Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:41 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Big Shabbos coming up, wine wise...

by lewis.pasco » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:15 am

When I say "big" I mean big as in it's time to open my 5 liter Jeroboam of Recanati Special Reserve 2005. I had hoped to keep it until my older daughter's Bat Mitzvah next January, but the ullage in the bottle is too far down now to take the risk. It's traveled transatlantic (well make that trans mediteraanean, trans atlantic, and trans North America TWICE!, and been store in far from ideal conditions for 5 years now. It was a parting gift from Noam and the gang at Recanati Winery, it's a beautiful engraved/etched bottle too that I'll keep forever.

The ullage is about 1/4 of the way down the shoulder, at a point where I'd guess the circle of wine surface area exposed to air in the bottle (now that I have stood it upright for settling) is about 8 cm in diameter. The last 750 mL bottle I had that had been stored (and shipped back and forth) under identical conditions, about 7 months ago (and still in the neck) was in perfect condition, pretty much right at peak and showing a great deal of complexity, but at the same time plenty fruity. To my opinion, that last bottle was a better drink than a 2004 Katzrin Adom I drank at about the same time, (but I know little about the storage life of the Katzrin) which I found a bit too much like over-ripe stewed fruit, and a bit cooked.

I'm sorta praying that this big bottle hasn't gone the way of the oxidized, it had been showing a lower and lower fill level over time as I believe the wine seeped through or around the cork a bit.

I also pray it is not corked, which I think happens far more often in specialty over-sized corks... Though I don't have a statistically valid sample size of wines drank from double mags and larger bottles :? Not yet! :wink: anyway...

Anyone got a 5 liter decanter they can lend me for the weekend? Or 2-3 magnum (slightly over-sized if 2) decanters? Gabriel Geller? Anyone (here in Israel?)
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Big Shabbos coming up, wine wise...

by Gabriel Geller » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:55 am

Sorry Lewis, no heavy-sized decanter. I had the 2005 RSR 3 weeks ago from a regular bottle which I assume had been stored well and it was excellent so I wish you l'chaim!

GG
no avatar
User

Moshe F

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Queens, NY

by Moshe F » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:51 pm

Hey Lewis,

How was the wine?
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:41 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by lewis.pasco » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:07 pm

Moshe, well in the end our shabbos "dinner" was moved forward a bit to an afternoon affair with grilling. Didn't seem right to transport it an hour and then drink it on a typically warm afternoon. The opening was postponed for 2 weeks till we have family come to us for shabbos in our new home in Reut. It will stay upright and have plenty of time to settle clear.

Still have to figure out how to decant it... I'll start borrowing decanters from the neighbors I guess.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.