Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Consolation / WeeksEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Consolation / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:50 am

bsd
Excuse the graphic example;if you're a person who showers or bathes every day,you appreciate it and perhaps enjoy it but up to a point.If you missed a day or even more so several days; the appreciation is going to be so much greater.The idea is obviously simplistic,however the application towards those things in life we take for granted is quite profound. Music ,wine ,laughter.So easy to enjoy.But to truely appreciate;alas that's something that takes much training.
Have a good one; h
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:41 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Consolation / WeeksEnd wine

by lewis.pasco » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:05 am

Hi Harry, Shabbat Shalom!

Having lots of family to our new place in Reut. Cracked the 2005 5 liter Jeroboam with the low fill. As expected there was a problem with the cork; it ahd totally soaked through and was so loose in the neck that it pushed in rather than allowed the corkscrew to penetrate and extract it. In any case the wine is great! Not a bit over the hill, but more mature than I might have hope for a 5 liter if the initial cork had been adequate and the bottle properly stored.

Well it's just excellent, with a solid whiff of green/black olives on the nose, pretty damn classic for my favorite expression of Cab Sauv whether it's from Napa, Bordeaux, Sassicaia (Tuscany) or Israel. Excellent acid balance, long, the oak is totally integrated (at times it seemed to me that maybe the 100% new French oak it got for 19 months was a hair over the top) and it's smooth as a baby's bottom.

My family really doesn't deserve it - oenophile wise. I hope the get it a little bit.

Good Shabbos, all.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
User

R Liberman

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:38 am

by R Liberman » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:50 pm

It's going to be a laid back Shabbat with just my wife and me so I doubt if I'll open up anything very special. Most likely we'll have a Galil Mountain Shabbat with a Cab tonight and perhaps a Viognier tomorrow for lunch.

Shabbat Shalom
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:22 pm

Hi Harry, shavua tov,

Quiet shabbat at home with also only one bottle this week for both meals.

Recanati, Mediterranean Reserve, Petite Sirah-Zinfandel 2010: More round and a bit lighter than the previous vintages, this one has some elegance. Dark, almost impenetrable royal purple with on the nose dark plums, ripe blueberries, cinnamon with touches of lavender and violets. Full-bodied with on the palate blueberries, sweet cedar, ripe black currants, a hint of date with plums and dark chocolate all in great balance with bracing acid and almost chewy tannins that rise and gently coat the mouth on the the long and round finish. I love it!

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:35 pm

We are here in Israel and had the true pleasure of purchasing a 2008 Yatir Petit Verdot, which i cant get back home, a 2011 Ella Valley Rose and a 2009 Ella Valley cab franc. All were delicious. I really enjoyed the flavor oft the PV.

Also, i found a wine store with a stash of fresh 05 Yiron. I plan to delete it in short order...
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:25 pm

Adam M wrote:We are here in Israel and had the true pleasure of purchasing a 2008 Yatir Petit Verdot, which i cant get back home, a 2011 Ella Valley Rose and a 2009 Ella Valley cab franc. All were delicious. I really enjoyed the flavor oft the PV.

Also, i found a wine store with a stash of fresh 05 Yiron. I plan to delete it in short order...

Hi Adam and barouch haba! May I ask where did you find the 05 Yiron and what was the price you were asked for it? As well, since you're here I highly recommend you try the 2008 Ella Valley CabSav.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:31 pm

Hi Gabriel - i am unfortunately not prepared to reveal my source until i successfully deplete the stash. The price was anout 160 NIS if i remember correctly. Best, adam
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:02 am

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

2012 Ella Valley Sauvignon Blanc (with 10% Semillon): Friday night the acidity popped out at you, the local acidity fans would have loved it! Flavor, aroma, ... everything you want. Shabbat AM the acidity settled down (which surprised me) and the wine was better integrated, to my taste. All the components were there --- but in greater harmony. Delicious.

Truth be told, I think my taste in SB had changed. I use to like it lean and mean (as they used to say), but the Midbar winery visit last February in which we tasted Ya'acov Oryah's 50-50 SB-Semillon was a revelation. I guess that one begins to value subtlety, harmony and elegance more highly than power as one ages. :)
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:36 am

1995 Louis Martini cabernet (Iast bottle)
no avatar
User

Gedalya P

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:01 am

by Gedalya P » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:51 am

The Gvaot Rose 2012 is unusual in that it is 98% Merlot and 2% Petite Verdot (Roses can be made from many different grapes and reflect the different flavors). It is luscious and gentle at the same time. Chilled with food, it is delightful.
The 1848 Reserve Chardonnay was a revelation. Chardonnay can be made in many different ways which affect its aromas and flavors. This wine uses the best grapes and ages them in barrels for 9 months "sur lies", meaning unfiltered (The yeast and other sediments stay in the barrel during aging). When done well, as in this case, the wine becomes aromatic and complex in flavor. It was an intriguing pleasure to drink.
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:54 am

Tabor cab franc / cab 2009. really enjoyed. full bodied .deep color. aromatic . chocoalte & spice . GGeller wrote a post a year ago calling it not complex. Perhaps bottle age graced this one. h
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:23 am

Hi Harry.
Friday morning breakfast and wine drinking at Gvaot Winery. In addition to having the opportunity to drink all of their current wines and some oldies, there was a barrel tasting of the 2011 Masada and thanks to Gabriel G., a barrel tasting of the 2012 Pinot Noir which has the potential of being the best wine ever produced by Gvaot.
Friday night - Midbar Viognier 2010.
Shabbat lunch - Bravdo Rose 2012.
Shavua Tov.
Zvi
no avatar
User

Shawn Johnson

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:28 pm

by Shawn Johnson » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:11 am

Was a bit under the weather this Shabbat so not much wine drinking.

Quevedo Port NV

Macallan 18

Gledfiddich masters edition sherry/oak cask selection

Good week to all
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:24 pm

Yarden Cabernet 2006 - AWESOME! Or as Dave would say, Filthy!. It was so flavorful, full bodied, fruity. Reminds me why I stock up on Yarden Cabs.
User

Bill Coleman

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Chicago, Illinois

by Bill Coleman » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:32 pm

Shabbat in Athens, Georgia:

Yarden Odem Chardonnay
Yarden Viognier 2009
Or Haganuz Merlot 2009
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:58 am

Heat wave in NY/NJ. went for whites and Roses. Not very satisfying however
2012- domain Natofa rose- I purchased a case because I read good reviews , however this case must have gone bad.
There is a oily film of residue floating around in the bottle. 3 bottles were awful.
2011- elvi invita, very lemony, crisp, a decent white , good qpr, not so interesting.
2011 dalton alma Chardonnay - viognier- a pleasant wine, Not sure if I can taste the viognier though.
2011- Gabrielle chardonnay - again not so interesting , but a decent qpr.
no avatar
User

Moshe F

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Queens, NY

by Moshe F » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:33 am

2003 Chateau Royaumont- Lalande De Pomerol. Drinking very nicely now.
2010 Brobdignagian Besomim. Nose was full of spice and dark fruit and a little dark chocolate. Was a very hot wine and the long finish was full of green olives and lots of cloves. Needed a long time before the heat came off.
2012 Capcanes Peraj Petita Rosat. Wasn't doing it for me...
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:00 pm

Moshe F - The Rosat is nice but lacks the bracing acid I expect in Rose.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:10 am

Hi Harry,

Elvi Vina Encina 2007
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi Harry,

Tzora Neve Ilan Blan 2009 - Its fruit profile betrays its pedigree, telegraphing its lineage to be tropical. Past bottles have not displayed such an overt tropical profile as this one. The first impression isn't stellar, with the alcoholic heat exacerbating a sense that the wine is meandering without focus. However, with some time, it regains focus, especially when drunk in smaller sips. Then, surprisingly, an additional dimension reveals itself. Once the subtlety of the oak influence interacts with the fruit, hints of vanilla and maple are felt, making the wine much more interesting than at first. The wine has a medium body, expanding the range of foods with which it pairs well. I enjoyed it with salads, and even more with chicken. 14% AbV. B-/**/Y

Makom Carignan 2011 (by Jonathan Hajdu) - This wine met my expectations. While not a complex wine, it possesses an abundance of lively dense fruit: raspberry, cherry and cassis. Alongside the fruit are some soft tannins, coupled by hints of oak-infused chocolate. Overall, the wine doesn't come across as too fruity and flighty, because its fruit is tamed by the oak and some underlying shades of bitterness, as well as by a weightiness that does not convey a sense of jam, but rather a sense of gravitas. 14% AbV. B/**/Y

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:33 am

Enjoyed some 16 or so wines and what a joy they were:

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/07/25 ... e-shabbos/

Highlights: 2009 Elrom cab, 2009 Capcanes, Agur Rosa, 2012 Hajdu Franc, 2007 Brob Syrah, 1999 Hagafen Syrah!, and many others
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.