Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Portugal in Israel

no avatar
User

Danny S

Rank

Just got here

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:09 pm

London

Portugal in Israel

by Danny S » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:36 pm

What are peoples thought's the new releases of the Yarden 2T & the Netofa Tinto (both wines are made with the Portuguese grape style grown in Israel)

I recently tried both and was very happy with both, however saying that I felt the 2T had slightly more bite, than the Tinto (sorry netofa) however i would still enjoy a nice glass the tinto.

Go......
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Portugal in Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:45 pm

Danny, hi

Wait till you taste the '11 Netofa Tinto.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:56 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:Danny, hi

Wait till you taste the '11 Netofa Tinto.

Best,

GG

Danny,

And if you are still not satisfied, wait till you try the '12 Netofa Tinto, and the '13 Netofa Tinto.... :mrgreen:

-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

Danny S

Rank

Just got here

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:09 pm

London

by Danny S » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:32 pm

Hello

Very interesting, i have tried the tinto 11 I had tried a number of different wines that night as well that's the problem with KWFE, I am correct in saying that Israeli Wines are moving away from the Cab's & Merlot's and using different style's?
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:38 pm

Danny S wrote:Hello

Very interesting, i have tried the tinto 11 I had tried a number of different wines that night as well that's the problem with KWFE, I am correct in saying that Israeli Wines are moving away from the Cab's & Merlot's and using different style's?

I personally found both the '08 and '09 Yarden 2T to be still not so different style-wise from Yarden's usual (very fruit forward, oaky, very ripe an even sometimes overripe fruit) and thus too new world to really give a sense of a Douro-style wine. The Tinto does however a pretty good job at that (not that I have many points of comparison having had only the Casa del Douro wines to compare it with) and is significantly less expensive than the 2T.

To say that Israel is moving away from Cab & Merlot would be way exaggerated but they are definitely getting more adventurous and exploring the many different varieties and styles with which the local terroir and Mediterranean climate is better reflected. We shall see more and more blends and varietal wines with Carignan, Malbec, Petit Verdot, Mourvedre, Petite Sirah etc over the next coming years.

Best,

GG
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:48 am

So what did you pour for my daughter, Gabe? She said a Port and a blend, but she didn't remember the names. She told me that she really liked the Port, but although the blend was good, she's had better. Abby is just getting into the wonderful world of wine description. She doesn't have the vocabulary, but she knows qualitatively what she has had before.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:58 am

First of all Craig it was lovely to meet Abby. We had the 2010 Netofa Fine Ruby Port-style. Very nice indeed. Then we had '11 Gvaot Vineyard Dance a Bordeaux blend of mostly Cabernet and Merlot with some PV as well, 12 months barrel-aged. Not their best vintage, good acid but very soft tannins and ready for drinking.

She got a bottle of Binyamina Late Harvest Gewurz (she obviously misses yours) and I strongly insisted that she lets me know how she likes it compared with GAN EDEN's though she is biased of course.

Looking forward to meet you soon! We'll be in touch.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:39 am

The Tinto is AWESOME! T2 is nice but not on that level.
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:36 am

haven't tried the Tinto. But I've had a few bottles of the 2T and like it very much. I agree that it has a typical rich fruit-forward feel like many Yarden single vineyard. But the 2T has a unique character that I like a lot. While this wine is drinking very nicely now, my sense is that it will improve over the next year or so (maybe more...)
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Had the '09 2T over shabos and it really sucks. The '08 was much better.