Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Flying with wine

User

R Liberman

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:38 am

Flying with wine

by R Liberman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:54 pm

We're headed for vacation soon and will be bringing a case of wine with us on the airplane (checked baggage). Fortunately, I've already got a box with a styrofoam insert for 12 bottles of wine (thank you Four Gates). We're going some place warm, so the night before we leave I plan to cool the bottles down to just above freezing, then wrap each bottle in newspaper before sealing the box.

Because this is somewhat risky, we're not bringing our best stuff, but at least we'll have some kosher wine.

Does anybody have any other tips or advice on flying with wine?
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

Re: Flying with wine

by David Raccah » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:59 pm

The flight part of the concern is of no concern - the wine will be enclosed almost at all times, whether in an airplane where it is very cold or in the baggage holding - where it is not that hot. The REAL issue is travel shock and how you keep it after you get your bags. Leaving it in a hot car is sure death. If you are traveling locally - say NY to even CA - you should have little to no travel shock and be fine. Cross Atlantic does cause issues to some and not to others (palate wise), that is something you will have to work with.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

R Liberman

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:38 am

by R Liberman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Thanks, David. Immediately upon arrival, the wine will accompany us via taxi to our hotel where it will be refrigerated.

By the way, I really enjoy reading your blog.

Robert
User

Bill Coleman

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Chicago, Illinois

by Bill Coleman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:28 am

My two cents worth is, on wine runs, try and fly Southwest!