Reds and Whites Blended

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Reds and Whites Blended

Postby Gedalya P » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:05 pm

A customer came in today and mentioned that he had tasted a Cabernet Gewurtz blend somewhere up north. This is a small but interesting trend. Gvaot Chardonnay Cabernet Sauvignon and Dalton Alma Shiraz Mourvedre Viognier come to mind, and I like both of them. In fact, the Alma is a traditional Rhone style. What do other people think?
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
Gedalya P
Wine geek

Re: Reds and Whites Blended

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:11 pm

Does, say, less than 20% qualify as a blend, or is it just some finessed touch?
To make the query clearer, what about less than 10%?
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:14 pm

Indeed - not a fan of the Gvaot Cab/Chard - not logical. The SMV is way too small a percentage to really call a red/white blend.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:46 pm

Adding some 2-3% Viognier to Syrah is a classic method in the Rhone Valley to round out the wine and improve body and color. A number of Israeli wines in that category such as Recanati Mediterranean Reserve Syrah-Viognier, Binyamina Choshen Odem/Ruby Syrah. For California Shirah's Power to the People 2009 is a good example.

Now, in the case of the Gvaot Chardonnay-CabSav (80%-20%) it is a partially "blanc de noirs" wine as the CabSav was fermented without skin contact so that the wine will stay white as the color comes from the skin.

Other wines, such as Alexander's Sandro (odd blend of CabSav, Shiraz, Mourvedre, Sauvignon Blanc...) use white varieties in red wines and others, such as Kadesh Barnea with their white dry blend White Desert use some red varieties (Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Mourvedre without skin contact and their only wine that I find as palatable). Most do so as part of experimenting with sometimes interesting and good results and sometimes, not so successfully.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Elie Poltorak » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:08 am

Gabriel Geller wrote:Adding some 2-3% Viognier to Syrah is a classic method in the Rhone Valley to round out the wine and improve body and color. A number of Israeli wines in that category such as Recanati Mediterranean Reserve Syrah-Viognier, Binyamina Choshen Odem/Ruby Syrah. For California Shirah's Power to the People 2009 is a good example.

Now, in the case of the Gvaot Chardonnay-CabSav (80%-20%) it is a partially "blanc de noirs" wine as the CabSav was fermented without skin contact so that the wine will stay white as the color comes from the skin.

Other wines, such as Alexander's Sandro (odd blend of CabSav, Shiraz, Mourvedre, Sauvignon Blanc...) use white varieties in red wines and others, such as Kadesh Barnea with their white dry blend White Desert use some red varieties (Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Mourvedre without skin contact and their only wine that I find as palatable). Most do so as part of experimenting with sometimes interesting and good results and sometimes, not so successfully.

Best,

GG

KB palatable? Now that's an oxymoron. I think they are the absolute worst winery out there.
Re Gvaot cab/chard, I found the '10 really interesting and special--certainly not the most obvious blend but the result is quite unique. The '11 is afflicted with bananas and tropical fruit. Didn't like it.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum