Israel in Decanter Mag

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Israel in Decanter Mag

Postby Gary J » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:26 am

http://www.decanter.com/magazine/back-i ... ember-2012

The link doesn't take you through to the article...I think you have to be a subscriber to see the full article. The article itself is complimentary, though not revolutionary for those of us following Israeli wine. But I did find one tidbit of particular interest. There is a sidebar talking about Dr Shivi Drori of Gvaot Winery who is doing work on native varietals. He indicates that he (they?) have discovered ancient varietals, of which 3 red & 1 white appear to be "very good candidates for making good wine". I had heard from an industry friend that there is work taking place with ancient varietals, and many believe that a true ancient & indigenous varietal might truly help put Israel on the radar of wine lovers the world round.

Only time will tell what plays out here, but as someone who is always seeking out something unique & good, this is certainly positive news to be reading about (albeit very premature as I currently understand).
Wine Tasting Guy
http://winetastingguy.com/
Gary J
Ultra geek

Re: Israel in Decanter Mag

Postby Pinchas L » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:16 am

Hi Gary,

Please keep in mind that something unique is not always good. In the hands of the right marketer it is just fodder for the next fad. :mrgreen: :lol:
Then you'll have those who'll be marketing it together with the Keren Kayemet, selling us a chance to plant vines of indegious grapes in the land of Israel, and providing a must drink wine for all lovers of Israel. It'll probably prove our link to the land, too. :lol:

-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum