Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

2010 Flam Reserves

User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

2010 Flam Reserves

by Andrew B » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:50 pm

Any feedback on these? They are pricey in the US, but if they are as good quality as Castel (ahem) or Yarden SV (ahem), then maybe price is justified?
User

R Liberman

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:38 am

Re: 2010 Flam Reserves

by R Liberman » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:47 pm

I recently attended a tasting of these at a local wine shop. The event was hosted by Royal Wine and Gilad Flam was there as well. My wife and I tasted the Syrah, Cab and Merlot Reserve and thought they were all excellent. We purchased some of each, but I haven't cracked any of them open yet. I do think they are on the pricey side, though. Whether or not the price is justified will be determined when we've had a chance to open them up. I'll report back once I've done that.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Andrew the Flam Cab, Reserve to me may well be the best Cabernet out there. Sure there are others Covenant, Yarden SV, Herzog's Mount Veeder and others, but it is up there. I will be getting some to do a blind side by side of it and Benyo's 2009 and some others. It is VERY European! Very lovely! So 100% NOT Israeli, though you can sense the heat - just not like Yarden and others.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

by Andrew B » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:29 pm

David Raccah wrote:Andrew the Flam Cab, Reserve to me may well be the best Cabernet out there. Sure there are others Covenant, Yarden SV, Herzog's Mount Veeder and others, but it is up there. I will be getting some to do a blind side by side of it and Benyo's 2009 and some others. It is VERY European! Very lovely! So 100% NOT Israeli, though you can sense the heat - just not like Yarden and others.

Fascinating. What about the Merlot and Syrah (latter of which is slightly cheaper)
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:00 am

Andrew -

I have not tasted any of their kosher vintages, but can tell you that the Flam Syrah was one of the very best in Israel in their non-kosher phase, when I was a regular customer. The Merlot reserve was very powerful and unique in the early vintages when Golan was using fruit from vineyards near the winery, in fact in some vintages he blended in small amounts of Cabernet Sauvignon to tame it somewhat (!). However recent vintages are with fruit from Upper Galilee, so likely more refined.

Rogov z"l published advance tastings of the 2010 Flam reserves in his last guide, and they were all very highly rated.

mike
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:12 pm

Andrew,

I totally agree with Dave, the CabSav is one of the very best out there. The Merlot is excellent and so is the Syrah (also one of the best in its class). Regarding pricing, given the wines' quality and compared with the prices of the Yarden SV's I don't think these are so expensive. But all are still quite young and if possible I'd wait 2-3 years at least before opening any.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Yakov F

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:22 am

by Yakov F » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:23 pm

I would also agree that these are terrific wines. The 2010 Syrah, the reserve cab and merlot are very drinkable now, and getting better all the time. The winery feels the Syrah will age for around 10 years. I am not versed in the US pricing so whether or not they are overpriced I cannot say. In Israel they are prices high, perhaps overpriced, but they are worthwhile. They are more expensive than the Yarden SV and better imho.

Yakov
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:04 am

Just had the cab sav reserve this shabbos - FILTHY!!!! Syrah and Merlot are also old world, the merlot 08 from Benyo reminds me of the flam and both are some of the best kosher old style merlot out there.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:21 pm

I have only had the Syrah and love it
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:41 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by lewis.pasco » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:42 pm

I can't comment on the 2010 versions as I have not caught up with any of the Flam reserve series wines in quite some time. However early vintages of the Cab Sauv Reserve were excellent wines, deserving consideration and comparison with ANY red wines made in Israel.

Out of curiosity I visited the winery website to see what vineyard info they posted there, and note that they listed Avraham Friedman as their "viticulturist" in Kerem Ben Zimra. If that info is correct and up to date, then I will say that they are working with one of the best grape growers in KBZ, without question! I worked with his Cabernet years ago while at the Tishbi winery, and Friedman is an excellent grape grower and person.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:47 pm

The Flam Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon may be the best kosher Cab in Israel and the rest of the 2010 Reserve wines are terrific as well. Additionally, the coming 2010 Noble (anticipated release will be next year some time) should vault to somewhere near the top of the list of Israel's best kosher wines. If you are interested, I recently wrote about Flam and included detailed notes for thier current wines (and the Noble): http://www.yossiescorkboard.com/?page_id=2578.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com