whole six-pack, but I must say I'm enchanted. A friend of mine nailed it when he told me he wasn't surprised by the honest, understated style, because he'd tasted and like Yaakov's wines before, but that he thought Yaakov exceeded his expectations as far as the actual results. I understand they'll be certifiably kosher in upcoming vintages and I hope you guys will appreciate them as much as I do.

Anyway...

White, 44, 2010

Let me sum up Yaakov's goal with this Gewurztraminer/Sauvignon Blanc/Chardonnay/Viognier/Semillon blend, as described in the winery's site (http://www.thesouthernwinery.com/): gain the intoxicating aromas of Gewurtz and fix its typical deficits on the palate by using the other varieties in the blend. And it works, for the most parts. The Gewurtz and Viognier battle it out on the nose, while the other three grapes, which are the more neutral aromatically, serve to tame them, so you get a somewhat less vocal version of the first's spicy lychee and rose petals, and of the second's luscious honey and flowers. On the palate, you get an echo of these two's hedonistic leanings, while the rest of the cast serves to fill in any holes and to lend structure where the two prima donnas prefer to coast. The label says this is off-dry, but it isn't any more off-dry than a Gruner Veltliner, the way it plays out on my palate, and that has to do with the great acidity once again, as well as with the tasty saline finish. Detailed analysis aside, I like this approach at utilizing Gewurztraminer and this is a very attractive package.

110 NIS. I can't make up my mind about the price. Objectively, it's on the high side, but when I consider how rare and hard it is to find a Gewurtz-based wine that makes good conversation before putting out...
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
User avatar
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Posts

1421

Joined

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Location

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi Harry and Shavua tov,

Friday night:

No wine (you read that right). Was hosted at my brother's, himself and his wife aren't exactly wine lovers, that's ok, they still have 3 weeks left to do teshuva... Grape juice for kiddush and some scotch back at home with Aberlour 10 and Lagavulin 16 as well as some Cognac, Dupuy XO.

Shabbat lunch:

Carmel, Appellation Petite Sirah 2007: My last bottle, the 3rd over the past 4 weeks.

Shavua tov,

GG
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

785

Joined

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

Location

NYC

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Adam M » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:59 pm

2010 Carmel kayoumi white dry Riesling
2004 Hagafen Prix Melange - I was expecting more for this wine given the high rating and price tag.i
It tasted slightly over the hill, which is disappointingly vein that I have had it in my cellar since I purchaed it a few years ago from the winery.
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

535

Joined

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Isaac Chavel » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:29 pm

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

2008 Yarden Pinot Noir. Available at a great price at our local store, so, of course, I tried it. Strange. I felt some alcoholic heat seemed out of balance. Underneath, it tasted delicious. My wife was fine with it, and she has a better palate. So it must be my hypersensitivity to the alcohol, and the season (yes, I notice this during the allergy seasons).

I had this sensation with the Galil pinot noir, years ago, discussed on the old thread --- some people picked it up, some just fine. Then I started to find it in the Yirons. Have yet to pick it up in the longer-cellared Yarden CS's. Question is: Buy one or two to put away, as an experiment? Or just pass and move on, there's other great wine out there. My wish for everyone this coming year is that their problems be exclusively of this character and magnitude. :)

A good week to all,

Isaac
Last edited by Isaac Chavel on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

640

Joined

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Location

Brooklyn, NY

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Pinchas L » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:33 am

Hi Harry,

Hagafen White Riesling Devoto Vineyard 2009 - The oily texture makes it interesting, the bracing acidity makes it refreshing and the exuberant fruit makes it great tasting. With 2% residual sugar this is technically a sweet wine, and with the brightness of the fruit turbocharging its effect, the wine can easily serve as an apertif or alongside dessert. With salads and a fish appetizer it was still okay, but then with foie gras it was a heavenly match. This was one of the rare food and wine pairings I've experienced that elevated both components to such a degree. The flavor profile is a combination of citrus and peach, with honeyed notes and petrol in the background. 12% AbV and $21 directly from the winery. B+/**

City Winery Syrah 2010 - Given to me by the assistant winemaker, it is still without a label, so that there is very little information I can share. The style is distinctly new world, with agressive oak, alcohol and extraction, resulting in a heady and dense wine. The fruit is sourced from a highly acclaimed vineyard, and its pedigree is readily noticed in the finished product. The wine is full bodied, with significant tannins that do not overshadow the fruit. I recall being told that the fermentation was whole cluster, and that in combination with the high alcohol level explains the bitter streak going through the wine. It is quite enjoyable. B/NA

Best,
-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

471

Joined

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Elie Poltorak » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:37 am

Shavua tov!
I continued working my way through the Recanati and Gush Etzion lineups this shabbos with pleasant results:

Receanti Rose 2010: B+/*** Stunning bright ruby-red coloring; very floral nose primarily of lilies; slightly sweet with strong notes of strawberry, and a long zesty finish. This is a real crowd pleaser even for those who aren't wine drinkers. Aside from the unique Flam rose (which is much more of a "serious" wine), I think this is the best classic rose in the kosher marketplace. You read that right--I like it much better than the Castel.

Gush Etzion Lone Oak (Alon Haboded) Sauvignon Blanc 2010: B-/** Very pleasant easy-drinking. Labeled as dry but I'd say it's definitely off-dry, yet the sweetness isn't cloying. very pale straw coloring; hay on the nose; this wine would be far better if it only had a bit more acidity to brighten it up.

Agur Kessem 2007: F This wine was undrinkable as it reeked of terpentine. The taste was rather oxidized even though it still isn't showing much brown. Beyond that there was heavy-handed oak. Very little fruit left. Unmitigated disaster.

Gush Etzion Cabernet Franc 2007: B /** This wine is definitely in drink-up mode. There's a distinctly vinegary nose that partially blows off after a few minutes in the glass. A bit of heat as well. Looking past that, the wine is well-structured, with nice black fruit, although not obviously a cab franc--i.e., the green notes don't jump out at you.

Yarden Odem Chardonnay 2009: B++/*** I know Rogov and others give the Odem Chardonnay long drinking windows, but personally, I like this wine far better when it's very young (unlike the Katzrin Chardonnay, which needs a good few years to allow the oak to settle down and continues improving 5-7 years past vintage). The wine is throwing sediment and the alcohol has become slightly hotter with age. Nevertheless, it has very appealing notes of honeydew, peaches, with a slightly honeyed nose with notes of hay. Of course there's the pears and distinct smokiness on the mid-palate. The 2010 vintage is now out and I look forward to trying it shortly.

Chateau Thenac Fleur du Perigord Bergerac Rouge 2010: B+/*** Once again, I was very impressed with this wine. Although it is mevushal according to even the most stringent opinions (i.e., boiled rather than flash pasteurized), it is completely undetectable in the wine. Takes a while to open with loads of plum on the nose. Bursting with red fruit and not fully integrated tannins. Excellent structure and balance. Very well made and a bargain to boot. This is now my go-to wine when I'm looking for something mevushal (i.e., when eating out or non-shomer shabbos guests).
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

471

Joined

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Elie Poltorak » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:56 am

Andrew Breskin wrote:Planning on revisiting some wines that were not at their best at last week's tasting, along with some others for good measure, including
2009 Herzog Rsv Chard
2005 Yarden BdB
2004 Yarden Merlot Ortal


Andrew:
How was the Ortal Merlot? David mentioned that a bottle he had was over the hill, which got me nervous, as I still have a few bottles. Should I drink up?
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

798

Joined

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

Location

NYC

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Yossie Horwitz » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:33 am

Carmel, Kayoumi, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2005
Castel, Rose, 2011
Golan Heights Winery, Yarden, Noble Semillion, 2003
Yiron, Syrah, 2004
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
no avatar
User

Gedalya P

Rank

Wine geek

Posts

90

Joined

Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:01 am

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Gedalya P » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:14 am

Kadesh Barnea Merlot 2010 was a pleasant surprise. The wines have new labels, new categories, and a much improved flavor. Kadesh Barnea is located on the Negev Heights just north of the Egyptian border. They have experimented with water sources since they began. This was an enjoyable Merlot with none of the brackish notes from the past. A very good buy at 59 shekels.

1848 Fifth Generation Syrah 2010 was one of the newly released wines from the fourth of the Shor Family wineries. The first releases were 128 and 228 shekels and still well worth the price. Fifth Generation wines are 75 shekels , and Second Generation wines are 59 shekels. I expect them to become best-sellers. This was a rich, delightful Syrah with a small addition of Merlot and Petite Syrah. Good value.
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Posts

86

Joined

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Steven B » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:29 am

jgpersky wrote:1848 Fifth Generation Syrah 2010 was one of the newly released wines from the fourth of the Shor Family wineries. The first releases were 128 and 228 shekels and still well worth the price. Fifth Generation wines are 75 shekels , and Second Generation wines are 59 shekels. I expect them to become best-sellers. This was a rich, delightful Syrah with a small addition of Merlot and Petite Syrah. Good value.

Does anyone know if and when these 1848 wines will be available in the U.S.? So far all I have seen from 1848 is the reserve Cabernet.
no avatar
User

Mike BG

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

280

Joined

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:25 pm

Location

Maale Adumim, Israel

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Mike BG » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:31 am

Psagot Edom blend 2009.

After reading review of this wine in the International Wine Review report on Israeli wines (mentioned here: http://kosherwinemusings.com/2012/08/21 ... -in-depth/) and noting that Rogov had also rather liked it, I took the risk and bought some. We all found it very pleasant, and will definitely be getting some more!
User avatar
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

2431

Joined

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Location

Bay Area, CA

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by David Raccah » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:18 pm

Yossie Horwitz wrote:Yiron, Syrah, 2004


Funny I had this week as well, to me far better than the 2004 Ortal - the Ortal Syrah is far too sweet and New World for my tastes and was least liked wine of the evening. REally liked the 2004 Yiron Syrah, the 2005 Yiron Syrah, but the best of the evening was the 2006 Meron.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User avatar
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

568

Joined

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Location

Monsey, New York USA

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:07 pm

2011 Terra Vega - Carmenere - Very much liked this .. Jalepeno Oil, hint smoke, Red berry fun quaffer...
2007 Gilgal - Cabernet Sauvignon - Holding well in the Drink up mode and a Nice Table cab with a little extra
2011 Don Mendoza - Malbec Reserve - A solid lighter fruit with cute nuances for the salad and antipasta

Love be with you
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User avatar
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

879

Joined

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Andrew B » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Elie Poltorak wrote:
Andrew Breskin wrote:Planning on revisiting some wines that were not at their best at last week's tasting, along with some others for good measure, including
2009 Herzog Rsv Chard
2005 Yarden BdB
2004 Yarden Merlot Ortal


Andrew:
How was the Ortal Merlot? David mentioned that a bottle he had was over the hill, which got me nervous, as I still have a few bottles. Should I drink up?


Elie, as I reached into the fridge to pull out the Ortal, I pulled out a bottle and opened it, noticing the cork was rather fresh for an 04, as I had opened one last week. Nevertheless, I decanted the entire bottle and took a whiff. I immediately grabbed the bottle and realized I had pulled out a bottle of 2007 Yarden El Rom! Certainly a pleasant surprise as I had been meaning to retaste it. Boy was it showing well! All black fruit with mint, tobacco, licorice, and a bit of smoke, with plush tannins and a good zip. Drinking well now and will certainly develop further in bottle.

The next day a very generous guest treated me to a bottle of 2009 Capcanes Peraj Ha'Abib, which I have never been able to taste, let alone see a bottle from this vintage. Very smooth and approachable with red fruits, herbs, graphite, and an intriguing flavor on the finish that I can't place but keep trying to figure out. Anyway, as has been mentioned many times here on this board, this vintage is a break from the more aggressive, chunky style. I do think it will get a bit softer and even more delicious in a year or two.

So much for my plans!
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

471

Joined

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Elie Poltorak » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:53 pm

Andrew Breskin wrote:
Elie Poltorak wrote:
Andrew Breskin wrote:Planning on revisiting some wines that were not at their best at last week's tasting, along with some others for good measure, including
2009 Herzog Rsv Chard
2005 Yarden BdB
2004 Yarden Merlot Ortal


Andrew:
How was the Ortal Merlot? David mentioned that a bottle he had was over the hill, which got me nervous, as I still have a few bottles. Should I drink up?


Elie, as I reached into the fridge to pull out the Ortal, I pulled out a bottle and opened it, noticing the cork was rather fresh for an 04, as I had opened one last week. Nevertheless, I decanted the entire bottle and took a whiff. I immediately grabbed the bottle and realized I had pulled out a bottle of 2007 Yarden El Rom! Certainly a pleasant surprise as I had been meaning to retaste it. Boy was it showing well! All black fruit with mint, tobacco, licorice, and a bit of smoke, with plush tannins and a good zip. Drinking well now and will certainly develop further in bottle.

The next day a very generous guest treated me to a bottle of 2009 Capcanes Peraj Ha'Abib, which I have never been able to taste, let alone see a bottle from this vintage. Very smooth and approachable with red fruits, herbs, graphite, and an intriguing flavor on the finish that I can't place but keep trying to figure out. Anyway, as has been mentioned many times here on this board, this vintage is a break from the more aggressive, chunky style. I do think it will get a bit softer and even more delicious in a year or two.

So much for my plans!


Wow, I LOVE the El Rom, but I think it needs roughly 10 years from vintage to come into its own. Last time I tasted the '04 it was still quite aggressive, so I'm holding on to what I have left. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get much of the '07 :(
So you had a bottle of the '04 Ortal Merlot recently? How was it?
User avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1003

Joined

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Craig Winchell » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:54 am

I had a bottle of my 2010 Agua Dulce Cab, pulled for Shavuos from barrel. Unimpressive at this point, and somewhat unpalatable due to a weird and unendearing solvent component (not acetic or ethyl acetate or iso-amyl acetate or any of a number of other esters and solvents) that I can only express as an oaky note from the new American oak cooperage, but which I have never tasted before. The wine is clean except for that component, and by day 2, it was almost gone. The wine itself, from cooperage, is free of that component, so it expressed itself in bottle. Interesting, but as I say, unendearing. This was wine siphoned into a bucket, then siphoned into bottles, and was as far from a commercial bottle as they come, so I have no worries as to the eventual commercial bottling (should it ever see the light of day).

Or, it could just be an artifact. I'm sitting here getting IV antibiotics, with a chest tube slung about my waist draining bodily fluids from between my pleura, so who knows whether it is an interaction with anything I'm taking?
User avatar
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

879

Joined

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Andrew B » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:20 am

Craig Winchell wrote: I'm sitting here getting IV antibiotics, with a chest tube slung about my waist draining bodily fluids from between my pleura, so who knows whether it is an interaction with anything I'm taking?


Oy vey! Feel better soon!
User avatar
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

879

Joined

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Andrew B » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:21 am

Elie Poltorak wrote:
So you had a bottle of the '04 Ortal Merlot recently? How was it?


I had the same problematic bottle as David two weeks ago.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

471

Joined

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Elie Poltorak » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:18 am

Craig:
Refua shleima!
User avatar
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Posts

1421

Joined

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Location

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:35 am

Elie Poltorak wrote:Craig:
Refua shleima!

I second that. Be well Craig.
User avatar
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

568

Joined

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Location

Monsey, New York USA

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by Yehoshua Werth » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:07 pm

Craig Winchell wrote:I had a bottle of my 2010 Agua Dulce Cab, pulled for Shavuos from barrel. Unimpressive at this point, and somewhat unpalatable due to a weird and unendearing solvent component (not acetic or ethyl acetate or iso-amyl acetate or any of a number of other esters and solvents) that I can only express as an oaky note from the new American oak cooperage, but which I have never tasted before. The wine is clean except for that component, and by day 2, it was almost gone. The wine itself, from cooperage, is free of that component, so it expressed itself in bottle. Interesting, but as I say, unendearing. This was wine siphoned into a bucket, then siphoned into bottles, and was as far from a commercial bottle as they come, so I have no worries as to the eventual commercial bottling (should it ever see the light of day).

Or, it could just be an artifact. I'm sitting here getting IV antibiotics, with a chest tube slung about my waist draining bodily fluids from between my pleura, so who knows whether it is an interaction with anything I'm taking?


REFUAH SHLEMA Craig and may you and your wine be at peak performance NOW!
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

224

Joined

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: You be the Judge / WeeksEnd wine

by gaston k » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Fri Night - Affligem Tripel. Beer heaven, though looking forward to a reuniting with my wines after a summer on the Jersey shore.
Sat Lunch - Gamla Sangiovese, good with spaghetti bolognese, and a small bottle of Duvel. Having expanded my exposure to other examples of European blond ales, the novelty of Duvel has worn off. But its still good.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign