Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Visit at Tzora Vineyards and TNs

by Gabriel Geller » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:31 pm

Hey there,

Just back from a short yet very nice visit at Tzora winery with forumite Stacey B, her husband and son. Winemaker Eran Pick welcomed us and we had quite a nice tasting and chat with Eran.

Following are my notes for the wines we tasted:

Tzora, Neve Ilan Blanc 2011: 100% Chardonnay, 2/3 of which aged 9 months 'sur-lies' in French oak barrels, the rest in stainless steel (thanks Stacey). Pale straw with on the nose ripe apples and fresh toasted bread as well as lemon peel, medium to full-bodied with on the palate creamy apple, citrus fruit, melon and nice minerals with notes of lemon curd on the long finish. Great balance here between the oak and the fruit, reminded me a lot of the 2010 Covenant Chardonnay.

Tzora, Shoresh 2010: Excellent as always, didn't take notes as nothing else to add from my previous tasting 3 months ago.

Tzora, Misty Hills 2009: 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 45% Syrah all grown in the same plot making this wine a single vineyard one, and aged for 18 months in French oak barrels. This is what I call an old world style wine made out of a new world kind of blend. Bright purple in color, showing on the nose cassis, dried strawberries and earthy notes all wrapped in a light veil of smoke. Full bodied with on the palate cassis and stawberries again along with notes of blackberries, graphite, nice minerals and bracing acid with spicy licorice showing with mouth-drying tannins rising on the long finish. Complex and still quite youthfull, will certainly age well.

Tzora, OR 2011: 100% Late harvested then frozen if I got that right Gewurztraminer, again single vineyard from the winery's Shoresh vineyard. Bright gold with on the nose honeyed mangoes, tons of ripe apricots and honeysuckle. Medium to full-bodied with on the palate dried apricots, caramelized pears, pineapples, mango, candied citrus and lychees and with hints of spice on the long finish. Gorgeous. Treated myself... :wink:

Best,

GG
Last edited by Gabriel Geller on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

Re: Visit at Tzora Vineyards and TNs

by Pinchas L » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:52 pm

Gabe,

Has Eran shared with you the winery's future plans? I've heard that they produced an oak aged Sauvignon Blanc in 2012, and I wonder when it will be released? I've also heard that there will be no more Neve Ilan Blanc, because the vineyard was ravaged by disease; however, there will still be a Chardonnay, thanks to a new plot in the Shoresh vineyard coming on line, just in time. Generally speaking, they have many new vineyards coming on line over the next couple of years, but I haven't heard whether or not they intend on producing new wines, or selling the crop to others.

Best,
-> Pinchas
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:58 pm

Pinchas L wrote:Gabe,

Has Eran shared with you the winery's future plans? I've heard that they produced an oak aged Sauvignon Blanc in 2012, and I wonder when it will be released? I've also heard that there will be no more Neve Ilan Blanc, because the vineyard was ravaged by disease; however, there will still be a Chardonnay, thanks to a new plot in the Shoresh vineyard coming on line, just in time. Generally speaking, they have many new vineyards coming on line over the next couple of years, but I haven't heard whether or not they intend on producing new wines, or selling the crop to others.

Best,
-> Pinchas

Unfortunately we got there quite late (4.30 pm or so) and Eran was in a bit of a hurry thereby we didn't have as much time as I'd have liked to discuss all the topics. Hopefully I'll go back for a more extensive visit and chat in a not-so distant future, perhaps in March with Yossie.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:48 am

I would just like to follow up my previous post by saying that during a recent discussion I had with the staff at Tzora I've learned that the '12 and--probably--the '13 releases of their Chardonnay will still be produced from fruit sourced from the Neve Ilan vineyard. The disease that is afflicting the plot hasn't, at least for now, hurt the Chardonnay vines.

-> Pinchas