Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

A NYC Wine & Food Pairing Feast Designed Just for Forumites

by Adam M » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:33 pm

It is with great pleasure that I announce the details of a pre-holiday kosher wine and food pairing feast in NYC on Monday evening, September 10.

The event will take place at The Millesime Lounge in the Carlton Hotel, located on Madison Avenue b/n 28th and 29th street. (http://ny.eater.com/tags/salon-millesime) The event will take place from 7:30pm-10:30pm. Ticket price is $100pp and attendance will be strictly limited to only 150 people. Advance reservations are required and there will be no ability to purchase a ticket at the door. Tickets can be purchased through the following link http://www.nellyslist.com/wine.htm

I have organized this event with the help of a number of people who are very skilled at what they do and according to a vision that is right up the alley of this forum and is unique to other kosher wine and food events that have taken place around the area.

This event will occupy the entire Millesime Lounge, which can easily hold well over 300 people. Capping attendance at 150 people will ensure a comfortable atmosphere that is not overcrowded.

The 67 Wine store in Manhattan will be sponsoring ½ of the cost of the venue and will be supplying a ready-to-use crystal wine glass to each guest. They will also be providing a discounted price sheet of all wines poured so that guests may place orders on the spot for their holiday or collection needs. In addition, 67 Wine has the rights to sell the large collection of vintage wines (many of which were put up for auction at the Kastenbaum auction) and many of these wines will be present (not poured) at the tasting and for sale. In exchange for this, 67 Wine (and Seth Weiser, who manages the kosher wine efforts) will be the event “sponsor.” The assignment of a sponsor allows for less of the ticket price to be applied towards venue and more towards the food!

Nelly Rosenking, who has made a name for herself as a first class kosher event planning coordinator, will be coordinating the logistics of the event. This should ensure a special touch of class and smoothness that will no doubt justify the $100 ticket price.

Now, to the substance!

THE WINE

This 3-hour experience will bring together 6 of the major kosher wine distributors in the NYC area: Royal Wines, Yarden, Allied Wines, Recanati, Happy Hearts and The River. These distributors will be supplying sample bottles of b/n 50-70 ISRAELI wines that Isaac C, Pinchas L and I (all long-standing and avid members of this forum) have carefully selected. We have selected only those wines from each distributor that we have personally enjoyed and would buy for ourselves as either daily quaffers or Shabbat or holiday trophies. The following is a very tentative list of wineries that will be represented. The final list should be cemented within the next couple of weeks and I shall update this post accordingly:

ROYAL

Castel (we have asked for representation of this winery but it is unclear whether the winery will capitulate), Yatir, Carmel, Alexander, Shiloh, Barkan, Domaine Netofa, Psagot, Segal's, Tzuba

YARDEN
The regular Yarden series and Galil Mountain

ALLIED
Dalton, Gvaot, Tabor , Teperberg. and Saslove

THE RIVER
Gush Etzion and Kadesh Barnea 

HAPPY HEARTS
Bravdo , Odem, Hevron Heights

RECANATI

THE FOOD
We have retained the services of Sova catering, which is under the supervision of the VAAD of Riverdale. We have very carefully designed a tasting menu that includes 7 different hor doeuvers (to be passed), 5 different types of fish (including, upon special request from Isaac C, 2 different types of ceviche), 8-9 different types of meats, 4-5 veggie selections an array of 4-6 types of salads and some very special desserts. A special thanks to Isaac C for his very valuable contribution to the menu. Active forumites will appreciate Isaac’s love for food, and he contributed a meaningful amount of time toiling with the menu.

THE SETUP
One unique aspect of the event will be that the wine and food will be presented together on the same tables. So guests will be able to conveniently experience the pairing synergies by tasting the food and wine together in the same spot and being able to alternate between wines and foods without having to schlep across the room and struggle to get back in the front of a table. In order to respect the integrity and independence of the distributors, the wines will be categorized according to distributor rather than varietal (which would obviously be ideal). But I think it will still work out to be very nice.

Guests will be able to either engage in discussion with the wine distributors (or with one of the sommeliers that we are hoping to include and float at the event; anyone with ideas please PM me) regarding how to maximize the synergistic value of food pairing with the selected wines. Or, guests can simply relax and enjoy the very fashionable ambiance as well as the quality wine and food experience.

I am hoping that all NYC forumites will arrange to attend this event . As I mentioned, this event was designed with you in mind, so I will do all I can to make sure that you and you significant other (if applicable) have a spot. I would highly recommend purchasing your ticket(s) ASAP as the event has been blasted through numerous media outlets and will likely reach 5000-7000 people in the next week or so.

I would like to re-emphasize that I have absolutely zero (nada) financial or other interest in this event. My involvement (as well as that of Isaac C and Pinchas L) is purely motivated by my interest in wine and food and of spreading the joy and elevating the kosher wine world.
Attachments
FLYER.JPG
(386.67 KiB) Downloaded 6331 times
Last edited by Adam M on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

Re: A NYC Wine & Food Pairing Feast Designed Just for Forumites

by Adam M » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:57 pm

just updated the invite to reflect the final version. Shabbat Shalom...
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by Adam M » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:38 am

Updating this wine list to include the newly released kosher version of the Saslove wines, which will consist of: the following from the "Aviv" series:

Merlot
Cabernet Sauvignon
Shiraz
Marriage (blend)
April (blend)

It is my understanding that the Aviv series is the only kosher series that is being released to the US. They are expected to arrive next week.
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by Adam M » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Updating the wine list to include wines from the Shirah Wine Co winery (including Power to the People) on the west coast, which are distributed by The River.
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:51 pm

Looking forward to this event, I think it is going to be a great evening!
no avatar
User

Samuel A

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:29 pm

by Samuel A » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:53 am

This sounds amazing. It would be great to meet other forumites. Perhaps we can arrange to all meet? Anyone else planning to attend? I am happy to coordinate.
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by Adam M » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:24 pm

A Facebook page has been created for the event www.facebook.com/events/271929552918434
no avatar
User

Elchonon Hellinger

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:39 am

by Elchonon Hellinger » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:33 am

Maybeeeee i'll make it, trying to get my brother to drive up.. maybe i'll fly in..
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:20 am

Elchonon, I will be attending, God willing and it would be great to see you! I am looking forward to this event - it looks a lot like the Gotham event, which I praise every year, and this could well become another all-star like it. Again, holding judgement till that time. However, given the wines being poured and the folks involved - I hope to see you all there and look forward to tasting a whole bunch of wine!

You guys up to dinner afterwards - like after the Gotham event, earlier this year?
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:41 am

There's the Kosher Wine Society event as well on September 6th.
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:47 am

David - excited to hear you are coming but don't worry, you will not need dinner afterwards - Adam and I put together a very extensive menu so you will have a full dinner at the tasting. Just to name a few of the items that will be served - A carving station with a selection of meats, sliders, seared tuna, ceviche, merguez, spring rolls, miso glazed steak skewers, mini steak sandwiches, mini reubens, and a whole lot more!
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:24 pm

Isaac! You and Todd Aarons both are consorting together to make my job of tasting wines - very difficult! :lol:

Sounds great!
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:21 pm

This sounds like a well thought out evening and .. Well might have to nudge the boss to go;)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:32 pm

Events like this make me wish I lived in New York. Not many evenings like this in SC.
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:38 am

I will be at this event and the Kosher Wine Society one as well. Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

by Andrew B » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:42 am

Happy to announce that I will be on hand to represent Domaine Roses Camille. Looking forward to seeing everyone!
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:47 am

Man this thing is heating up! The KWS will be pouring some of the more obscure Brob wines, Shirah will be represented with the NYC Wine and Food pairing, and now DRC! Way to go! Not to mention a TON of new Israeli vintages at BOTH!

Look forward to seeing the gang, but no talking till after the event - as the saying goes; so much wine so little time - :lol:

David
User

Menachem S

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 am

by Menachem S » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:55 am

I am looking forward to this - any final word on the wines that will be poured?

Exact list?

Thanks
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by Adam M » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:40 am

Hi Menachem - We hope to have an exact list by tomorrow, which I shall promptly post.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:14 pm

This is going to be exciting! Looking forward to seeing you all..
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by Adam M » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:42 pm

The following is a very raw list of wines that we expect to pour this Monday night (which should well-exceed 120 wines, about double what we had initially indicated (chalk it up to my math skills). We are still working a final list of Dalton wines, which I will update. There are a lot of surprises here!

Domaine Du Castel
Petite Castel 2009
"C" Blanc du Castel 2010
Grand Vin 2009

Yatir
Red Blend 2007
Cabernet Sauvignon 2009
Forest 2009

Carmel
Moscato Di Carmel 2010
Appellation
Cabernet/Shiraz 2009
Cabernet Franc 2009
Single Vineyard
Sha'al Merlot 2009
Sha'al Gewurztraminer 2007
Kayoumi Shiraz 2009
Kayoumi Cabernet Sauvignon 2009
Kayoumi White Reisling 2010

Alexander
Reserve Syrah 2009
Reserve Merlot 2009
Alexander the Great 2007

Shiloh
Legend 2009
Mosaic 2006
Barbera 2009
Mor 2009

Barkan
Reserve
Chardonnay 2010
Merlot 2009
Altitude
412 Cabernet Sauvignon 2007
Superieur
Merlot 2007
Pinotage 2007

Binyamina
Special Reserve
Unoaked Chardonnay 2011
Sauvignon Blanc 2011
Carignan 2010
Late Harvest Gewurztraminer 2009
Choshen
Ruby Syrah 2007
Diamond Red Blend 2007

Domaine Netofa
Netofa Red 2010
Netofa White 2010
Latour Netofa 2010

Psagot
Chardonnay 2011
Pratt NV
Shiraz 2010
Cabernet Franc 2010

Segal's
Single Vineyards
Dovev Merlot 2006
Dovev Argaman 2006

Tzuba
Cabernet Sauvignon 2009
Merlot 2007
Metsudah Red Blend 2007

Recanati
Special Reserve (both red and white) Red 2007, White 2010
Wild Carignan Reserve 2010
Reserve Syrah Viognier 2010
Reserve Petit Syrah Zinfandel 2010
Reserve Merlot 2009
Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2009

YARDEN (NB: We are expecting a special visit from Udi Kadim, the CEO of the GHW)
2008 Katrin (red) - just released in Israel; won't be int he US for another few weeks
Odem Merlot 2007
Kela Merlot 2006
Avital Syrah 2007
Cabernet 2008/9
Merlot 2008/9
Merlot magnum 2001
Syrah 2009
T2 2008
Heights wine 2008
Chardonnay 2010

GALIL MOUNTAIN
Yiron 2008/9
Meron 2008/9
Cab/Shiraz 2009

THE RIVER
Gush Etzion
Sauv Blanc
Spring River Cab/Merlot
Cab reserve
Cab franc Reserve
Syrah Reserve
Blessed Valley

Shirah
Power to the people
Coalition
Counterpunch
Bro-Deux (New – did not hit the market yet)

Kadesh Barnea
Red Desert

Happy Hearts
Bravdo:
Cab ‘10
Shiraz ‘10
Coupage ‘09
Chardonnay ‘11

Odem
Volcanic:
Cab/Merlot ‘07
Cab ‘09
Merlot ‘09
Shiraz ‘09
Reserve
Cab ‘09
Merlot ‘07
Shiraz ‘09
Odem Mountain Limited ‘07
Scarlet Port ‘07

Hevron Heights
Judean Heights
Cabernet Sauvignon ‘07
Merlot ‘07
Cabernet Shiraz ‘07
Chardonnay ‘07
Tempranillo ‘07
Isaac's Ram Cabernet ‘07
Pardess Merlot ‘07
Jerusalem Heights Cab Merlot ‘07
Elone Mamre Chardonnay ‘10

SASLOVE
SASLOVE APRIL
SASLOVE AVIV MERLOT
SASLOVE AVIV CABERNET SAUVIGNON
SASLOVE AVIV SHIRAZ
SASLOVE AVIV MARRIAGE

GVAOT HERODION CABERNET SAUVIGNON
GVAOT HERODION MERLOT
GVAOT HERODION VINEYARD DANCE
GVAOT GOFNA PINOT NOIR

TEPERBERG
Meritage,
Reserve cab,
Reserve merlot,
Terra Malbec,
Terra Gewurtz,
Terra Sauv Blanc
Nevel Port (making its debut)

DALTON - to be updated soon (expect a full showing)

006 Domaine Roses Camille, Pomerol - to be poured by Andrew Breskin,
Last edited by Adam M on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:09 pm

Looks amazing..

Serving Shmittah wines.. Hmm

Any other thoughts on this Forum?
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:04 pm

Outstanding list, I'm VERY IMPRESSED. :D Wish so much I could attend. :cry: Kudos guys :!: Looking forward to the zilion TNs, I count on it! :wink:
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Great list. When you list two vintages (8/9) - is that both or one or the other, TBD? Missing vintages (i.e Gush Etzion, Teperberg & Gvaot)?

Also, with 150 people coming (are you guys still sticking to that number), I just hope all the wines will be available (like they are at KFWE) and the special/limited wines (like the Katzrin 08, Gvaot Pinot Noir and Wild Carignan) won't just be for a "select" few...
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Next