Yatir Winery - a top Israeli and consistent winery

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Yatir Winery - a top Israeli and consistent winery

Postby David Raccah » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:14 pm

Yatir winery was another winery I visited and tasted through the non 2008 wines and really enjoyed them all. By far one of the mos consistent and reliable wineries in Israel - though a bit expensive. To me their quality supports their price.

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/01/30 ... in-israel/

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Re: Yatir Winery - a top Israeli and consistent winery

Postby Yakov F » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:36 pm

I read your noted David and while you may be more excited about it than me I tasted the Petite Verdot 09 at the Jerusalem Festival the other night and enjoyed it. I tasted the 08 last year at the same festival and did not like it - too astringent. (Some liked it a lot.) I brought this up to the wine rep from the winery and he explained that the winery had a similar sense about the 08 which was 100% varietal so they added 15% merlot for the 09 to soften it and in my opinion it worked well.
Yakov F
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:17 pm

Cool Yakov thanks! The gang of Finland guy-trip wine lovers - LOVED the 2008 and though the 2009 was more subdued - LOL!!! Either way, the entire line is solid and that is what makes this winery so unique.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:56 pm

Personally I liked the 2008 which was a more powerful yet controlled wine that was special. The 2009 is excellent but in "taming" the PV, some of the uniqueness of the wine got lost. I think the 2009 is a delicious, well made & elegant wine, just not as unique as the 08.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Bill Coleman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:57 pm

Yossie Horwitz wrote:Personally I liked the 2008 which was a more powerful yet controlled wine that was special. The 2009 is excellent but in "taming" the PV, some of the uniqueness of the wine got lost. I think the 2009 is a delicious, well made & elegant wine, just not as unique as the 08.

I've tasted the 2007 and 2009 Forest and, while both are indeed well-made, neither one particularly jumped out at me. I strongly prefer any number of reds at one-third to one-half the price. Heck, Yatir's price point is 35-50% above Castel and Covenant! I don't see how to justify buying it.
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Postby lewis.pasco » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:39 am

Both the 2008 and 2009 Yatir Petit Verdots are excellent wine, and if I may relay Eran Goldwasser's comment directly about the two when Isaac and I tasted both at the winery last week he felt the main difference was allowing the PV to hang longer in the vineyard in 2009. He suggested softening the tannins and allowing the PV to more fully express it's special character as 2 reasons for the later harvest. The bit about 15% Merlot is interesting too, both Isaac and I felt the 2009 had "more going on" in it, but it certainly will be interesting to cellar both and see how they develop with 5 more years in the bottle. I don't recall Eran mentioning the Merlot in the 2009 - but that could be my recall failing - Isaac?

Regarding the price point of Ya'ar Yatir - it's typically subjective whether or not a very highly priced wine and very good wine is "worth the money." I can't speak about Covenant since I haven't tasted it yet (are you listening, Jeff Morgan?) and haven't had a Castel Grand Vin in a while either, but the Yaar Yatir shows every bit of ability to age beautifully along the lines of Yarden's best Cabernets and Katzrin Adoms, so one might think that comes with a price tag. It wouldn't surprise me if the Yatir top wines age as well, or even better, than any other red Kosher wines being produced today. Something to consider?
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
lewis.pasco
Ultra geek

Postby Alan L » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:13 am

Does anyone know if anything more recent than the 2009 Viognier has hit the US? I've seen some references on the threads about a 2011 and 2013, which were, presumably, released in Israel. I e-mailed Royal Wine Corp., but haven't heard back yet.
Alan L
Cellar rat

Postby Alan L » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:50 am

Alan L wrote:Does anyone know if anything more recent than the 2009 Viognier has hit the US? I've seen some references on the threads about a 2011 and 2013, which were, presumably, released in Israel. I e-mailed Royal Wine Corp., but haven't heard back yet.

I received this response: "While Yatir still makes the viogner for sale in Israel, we no longer import it into the US."
Alan L
Cellar rat

Postby Gabriel Geller » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:23 pm

Yup. Looking forward to give a first try at the 13 Viognier over Rosh Hashana. I've liked the previous releases and with 2013 being considered by many including myself as Israel's best vintage ever for white wines (and a very good one for the reds as well) I'm quite excited. I'm also a huge fan of the 2013 Dalton Wild Yeast Viognier which I consider as the best Viognier I've tasted to date so will be interesting to see how the Yatir compares.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Alan L » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:41 am

Gabriel Geller wrote:Yup. Looking forward to give a first try at the 13 Viognier over Rosh Hashana. I've liked the previous releases and with 2013 being considered by many including myself as Israel's best vintage ever for white wines (and a very good one for the reds as well) I'm quite excited. I'm also a huge fan of the 2013 Dalton Wild Yeast Viognier which I consider as the best Viognier I've tasted to date so will be interesting to see how the Yatir compares.

I look forward to hearing your reviews (and being jealous that I can no longer get my hands on Yatir's Viognier). I still have one bottle of the 09, which has aged quite nicely.
Alan L
Cellar rat

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum