Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

This is a Test / WeeksEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

This is a Test / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:49 am

bsd
At times sittuations or people or me myself just dont seem to make sense.
Answers at those times aren't too obvious. Faced with contradictions;how can I proceed ?
If I knew it wouldnt be a test.But one thing is for sure if I become upset or despondent the battle turns to defeat.
One has to as they say- keep the faith and eventualy ,somehow all for the best will prevail.
Have a good one; h
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

Re: This is a Test / WeeksEnd wine

by ChaimShraga » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:55 pm

Testing the Poliziano, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, 2010

Dark cherries, minerals, cedar., with savory tannins leave an appropriately dry effect. Quite lovely despite a helping of oak and 14% ABV, both of which are well cloaked, this is a solid wine that can improve with three-five years of cellaring.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:16 pm

Hi Harry, shavua tov,

Friday night:

Gush Etzion, Lone Oak Reserve, Syrah 2008: OK this is something that doesn't happen often to me as this wine, being only 5 years past harvest and this is the fame 2008 vintage we're talking about, is clearly on its decline already. With 13% Petit Verdot blended in and aged for 13 months in french oak barrels. Garnet in color with on the nose cherries, plums, a touch of rosemarine and smokey oak. Medium-bodied with on the palate flavors of slightly sour cherries, plums, mocha, roasted herbs, a bit of acid, with some heat rising and only a barely perceptible hint of tannin on an average finish. Still enjoyable but not for so long, DRINK UP! 13.5% Abv.

Shabbat lunch:

Binyamina, Reserve, Roussanne 2012: Tavor and Binyamina have both released this year the first kosher Israeli Roussanne, Tavor's version being the first and which I have already reviewed here more than 6 months ago. I have also greatly enjoyed a number of bottles. There are 3 noticeable differences between the Tavor and the Binyamina. The Tavor is unoaked, come from fairly elevated vineyards in the Golan Heights and is made of 100% Roussanne.
Binyamina's version is flushed out with 5% Marsanne and 5% Viognier. 30% of the wine was fermented and aged in French oak barrels for 6 months and didn't go through malolactic fermentation. The vineyards from which the grapes were sourced are situated in the region of Mount Gilboa which is in the lower Galilee at "only" 450 meters above sea level. Light gold in color with on the nose notes of green tea, honeysuckle, apricot, orange zest and scents of fir tree. Medium, perhaps medium to full-bodied with on the palate more green tea and some pleasant herbaceous bitterness as well as apricot and peaches, quince, almonds with good acidity and a touch of tannins with citrus zest lingering on a long finish. Very very interesting wine that keeps changing and evolving in the glass with air. With a tad more acid I would have probably enjoyed it even more. Different and well worth trying. 13% Abv.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

2008 Yarden Pinot Noir, very enjoyable, typicity issues aside.
2010 Yogev Cabernet Sauvignon, quite nice, easy drinking.

A good week to all,

Isaac
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:26 am

I had a bottle of my 2010 Zin, very satisfying. Then today, I had a bottle of California Classic Cellars 2005 Cab/Syrah. Very nice, and my hat is off to Rabbi Shmuel Peretz. It was easily worth probably double what was paid. Although it was gifted by someone or other, I think I remember it selling pretty cheap. Easily worth mid teens up to $20, even in the nonkosher market. The more I drink of my Zin, the more convinced I am that it is worth the $30 or so I am asking for it.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:35 am

Craig here is my opinion of that wine:

2005 California Classic Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon/Syrah - Score: B+ to A-
This wine is a 50-50 blend of Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon and has a story behind it that I am still trying to track down, till then I can say what I know. Samuel Perez, a wine supervisor, made the wine in the early days of Herzog Winery and he made a bunch of wine on the side. The first set of wine was in 2003 and 2004 under the Kiddush Hashem label, mostly Syrah. Those wines were hit and miss, some were great and some were flat and painful, classic signs of poor bottling lines, but he and his consulting wine maker – clearly had skills. After that he made wine under the California Classic Cellars label – in 2004 and 2005, but that is all I know. Someone out there – I need more info on this whole story!

Anyway, back to the wine, the wine is a 50/50 blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah and the wine plays like a two headed monster – showing both its sides at different times, but not at the same time – much like the Israeli and Aussie Cab/Shiraz blends.

The wine starts off very much like a rich and startling Cali Shiraz, with deep animal, earth, and rich coffee grind nose, along with smoky notes, cherry, and licorice. The mouth is rich, ripe, and round, and very mineral based with rich mouth bracing and coating tannin – at the same time, with loads of tasty char, along with blackberry, blackcurrant, black plum, blueberry, and lovely rich oak. The finish is perfectly balanced with good mineral, earth, nice bracing and balancing acid, still insane tannin, leather, tobacco, black tea, more char, and raspberry – BRAVO! This is a really unique and richly expressive wine that needs an hour or two to come to life.

That said, the wine has changed a fair amount since that tasting (I had three bottles of it) and my opinion stays the same - a great wine for the price. That said. Here is my post of what I knew of the story of CCC. IF you have more, please send me his contact info, so the real story can be put out there!!!

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/05/10 ... m-cellars/

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Gedalya P

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:01 am

by Gedalya P » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:54 am

Three port-style wines:
Shiloh Fort 2010 was the sweetest. It was made from Shiraz grapes and aged in oak for 20 months. It was the most approachable.
Tura Porturra 2009 was full-bodied, less sweet, and more complex. It was made from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes and barrel aged for 36 months. It took a while to open up (as do all Tura wines due to their long barrel aging) and was delicious. A perennial favorite.
Tzuba Port-Style Dessert Wine was between the other two in sweetness. It was made from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes and aged in French oak for 14 months. It was bursting with fruits flavors and was very smooth. It was my favorite of the tasting.
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:44 pm

2011- dalton petite syrah - still a good wine but I'm getting bored of it.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:19 pm

Hi ; enjoyed the terrenal spanish cab . Nice spiciness. With a long finish. Once again yarden viognier 06;yes 06. Not a complaint color of honey lots of flavor. H
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:18 pm

Fri Night - Weinstock Petite Sirah, light but tasty
Sat Lunch - Peraj Petita, trusty and flavorful
no avatar
User

Moshe F

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Queens, NY

by Moshe F » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:43 pm

This weekend i had
2007 carmel appellation cabernet franc, was drinking nicely but had, what i thought was, muted red fruit flavors, with only a hint of vanilla and passive oak. It felt mature...
2009 Golan Heights Winery Yarden Pinot Noir, enough flavor but not enough body and a little too light for a meal with heartier foods. A nice gift from our guests for sure.
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Landsman Zin- several months after its release, this is by far the best this wine has shown for me to date. Fully open and showy within 15 minutes of opening, beautiful nose, gobs of fruit, very friendly tanins. I think this one now rivals the finest zins on the kosher market, Four Gates included, although I haven't opened one of those in a while.

Speaking of Zin, I tried the Agua Dulce a while back but never got a chance to post any notes. I will try it again soon and give more details, but briefly, I liked it quite a bit. The nose is stunning and I really enjoyed the herbal, green notes on the finish which adds some character and complexity and makes this wine a very unique one in the kosher zinfandel market. The fruit is ripe but I did not find it off-putting. Unforetunately it has been awhile and I took no notes since it was Yom Tov, but overall I would say I enjoyed this one quite a bit more than anyone else I have seen give notes on it.

And as long as I am giving non-notes on wines I tasted a while back, the Agua Dulce Syrah is in my opinion a Purim wine. My wife cooks up Hamentashen every year with a fig-based filling. WE eat them hot right out of the oven and cold the next day. AS I was sipping the Syrah, all I kept thinking was, "I need to hold a bottle for Purim to have with those Hamentashen!!" Not my normal reaction to Syrah.

Shavua Tov- and Harry- sorry for my extended absence.
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:36 am

Gee, Jonathan, thanks for the review. I think the only other review of the Zin was from Raccah, and we all know he has "particular tastes". Not that he shouldn't. Indeed, we all should approach wine from our unique perspectives. So I'm happy that the Syrah will become your wine to drink with fig hamentaschen. At least it will be your wine to drink. That's a lot better than being your wine to get rid of, but certainly not as good as being your go-to wine to serve with everything, until it runs out at the winery. And I know you didn't mena it was ONLY good to serve with fig hamentaschen, just that there was a perceived affinity there, a synergistic effect between they AG 2010 Syrah and fig hamentaschen. Actually, it's pretty funny. Now I gotta learn to make fig hamentaschen. Please post your wife's recipe.
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:37 pm

Craig Winchell wrote:Gee, Jonathan, thanks for the review. I think the only other review of the Zin was from Raccah, and we all know he has "particular tastes". Not that he shouldn't. Indeed, we all should approach wine from our unique perspectives. So I'm happy that the Syrah will become your wine to drink with fig hamentaschen. At least it will be your wine to drink. That's a lot better than being your wine to get rid of, but certainly not as good as being your go-to wine to serve with everything, until it runs out at the winery. And I know you didn't mena it was ONLY good to serve with fig hamentaschen, just that there was a perceived affinity there, a synergistic effect between they AG 2010 Syrah and fig hamentaschen. Actually, it's pretty funny. Now I gotta learn to make fig hamentaschen. Please post your wife's recipe.

Indeed Craig, I certainly did not mean to imply that the Syrah should only be served in that limited niche. Actually it went well with what we served (roast lamb) and our guests really liked it as well. And as a dyed-in-the-wool non-wine snob, it has never bothered me to note something about a wine that will sound absurd but is what I was thinking. So some will scratch their head or doubt my palate, but until you actually sit down with me to a fig hamentashen and the AG 2010 Syrah, you'll never really know. :mrgreen: Actually I hope it actually matches now that I've put it in writing.

As for the Zin, if I recall, David Raccah wrote it up and tasted it wtih several others. I think I saw one other reference to it on this board, and I think in both instances, overripe fruit was mentioned which is why I specifically mentioned that I thought the fruit was fine for the style of wine. I look forward to drinking more.

Oh and I will ask my wife for the recipe to her famous fig hamentashen.